1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A different kind of Critique my Jantzen (Shirt and Suit)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by new obsession, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Er, for what? The style all in all is good. I guess I forgot to ask: Pleats? I'd assume from there being cuffs, but you never know.

2. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

new obsession, Shirt and suit look very nice. My only remark would be that I fond the shoulders on the shirt a tad too wide. Then again, I have been known to agonize for hours in front of my mirror on shoulders. I really cannot decide exactly where they should sit (yes, I know the rule-of-thumb).

3. new obsession

new obsession Senior member

Er, for what? The style all in all is good. I guess I forgot to ask: Pleats? I'd assume from there being cuffs, but you never know.

Yes, pleats.

4. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Forward or reverse?

5. new obsession

Forward or reverse?

As I understand it, reverse pleats open away from the front of the pants (and are generally the American standard pleat), and forward pleats open towards the front. BY that definition there are double reverse pleats.

6. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Oh... somehow I thought HK tailors did forward pleats as standard. Personally I think they look way better, but just my humble opinion.

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Always, always, always decide for yourself. Cannot stress this enough. It looks nice though.

I'll second that. I love the fabric and would wear it myself in a heartbeat. It is, though, a bit bold, and some people might not be comfortable with it. If that's the case, the wearer's reticence often shows.

8. minimal

minimal Senior member

It looks *great*, and at < $500 is just incredible. I've seen MTM at 4 times that price come out much worse here in NY, USA.

The only thing I'd note is that the cuffs of the shirt, as well as the suit, seem a little large. The length of the shirt sleeves is great, but I'd make the cuff a little tighter. Maybe this would be for the whole sleeve too: just a little narrower.

But really, that's very very nice for the price you paid for it. I'm very surprised others aren't echoing this.

I've heard of some tailors using the edge of the bolt with the identifiers on it somewhere in their suits as a way of proving they used the genuine article.

9. new obsession

I'll second that. I love the fabric and would wear it myself in a heartbeat. It is, though, a bit bold, and some people might not be comfortable with it. If that's the case, the wearer's reticence often shows.

My wife's involvment in the decision has nothing to do with my doubts about wearing it. It has more to do with the fact that when surrounded by too many options my brain tends to shut down. Sort of a sensory overload thing.

Something different happened with the Chan suit I had made. My wife liked the fabric, and I was unsure about it. I still am. But my reticence there might also be linked to the fact that after one wearing I think some alterations still need to be made for comfort and fit. I plan to post pics of that suit soon, and will need some serious advice.

10. new obsession

It looks *great*, and at < $500 is just incredible. I've seen MTM at 4 times that price come out much worse here in NY, USA.

The only thing I'd note is that the cuffs of the shirt, as well as the suit, seem a little large. The length of the shirt sleeves is great, but I'd make the cuff a little tighter. Maybe this would be for the whole sleeve too: just a little narrower.

But really, that's very very nice for the price you paid for it. I'm very surprised others aren't echoing this.

I've heard of some tailors using the edge of the bolt with the identifiers on it somewhere in their suits as a way of proving they used the genuine article.

I agree as to the shirt cuffs, I had them made very large. The first time they were snug, and the second time they were still snug, resulting in a sleeve length that was too short for my liking, so I measured a brooks brothers OTR shirt I had with me and said match it. Thereby resulting in the sleeve length I wanted, because it wasn't getting hung up on my wrist, but resulting in a pretty big cuff.

11. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Any stylist suggestions?

Stylist, eh?

For a different kind of assistance that you probably prefer be local, look at the AICI's website.

12. new obsession

Stylist, eh?

For a different kind of assistance that you probably prefer be local, look at the AICI's website.

Now I understand --- that should say stylistic[​IMG]