• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A different approach to wearing a scarf.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
There is something to be said for wearing silk scarves like cravates. Tie a simple knot in them and stuff 'em down your shirt.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the late Bijan.

RIP.

- M

AE7

Reaction score
reminds me Politburo:
00zrft18.jpg
7bd4055e3e735076fac271cfk8.jpg

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Were you eating lobster with butter?

Exactly what I thought.

Flartchy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
PT, can you post revised photos of you after you ditch the medals on your lapels, wear a solid blue spread collar shirt, roll the scarves and knot them around your neck and tuck the ends into your shirt. I bet you will start looking a lot better and a lot more hetero.
I dunno, I like the "Los Angeles 1984" olympic pin. And I can't abide that way of wearing a scarf (what the quote above me describes) any more than I can abide seeing pics on this forum of guys who've rolled their pants up one hem-width. I think if people are commenting on the specific (odd) way you wear a piece of otherwise normal clothing... you're doing it wrong. What you want to hear is, "Wow you look great!" not "Wow I love the way you tie your shoelaces!"

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Thanks. I think there are two ways this forum have served me: 1) when I don't know how to wear, what to wear, how it fits, this forum is great for that information on accepted practices, 2) in trying something different, some feedback on how it looks. The usual way of wearing a scarf works best with simple geometric or small patterns that come through when a scarf is tied up as a knot or stuffed in a shirt as an ascot. I am trying to find is there a way to wear a Hermes or similar scarf that has a large pattern. So the question is in this particular case is not how it is usually worn but rather does this work, with the response being overwhelmingly "no" so far.

Still, it was worth a try, and I much appreciate the feedback. The pin is from the Berlin 1936 Olympics.

Flartchy

Reaction score
I agree with what you say, to a certain point. Keep in mind that the "accepted practices" are the "accepted practices" within this forum. Sometimes they will work in your environment, often they won't. Who knows, maybe in some part of the world wearing scarves the way you did will not only get you a threesome with the hottest twins in town but will land you on the 7 o'clock news as the most fashionable guy south of Nome. Where I'm from, wearing something like that will literally get you gunned down in the street. Which is why I suggest you always do a reality check before following any advice you receive on the 'net. They're cool patterns but IMHO if you have to wear an item in a totally oddball way to put the pattern to its best use, I think you might wish to get another pattern. Form first, decoration second.

Blurv

Reaction score
Props on the lapel pins, but I generally agree with the posts thus far. It looks like you're wearing JUST a scarf and blazer. I think a shirt is really necessary here.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
I dunno, makes it look like you're wearing a blouse to me. Ballsy as **** though.

+1

Never stop playing around with clothes, PT.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I would be interested in getting some feedback on what makes this wrong. I am not trying convince others that this looks good or is an acceptable way of doing it, but more fundamentally addressing why some things work and others don't.

Are there some fundamental rules of fashion that this violates? For example, in my opinion, clothing that comes off looking sloppy, proportions that look out of place, juxtaposition of similar patterns, adding an ethnic component to a traditional dress, mixing styles (for example a tee shirt with a suit), or violations of nature (capri on women), would be good reasons. A large pattern that looks too much like a woman's blouse or a superman's costume would also be good reason. This forum focuses on traditional style, so within that guandre there are examples of pink slacks, the right t-shirt under a sports coat, etc. that takes hold and become acceptable. I should probably admit that if I saw this on some RAP artist with diamond rings and all the other flamboyant **** they wear I would immediate relegate it is the style-de-douche, and I never understand how anyone would ever wear runway crap of fashion shows (some of the stuff on girls comes off OK, but on guys its mostly crap), but much of today’s styles, including ties and sports costs, must have started with someone just trying something different, and somehow it caught on.

So offering myself up as an object of ridicule, I would like to generate some discussion on the basic aesthetics of men’s fashion within the narrow confines of acceptable variations on traditional non-casual clothing. Is it all just driven by designer marketing and movie icons?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will poast after lunch. Snarky as I am, I want to be clear about what I find to be wrong.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
I would like to generate some discussion on the basic aesthetics of men's fashion within the narrow confines of acceptable variations on traditional non-casual clothing. Is it all just driven by designer marketing and movie icons?

I think your Allen Edmonds shoes that you painted with white dots are an acceptable variation on traditional non-casual clothing.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think your Allen Edmonds shoes that you painted with white dots are an acceptable variation on traditional non-casual clothing.

s8IoY.jpg

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here they are:

1. It draws out your chin to the point where I automatically assumed you were morbidly obese.
  2. The scarf draws attention away from your face and not toward your face where it should be. (To really get this effect use a scarf with the busty chick... something this thread really needs.)
  3. It obscures your neck giving you a troll look. No neck: hard for us humans to get used to seeing you as something other than a circus freak.
  4. Style wise it looks very much like a bib and it is hard for us viewers to break out of the mindset that tells us it is not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads