• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Decent Tailor in Philadelphia?

haithman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I attend college in Philadelphia and will be buying two suits in the next week or two for interviews and when I start to work. I am a pretty slender guy and on a budget so no MTM or anything for me.
Anyways, I am looking for a decent tailor in Philly preferably downtown because I do not own a car. Probably just some hems, bringing shirts/coat in etc nothing too drastic and I don't want to spend much because my suits will probably top out around $400.
Any recommendations?

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out the royal custom tailor at juniper and walnut.

123 S Juniper St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: (215) 732-6760

nice guy, i've had several pairs of pants hemmed/taken out etc. and he's always been great.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hooker4186
check out the royal custom tailor at juniper and walnut.

123 S Juniper St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: (215) 732-6760

nice guy, i've had several pairs of pants hemmed/taken out etc. and he's always been great.

he's pretty expensive imo, but maybe i'm just spoiled by cheap chinese tailors. I'd give richard chae a try, he's gotten good reviews on this forum. 142 S 15th Street,

phillyesq

Reaction score
I'm drawing a blank on his name right now, but I've used the tailor at Westbury Cleaners on 15th and Spruce (215.735.2938). He's a nice, old school Italian guy -- he does all of the tailoring, and seems to run the place with his wife. I called BB downtown and asked for a recommendation, and that was where they sent me.

He does a very nice job -- I've taken 4 suits and 1 topcoat there, and been pleased with all.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IF you can get a ride somehow, try Joseph Centofanti. He is regarded as one of the best in the area. It's about a 20min ride out of the city. There is also a train station right behind his shop.

Centofanti Custom Tailors
7 Station Ave.
Ardmore, PA 19003
Tel: 610-642-1926

haithman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the recommendations. Phillyesq what are the general rates at Westbury cleaners?
May also check out that place in Ardmore I think the R5 stops right there (take it to get to the apple store and coldstone)
Thanks

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try Ventresca's. Don't know their location. Ask for Len

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am actually looking for one in the area as well and Ardmore is closer to my current location then Philadelphia so I appreciate this information too. My family used to go an old school Italian tailor back in the day who has since retired and since then I haven't had a go-to. How are his prices?

I found this article on Joseph Centafanti (which I believe is the same as the one listed above) for those interested.

http://www.robbreport.com/archived-i...?article=12007

phdude

Reaction score
I go to Cappelli Tailors in wayne right on lancaster ave. He hand-sewed my rlpl sc sleeves beautifully, for a very reasonable price. i've taken dozens of items to him and never had a complaint, either on performance or price.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haithman
Thanks for all the recommendations. Phillyesq what are the general rates at Westbury cleaners?
May also check out that place in Ardmore I think the R5 stops right there (take it to get to the apple store and coldstone)
Thanks

I believe that I paid $30/suit last time I was there. That include hemming the pants and adding a cuff, sewing buttons onto the jacket, and perhaps minor alterations to the sleeves. I've had some more significant alterations on suits (taking in a jacket, taking in waist, hemming and adding cuffs, and adjusting sleeves) for about $55, if I recall correctly.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Try Ventresca's. Don't know their location. Ask for Len

They have moved from their original place in Elkins Park to Doylestown, PA. Quite a hike, more than an hour away from Philly. But I did hear good things.

Originally Posted by tonio028
I am actually looking for one in the area as well and Ardmore is closer to my current location then Philadelphia so I appreciate this information too. My family used to go an old school Italian tailor back in the day who has since retired and since then I haven't had a go-to. How are his prices?

I found this article on Joseph Centafanti (which I believe is the same as the one listed above) for those interested.

http://www.robbreport.com/archived-i...?article=12007

Yes, he is the same tailor from your link. His prices are kinda high. But Centofanti does fantastic work. I have brought 4 suits to him and each have cost around $200 (w/ working button holes). I am still waiting for a suit to be done and it's going to cost me around $250 (w/ working buttons).

brescd01

Reaction score
Centofanti never charges more than other tailors so far as I know for the same thing. But he ends up doing more to make the results perfect. I have wasted good clothes going elsewhere. The guy in the Westbury is very good, but very moody and difficult, as are supposedly most Neapolitan tailors. Chae is not so hot.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
They have moved from their original place in Elkins Park to Doylestown, PA. Quite a hike, more than an hour away from Philly. But I did hear good things..

They are two brothers, Len and Frank. Frank closed his store and relocated to Lens location.

(215) 348-3139

145 West State Street
Doylestown PA 18901

Ag229487

Reaction score
^^ Sounds interesting

Anybody know of a good tailor in the Suburban Wilmington area, or West Chester?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend Royal Custom Tailors. He did a bad job with tailoring a SC. He fought me over sleeve length and didn't want to fix the bunching problem in the back. I had to ask him three times to raise the sleeves and he barely did enough. Even though he has fabric and seems to be able to make suits, I asked him about canvassing and he seemed to not know what I was talking about. And by the handiwork that he did with tailoring my suit, I would think twice about using him again. On the other hand, the in house tailor at the RL store did a great job. Maybe you can find out who she is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics