• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Decent Tailor in Philadelphia?

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Mostly gone (closed his Philly shop, still working at his home in Williamstown NJ, according to Encathol): John Di Pietro of Di Pietro Custom Tailors on South Broad Street. Bespoke cutter and tailor, MTM shirts. AAAC member MrRogers was using him for bespoke about 8 years ago and was happy. SF member Encathol has many garments from him.
Indeed; I saw him on Saturday, August 26th. He mostly sees established clients and I think that he prefers to make bespoke garments, but he performs alterations, from what I have passively observed. (I have seen some off-the-rack garments with alterations invoices and a set of trousers for an established client who had lost a weight that were to be recut)

He has recreated his shop in condensed form in a shed beside his cottage, although fittings are performed in his master bathroom. Given the 'intimate' settings of fittings now, he prefers not see outright strangers, but I have the impression that he might take a referral from an established client. (Anemic stock market returns and familial conditions increasing the burdens upon him have opened his prospects, for the moment)

Mr. Di Pietro's Shed.jpg

I expect to see him next in early October. He is working on a tweed 'travel coat' for me. He works at a more relaxed pace in the past, as befits a partially retired 88-year-old but remains a conscientious and genial tailor. (I have become something of a 'friend of the family', so I might not be entirely objective)
Travel Coat Laid Out.jpg

I have not seen Ray Nepomuceno for two years, not out of any dissatisfaction, but only because I have not wanted shirts lately, although I have designs upon commissioning some in a year or two. He makes what I have found to be a very respectable shirt and is very pleasant to work with.

DiggerBuzz

Reaction score
Would anyone have any recommendations on where to get a decent quality Italian suit in Philadelphia for an affordable cost? I do not mind spending, but due to the nature of my career (Funeral Director) I am extremely hard on clothing. Any help would be great. Thanks.

g2x222

Reaction score
Took a few items to Thomas Tillman Bespoke for alterations last year. He's not cheap, but he has a great eye for what needs to be done while also taking into account what is/isn't "worth it". He also likes to explain construction details.

Perhaps not the best tailor for simple alterations or cheap pieces.

With that said, I think he does most of his business with bespoke garments. When I was seeing him in the summer, he was preparing a fall trouser event, and he showed me a lot of very nice fabrics he'd have available.

His "workshop" is in a space in North Philly (a few blocks from K&A, unfortunately, although the shop is tucked away so you don't really notice), but he also does fittings/sales through Style By Blain in Chestnut Hill. I haven't been there, but some of you may be familiar, as SBB seems to have quite a nice selection of shoes that you don't typically see in the area (G&G, Alden, C&J, Paraboot).

g2x222

Reaction score
Question on a similar topic - can anyone recommend a cobbler? I have a pair of (casual) Wolverine boots w/ Christy soles that need to be resoled and would prefer to do it locally

nosch455

Reaction score
Question on a similar topic - can anyone recommend a cobbler? I have a pair of (casual) Wolverine boots w/ Christy soles that need to be resoled and would prefer to do it locally
I’ve had good experience with Fast Feet Shoe Repair in Wilmington. Not super local, but very good work and high quality materials (they had JR soles for a long time, now with the shortage I’m not sure)

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately Capa Cueros on Chestnut Street closed.
I would ask Voltaire, the owner of Style by Blain, whom he recommends. If you're in center city, Steve Jamison at Blue Sole Shoes or the shoe department folks at Boyd's can make suggestions.

Samir

Reaction score
Funny story about the interlining: I bought the lighter weight KS traveler coat a couple years ago but was a bit sad that the collar didn’t stay popped up. So I started searching online for a way to do this, and it’s a very rare topic (even for clothing nerds like us) and normally quite expensive (it usually involves a half-moon insert at the back of the neck and should have a shorter and longer piece of cloth on the under and outer side of the collar so that it naturally rolls up.

This is quite expensive.

Then I stumbled upon a costume forum where they talk about putting interfacing in collars for this exact purpose. I asked Ryan at Tailors Keep about it, he was intrigued, we tested it on the lighter weight KS traveller coat, and voila.

Bought this same lightweight KS Traveler and looking to do a similar adjustment to the collar. Anyone have a tailor in mind who may be able to do this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads