• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a day at the races

jase12

Reaction score
ok so spring racing season is coming up here in australia, and i am after some fashion advice from the gurus here. i could easily put a regular suit and tie combo together, but i'm sure that some of you guys have ideas of some little things that i could add to stand out from the crowd a little!?

base615

Reaction score
Mate, based on my experience at Randwick a couple of weeks ago, I have never seen such crimes committed against style in my life and I'm certainly no guru. I've never been to Melbourne (or any other racetrack before that day) but I assume it's similar. Having never been to the races before I was expecting to see good style but I was quite frankly shocked.

To blend in you need the shittiest black suit you can find, white fashion type shoes with winkle picker pointy toes, black or grey shirt, silver satin tie, sunglasses and a spikey haircut. Seriously, that's the majority of people there.

If you wear a decent fitting suit, nice shirt, tie and pocket square you'll be setting yourself above the crowd without even trying.

Cheers,

Craig

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1812627906_9760cfa5a0.jpg
strollerandcutawaycopy1vb.jpg
ascotqueen.jpg
ladiesascot.jpg
2596537651_740b0b0bcc_o.jpg
ascot_getty700_27444s.jpg
P12202.jpg
There was a time within living memory that the Melbourne Cup was a full dress occasion like the Royal Ascot and morning dress was de rigeur.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have to admit, morning dress is pretty cool. It's a shame I don't see it's revival anytime soon though I do have a friend who had a wedding in morning dress recently. Oddly enough, Thom Browne did try to back it back in his own special way
laugh.gif

em36

Reaction score
Having been to Randwick a few weeks ago, and Flemington last year, dark suit would be de rigeur. Depending on where you'll be (Committee Room at Randwick, Chairman's Club at Flemington), you won't see a lot of pointy shoes, black suits. If you're in the member's lawn, I can't think of many black suits, either. Weather is getting warmer in Syd, so fillies will be dressing even less than usual! Good luck!

bartil

Reaction score
What's the (modern) rules of wearing gaiters with morning- resp. evening jacket?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bartil
What's the (modern) rules of wearing gaiters with morning- resp. evening jacket?

The modern rule is to not wear spats. Spats were only a transient fad in the long history of morning dress anyway. They were never worn with evening dress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads