• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

a day at the races

jase12

Reaction score
ok so spring racing season is coming up here in australia, and i am after some fashion advice from the gurus here. i could easily put a regular suit and tie combo together, but i'm sure that some of you guys have ideas of some little things that i could add to stand out from the crowd a little!?

base615

Reaction score
Mate, based on my experience at Randwick a couple of weeks ago, I have never seen such crimes committed against style in my life and I'm certainly no guru. I've never been to Melbourne (or any other racetrack before that day) but I assume it's similar. Having never been to the races before I was expecting to see good style but I was quite frankly shocked.

To blend in you need the shittiest black suit you can find, white fashion type shoes with winkle picker pointy toes, black or grey shirt, silver satin tie, sunglasses and a spikey haircut. Seriously, that's the majority of people there.

If you wear a decent fitting suit, nice shirt, tie and pocket square you'll be setting yourself above the crowd without even trying.

Cheers,

Craig

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have to admit, morning dress is pretty cool. It's a shame I don't see it's revival anytime soon though I do have a friend who had a wedding in morning dress recently. Oddly enough, Thom Browne did try to back it back in his own special way

em36

Reaction score
Having been to Randwick a few weeks ago, and Flemington last year, dark suit would be de rigeur. Depending on where you'll be (Committee Room at Randwick, Chairman's Club at Flemington), you won't see a lot of pointy shoes, black suits. If you're in the member's lawn, I can't think of many black suits, either. Weather is getting warmer in Syd, so fillies will be dressing even less than usual! Good luck!

bartil

Reaction score
What's the (modern) rules of wearing gaiters with morning- resp. evening jacket?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bartil
What's the (modern) rules of wearing gaiters with morning- resp. evening jacket?

The modern rule is to not wear spats. Spats were only a transient fad in the long history of morning dress anyway. They were never worn with evening dress.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.