A Daily "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" Fit Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by F. Corbera, Mar 22, 2012.

1. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I agree. Dressing MC is by far more expensive than SW&D and this includes MMM/Jil type SW&D.

My gut would say MC purchases are better LT investments, though.

2. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

I don't think that, some might. Conversley, if you feel the MC forum is just about ties and pocket squares then you're missing the point as well.

3. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Timotune's fit is getting bashed by some on the mc side. I actually prefer aether's fit because it seems less affected than timotunes. TT is usually considered to wear his SC's too tight and gets hammered on it nearly every time he posts.

4. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

They're both mediocre; some strengths, some weaknesses.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

don't dig the sw&d shoe aesthtics ever...

6. ma1

ma1 Senior member

I'd totally go with timotune on this one. It's just unusual enough to be stylish - cargo pants with the sc, and the buckles on the shoes pick up the cargo pockets. The buttons on the shirt and coat almost match, his pants aren't the usual mc approved mc hammer shit, overall it looks modern.

It might be the way aether is posing but I hate it. The vest is too casual workwear to work with a tucked in dress shirt and those leather shoes. It looks kind of ridiculous, like he didn't know what to put on to keep himself warm. It doesn't work with a short sleeve shirt. The vest hem and the pants rise are incongruous. Vest and pants are too matchy in colour. It's just not good..

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

It really depends as SW&D cannot rely on sales as much to have a decent look, in the end I don't disagree it is possible to have an ok MC wardrobe for less than people would expect (still a high cost) but it's almost impossible to have a wardrobe made of certain designers for cheap unless you wanna look like you're wearing seasonal rejects (see MrPorter sales). Now the thing with SW&D is that people usually accumulate less, which is a good thing. This is in no way a post that posit one way is better than the other, just saying designer clothing can get quite expensive. On the other hand they have much greater resale value.

8. ma1

ma1 Senior member

This is silly, you're assuming you must have high end designer clothing to have good street style. That's definitely not the case. People thrift for shit all the time. Shit, the satire in zoolander of taking inspiration from the homeless isn't even off the mark. A lot of style can be found in working class culture. Musicians and artists are some of the biggest trend setters around and they're usually dirt poor.Saying you have to wear dior and jil to have good street style is ridiculous.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Sure but I was answering a comment saying having a MMM/Jil/whatever wardrobe was less expensive than MC wear, just wanted to illustrate why this wasn't necessary true. BTW a lot of musicians are little bitches now and just wear what fashion tells them not the other way around. Baby rockers make me want to take a baseball bat to their porkpie adorned heads.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Just as MC pains about fit though, SWD is (or aspires to, at least, maybe isn't right now) about the cut too - the kinds of clothes you're talking about (thrift or working class, other 'real' origins) usually have some sort of basis in military or work, and therefore were made to carry tools or weapons without any regard to fit, often without comfort, and especially not fabrics. The 'real deal' versions of this kind of clothing are usually not regarded highly in this forum for those reasons. See the recent discussion regarding original surplus German army trainers vs the Margiela remake versions as an example.

11. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

I'd be willing to give it to the MC side if he took away some unnecessary details. Between the cargo pockets, the double monks, the matchy pocketsquare, and the gold buttons on the blazer, there's just too much going on. These little things draw too much attention to themselves, and he's just one bowtie away from being featured on Unabashedly Prep. :uhoh:

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Aether is giving me a Marty McFly vibe, but I'm not a fan of Timotune's either.
    Both of the CTP and Ivwri are better

13. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

On the cost debate, I will only add that for either aesthetic, there has to be a thorough and uncompromising knowledge of fit to be able to get by on sales dregs, ebay/thrifting and low-cost brands.

I would universalize that. While there may be as many conceptions of good fit as there are good designers, fit still remains a major piece of any streetwear look. And a major issue for the vast majority of bad MC posters is their poorly fitting clothes.

Of course, fit is still secondary to overall style.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

On a side note, I think the use of different caption fonts in the comparison examples unfortunately reinforces the stereotypes we have about each other... MC = crusty old-style Italianate serif. SW&D = frivolous modern san-serif with no ties to the past. If the point of the thread is to talk about common ground (which I'm not sure it is) or to encourage better cross-border relations (which I'm also not sure it is) or maybe just appreciating the differences (which is what I think it should be about)... how about going with a more neutral font? American Typewriter? Courier? Comic Sans?

15. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member