• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Daily "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" Fit Comparison Thread

Macallan9

Reaction score

I simply disagree that MC likes boring. There's celebration for flair of all sorts - often in bad taste - from "colorful" pocket square and ties to silly cloned bead bracelets. There's an apprentice-dandy #menswear blogger aspiration in MC that you cannot discount. Most people don't dress in a boring/conservative way on that side and these are not the looks that are celebrated. A boring conservative look is just not photogenic enough to get anyone excited.
So, without getting to the rest of your rant, this statement alone I believe to be a misrepresentation of what MC is. MC does not "like boring perfection". Many still have those blinders that they're aiming to achieve a "timeless" look - they're deluding themselves. In reality they're subjected to the same ebb and flow of trends as everyone else. Oooh a flower lapel, now I want one too! Yesterday, everyone wore chiseled toes, now everyone wants sleek round toes; we used to love Carlo Franco (gasp) now we love Drake's. etc etc etc ....

Again, I think those are small things within a narrow range of acceptable flair. A bead, shape of your toe, something in your lapel - these are really all tiny, tiny details. I'd agree that they're mostly in poor taste, but they don't overwhelm an entire outfit. They, in and of themselves, cannot make a good outfit horrible to me. I think "internet fashionista" with slight disdain, but that's about it.

As for boring conservative look not being photogenic enough - what about the entire conservative business dress thread?

I did go on for a long time, didn't I? Perhaps I should go back and edit. Oh well.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I suspect he just meant that the slim silhouette wasn't in fashion and then it came back because of Jil and Raf in the 90s.

Even on this point his claim is still untrue.

Many of today's slimmer fashions are directly derived from styles seen in the late 50s and early 60s with respect to suiting, not from styles seen in the 90s.

"repopularizing" slim fit doesn't mean that today's slim cuts are based on the innovative one but that the innovative one brought back the idea of slim fits, wherever the designs may draw inspiration from...

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TL;DR: The difference between MC and SW&D is that stupidity in experimentation is not reigned in on the SW&D side.

orly?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/25650_50#post_5318613

sFh7D.jpg

Macallan9

Reaction score

Are you serious? Do you not see the subsequent explosion of derision? That looks ******* ridiculous and everyone knows it. I'm sure you can find a better example of ridiculous things MC fawns over, but I don't think there was a single poster that had anything positive to say about that abortion. I don't know where C_N came up with that; as I recall I usually quite like what he wears.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Spoo isn't showing any cuff - the common MC critique would point this out in a heartbeat, yet because Spoo is Spoo, he gets a pass?

First thing I noticed. :laugh:

Isn't this considered sacrilege in some circles?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be mean, guys. Cravate is in Italy, looking to be adopted by the indigenous dandies and he just wants to feel and look like he belongs. It's all about fitting in

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No fit today?

How will I get my daily fill of snark and gross understatements now? :confused:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Hendrix's better personally just because in the one on the left nothing seems to fit; Hendrix has cool stuff (well except that t-shirt) it's just put together badly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Comparison #7: 03.29.12

[MC comments]

Neither are perfect. There is actually a guy who does the whole Ivy casual thing terrifically, and that is our own Pete (Shoreman....). I like to think that he would have picked a jacket that fit better, better fitting chinos, hemmed, and shoes that also have a bit more heft - maybe some good chukkas, or a chunkier brogue. The MC fit just doesn't pull what could be a decent fit together.

The SW&D fit is just... boring. If it was an MMA fight, it would be one in which neither guy was fighting to win, but fighting to not lose. I'm going to give this one to MC just for effort, Maybe Hendrix was singled out unfairly here, but it really seems like he just threw random stuff on. The MC guy... nothing fits, but it looks like he tried to put together a cohesive outfit, but just failed. Again, it's a matter of whether you are giving point for effort or for making fewer mistakes, in a losing battle.

And yes, I'm pretty sure that Vox is sort of trolling, but it's still and interesting idea for a thread.

Miran2

Reaction score
Comparison #7: 03.29.12

[MC comments]

First and foremost, we must always check the original source...and when we do, we will note that the guy on the right's fit was not well received at all in SW&D:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/164384/the-waywt-discussion-thread/65220#post_5322414 and posts commenting on it.
This fit is not characteristic of SW&D at all...

The guy on the left is going for some MC casual thing and I'll leave it to the gurus in MC to rip it to shreds in terms of sizing, fitting, colouring, buttoning, blah blah blah....I can't see this being well-received in MCLand...maybe this fit is not characteristic of MC?!? Lord if I know...I don't go over there, on principle. On principle.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads