• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Daily "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" Fit Comparison Thread

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure that I agree on the Margiela German Army sneakers. I'd say that another shoe that is sleek (Common Projects tournaments, for example) might work, but low Margiela sneakers actually are not particularly sleek. I say that you either go with something like what he has on, or you just say, *******, and go with something really chunky.

sleek is not the correct word. The closed lacing is the key IMO. It lets the jeans sit better at the bottom when there's a narrow hem. Hard to explain and a real nit pick. maybe just personal preference.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The narrow hem allows stacking for, even calls for, some (not 6 inches of, but maybe a few inches of,) stacking. A narrow hem without either some "stacking" or being exaggeratedly short (the norm right now in #menswear), would shorten the legs, because the leg would end too abruptly. Jeans don't drape the same as trousers, so different guidelines hold. A bit of stacking is actually a continuation of the vertical pattern of creases, if you want to think of it that way.

I could be wrong, but this paragraph sounds like a concept of denim having an ongoing standard of what looks best. Is there anything in that paragraph that you wouldn't have said about denim five years ago?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The narrow hem allows stacking for, even calls for, some (not 6 inches of, but maybe a few inches of,) stacking. A narrow hem without either some "stacking" or being exaggeratedly short (the norm right now in #menswear), would shorten the legs, because the leg would end too abruptly. Jeans don't drape the same as trousers, so different guidelines hold. A bit of stacking is actually a continuation of the vertical pattern of creases, if you want to think of it that way.

I'm sorry, but what?

Legs ending abruptly because the jeans end at the top of the jeans without a bunch of puddling? To me that makes the leg look shorter by exaggerating just how much too long the pants are.

And why is a vertical pattern of creases good? Would that not be horizontal creasing anyway?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wrong? In what way?
You posts on this thread celebrate fits without articulating any standard or coherent aesthetic .
Color blocking? -- a vague, vapid term.
You are deconstructing the images and then praising constituent parts. Wrong. The essence of good fit is the seamless integration of items of clothing and the person in the clothes.
BTW. Count me as another who loathes those ridiculous boots featured so often here on MC.

I am trying to explain what makes one outfit work, or not.

The problem with your comments is that they assume that there out to be a "standard" aesthetic. The outfits here that have worked are definitely coherent. In fact, that's why they work. The outfits that don't work don't work for the same reason.

cpt's outfit works well as a casual outfit. Why would he wear a tie with those textures and colors? It would be as bad as those ridiculous ties with plaid shirts and jeans outfits that are popular with baristas at independent coffee bars. Maybe a knit or very casual tie would work, but why add an additional embellishment? He is already wearing a pocket square. He doesn't need 7 piece of flair.

I'm not going to discuss the details of your comments about Invri's outfit, except that right now, he is wearing a minimalist summer outfit that flows exceptionally well (I don't love the shoes, but I understand the choice), and that your changes would make him look like a pimp. Hat? How about a pimp stick to match?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry, but what?
Legs ending abruptly because the jeans end at the top of the jeans without a bunch of puddling? To me that makes the leg look shorter by exaggerating just how much too long the pants are.
And why is a vertical pattern of creases good? Would that not be horizontal creasing anyway?

Jeans don't drape. That was the point. There are all sorts of creases along the leg of a jean. If they were trousers with a good drape, that suddenly bunched, that would be a different story altogether.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Jeans don't drape.

I thought that I saw draping, stonewashed jeans pants in the MC Casual thread today. But, I did not look carefully and my observation could be prone to error.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing MC'ers should keep in mind is that just because Parker's fit is better doesn't mean its normative: its not like if you took the right sized copies of Parkers clothes and had Furo wear them that it'd look as good on him. It doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a black leather jacket.

Part of this casual clothing look right has to be the integration with the man. Parker's black and white minimalism works better for him than Furo's sort of eclectic Americana does for him, though the solution for Furo might well be exploring a more minimalistic Americana. I'm pretty sure Furo has short hair, for example, which would take Parker's outfit closer to punk or just plain affected.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A bit of stacking is actually a continuation of the vertical pattern of creases, if you want to think of it that way.

honestly, i'm unable to do it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I could be wrong, but this paragraph sounds like a concept of denim having an ongoing standard of what looks best. Is there anything in that paragraph that you wouldn't have said about denim five years ago?p

Possibly. More like 6 years ago. However, in 2000-2005 or so, jeans were worn wider and looser, with a wider hem. Different cuts look better worn differently. It's a truism. When companies like Julian Red, Acne, and Dior carrot fit jeans became popular, so did some degree of stacking. I have narrow hemmed jeans that stack more, and more relaxed jeans (like these RRL "slim fits" that I am wearing now) that I get hemmed only a little longer than my true inseam.

I'd say that the same applied to tailored clothing as well. If you are going to wear a jacket with a very swelled chest, a natural shoulder is probably going to look stupid. Imagine sticking spalla camica on a Huntsman jacket. Oi.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads