• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Daily "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" Fit Comparison Thread

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now, your analogy works, because SW&D does require knowledge of an aesthetic that has few masters. If you gave every SFer $25,000 to spend on the Atelier brands, all (excepting the few who had the requisite background) would look bad. With a knowledgeable Atelier SA as a guide, many would look good, by the Atelier mindset/criteria. I'd only say add that this knowledge is ephemeral. When Atelier closes, its aesthetic vision may not long outlive it. So while it may be more difficult to master, is it ultimately more rewarding? Fashion's built-in obsolescence may make it more difficult, but I think it can be a pointless difficulty.

I disagree that the knowledge is ephemeral. You are not trying to master one choreographed dance.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
About six years ago (I can't quite remember exactly when the change occurred), Style Forum was not divided between "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim." There was only a single "Clothing Forum."

The original What Are You Wearing Right Now? (WAYWRN) thread, thus, made no distinction among what bias of style or objective in dress a member of SF might have when posting. This absence of distinction also applied, of course, to all of the other clothing threads.

Some viewed this state as cacophony. Some viewed it as opportunity. Most, of course, did not care since the vast majority of SF members are largely passive consumers of other people's posts.

The idea to create a new "Streetwear and Denim" forum out of the Clothing Forum is encapsulated in this thread.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9644/new-streetwear-forum

What the Styleforum hath separated, let no man joineth together. This is the way of the blog.

The Thin Man

Reaction score

I disagree that the knowledge is ephemeral. You are not trying to master one choreographed dance.

Fair enough. If MC is that one dance (and it may be), it's a particularly complex one. The steps from the early '30s were similar to those in the early '60s, and were the clear basis for today. Not that most MC posters look timeless, but some do.

SW&D may be more multidimensional, but as you get deeper into your 30s or 40s, the imperative to continually update how you apply what you've learned seems thankless. You run the risk of looking very dated, with the stylistic language that you're using communicating to fewer and fewer people.

Anyhow, the contemporary-market dimension of SW&D has been hugely helpful to me. I guess my raw denim and W+H henleys will look decent for at least several years. I just don't live a life that lends itself to the Antwerp 6, etc.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with Fred G on these two. Both are discordant and don't make a lot of sense, despite each having one or two good elements. If I didn't know better I would think that both were simply trying to imitate the norms of the forums they are posting in, rather than actually understanding them. In these pictures, it's like the MC example is an SW&Der doing MC badly and the SW&D one is an MCer trying and failing to go street.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm with Fred G on these two. Both are discordant and don't make a lot of sense, despite each having one or two good elements. If I didn't know better I would think that both were simply trying to imitate the norms of the forums they are posting in, rather than actually understanding them. In these pictures, it's like the MC example is an SW&Der doing MC badly and the SW&D one is an MCer trying and failing to go street.

+1

Agreed. Another interesting point, the SWD crowd seems to favor the MC effort. While the MC crowd gives more credit to the SWD offering.

If the OP has succeeded in anything, it is in getting each side to concede some appreciation on the other. With the usual snark thrown in, of course...

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hobo is too MC, I think, Parker: the funny-socks-type... Why not just Helvetica or Univers? I think those can be used succesfully for both MC and SW&D style(s).
(Sans can be very MC – conservative business dress even, Fox. Think of all the 'big business logos'.)

:)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Comparison #1: 03.22.12

Ringing in late on Comparison #1

First of all some clarification: I am certain that both these gentlemen are very nice people. This is not about personality.
CTP120's outfit (Left) while not very exciting is at least well fitted and respectable. You can go anywhere in this outfit.
Ivwri's outfit (Right) ..well LOOK at it! The shoes are ridiculous and the outfit hangs on the man like a garbage bag. A sheer waste of money.

Coburn

Reaction score

Comparison #1: 03.22.12

I don't care care for SW&D but... my 2 cents.
This would work better if the trousers were lengthened to cover the top of the shoes. Then the drape and length of the jacket would echo the drape of the trousers. If I wore that, I would tuck in the shirt (sweater?) and top it with a hat. There is no way to fix the shoes.

CTP120 has a good fit but I hate seeing sport coats without ties. To me it looks like a junior executive at happy hour who forgot his tie on the bar stool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads