Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Daily "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" Fit Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by F. Corbera, Mar 22, 2012.

1. E TF

E TF Senior member

^ I guess Ivwri just looked interesting and cool, and a bit different. CTP120 looked good like he always does, but that was nothing new. Maybe if I spent more time (or in fact any time) in SW&D and thus there was no novelty factor, I would have reacted differently. Obviously CTP's coat (and shirt and trousers) is fantastic, and like I say, that's what I'd actually wear - just thought Ivwri's look had something extra to it. In the absence of context (i.e. his head and feet) it just look like an ill-fitting pile of cloth however.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Of course, clothes are usually worn by people, so this is something you generally don't have to consider.

3. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I don't think this comment is completely fair, as a rebuttal to my statement. The word "rules" might have been too definitive, but half of the questions and thread on MC are asking for fit consensus, recommendations on an outfit for a certain occasion. After a while, you can almost guess verbatim what will be said in response to these question, because one is now familiar with the established MC fit guidelines.

My question was only speculating that SW&D also has established guidelines, which would prevent us from understanding and appreciating the fit comparisons being offered in this thread.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know. It seems like the only guidelines for SW&D are color and brand. Fit goes out the window and they introduce terms like anti-fit, which is an excuse for anything not fitting properly.

6. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

My takeaway on this is that Ivwri's look is more dependent on personality and physique, while a variety of people can look good in CTP's clothes. (I'm 5' 7", 140 lbs. with 30" waist. I wear size 38.)

I'm not sure I can directly compare the two. My immediate preference would be CTP because I recognize that I cannot remotely pull off Ivwri's look, and it doesn't go with my personality anyways. And one can look worse in Ivwri's look if it's not pulled off successfully. Incidentally, I think wearing velcro shoes sockless sort of fits that look.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't really think Ivwri's look is something that is ever "pulled-off". It just looks bad.

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Not a bad start for the very first pair of photographs.

[​IMG]

Thank you for all of the thoughtful comments.

I hope as we go along, things will remain (become?) interesting.

9. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

color is a shade dark for springy/linen, atleast to go with those pants, but otherwise ctp's coat is damn sharp.

other dude looks like he's lounging in a mental clinic.

10. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

For me this shows what a huge influence the human element is in forming my reaction to the fit. With Ivwri's face and expression in the photo, the fit feels harmonious, rather than sloppy. Devoid of his expression (and attractiveness) adding the human element, the clothes look sloppy and careless to me. I think it is impressive that CTP120's fit stands up with nearly all human elements removed (including, and maybe especially, a more humanizing posture/movement).

I would not be comfortable with either fit for myself, but I like them both and really enjoyed looking at them in context with each other.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

11. Rincon

Rincon Senior member

SW&D gets props for "pushing the envelope" but I like the MC fit.

It's a beautiful jacket, no matter which forum you subscribe to.

12. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I am thinking of starting a thread pitting MC against medieval chainmail armor wearers.

13. lysandar

lysandar Senior member

If the topic is fit comparison, CTP120 gets my vote easy.

14. LA Guy

This, of course, is just ignorance and pretty obvious trolling. Anti-fit is usually a term applied to jeans, and jeans are often designed with this specifically in mind- lower back pockets, a deliberatly roomier top block that creates a slouchier fit. After all, you don't want to look like J-Lo. Well, okay, I don't want to look like J-Lo.

15. LA Guy

Some of the more sophisticated posters in SW&D could probably articulate some of the priniciples, but its considerably more difficult than in MC, where, honestly, the components of a good outfit can be encapsulated in a list of "rules". It takes a lot more experience, experimentation, and/or study.

In general, I think that MC fits (not the casual fits, which, honestly, are generally a trainwreck) are usually a solid B, with a very narrow standard deviation. I actually find that SW&D fits are harder to put together, and the mean is probably a generous B-, but with a great deal of deviation. There are guys who are consistent A's, and some other guys, and I'm not going to point at anyone in particular here, who are lucky to pull a passing grade.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012