A Daily "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" Fit Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by F. Corbera, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

[​IMG]

x post with edit- Both very nice, but I'd give it to the SW&D look- While the MC fit is decent n by a consistently great contributor, there's something not quite right about that jacket with those pants. the other is outstanding to my eye. I'm a complete noob in SW&D and frankly I just don't understand the arcane of the 'rules' - r there any? - but this 80s Miami-retro minus the padding?? combination seems to click.[​IMG] doesn't have the try hard adolescent awkwardness of some in that thread or is that bcause it's SW-lite?
    BTW thx Corbera I'm going to learn something here.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I wonder if the positive sway towards the SW&D look is based on the fact that everyone on MC is trying to be civil (which would contradict normal behavior here), or the fact that we are ignorant to their rules and traditional stipulations on fit (which would not allow us to correctly criticize, as is tradition here)?

Personally, i can only comment on the MC fit post, and it looks sartorial fine to me.

An interesting side note, notice how the MC pic is almost rigidly symmetrical in his pose (as most of our fit pics are). In contrast SW&D seems to have asymmetrical flair to his pose (which i assume is the underlying ethos to SW&D in general).

Once again, thank you F. Corbera, for making StyleForvm a more interesting place to visit :slayer:

3. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

When I viewed this on my phone, my inclination was toward the SW&D look. Upon closer examination, I'm more impressed by the MC entry. The fit is perefect, and the texture of the jacket really makes it pop.

I would prefer the SW&D look more if the jacket color were either closer to or further from that of the pants. I think it would also look better if it were visually elongated. The color blocking seems to somehow shorten his torso and his legs, giving him a somewhat boxy appearance. Overall, though its an inspired look and quite well executed.

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

there are none , just gotta all click together harmoniously when all is said and done :teach:

[​IMG]

wait, are you a robot?

5. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

There both great examples of the slightly rumpled. I love linen.

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

7. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I like the SW&D look minus those god-awful shoes. I don't get the fascination with velcro straps. Looks like grandpa's shoes.

Anyway, neither is better. I like em both.

8. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

there isn't one. perhaps one or two pairs of shoes with velcro straps i've seen get praised, one was the high top ann (not these lows but these aren't too awful in my opinion) and the other the mmm which were rather polarizing but liked by quite a few. (and kanye :uhoh:)

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like that I can't see through Ivwri's trou.

10. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I think it's time for a haitus from posting here for me. SF is going down strange roads. I'll keep my sartorial adventures in Chile updated on SF though.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that both are good examples of "casual" outfits. I am usually thought of as an SW&D guy, but I would probably be more inclined, personally, to dress like CPT120. However, in terms of juts plain style, I think that it's clear that Invri is packing serious heat, and would probably blow away most of the competition, on the forum, and from the looks of it, irl as well.

BTW, re. the question "Are there rules?" tbh, I think that the ideas of rigid "rules" are contrary to style, period. Rules are for propriety, not for "dressing well," casually or otherwise. Guidelines are slightly more acceptable, but it shows that it would show that you are still a newbie. It's the ability to combine textures, color, silhouettes, that are attractive and maybe a little surprising at the same time.

It's like dancing. When you start, you learn, 1, 2, 3 - 1, 2, 3. But good dancers use the basic elements and create something new, or play along the boundaries of the elements. Generally, "Looking good" goes way further than "looking correct". It's not Miami vice, by any stretch, though. The energy of that outfit is completely different.

12. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

As well as take the gold in the Canadian Formal Wear thread.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

14. E TF

E TF Senior member

Interesting - in comparison no1 I thought Ivwri was better, just; but in 1b I think CTP120 nudges ahead.
    Either way Ivwri's outfit would look ridiculous on me; I'd be perfect'y happy in CTP's.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You can't be serious. :confused: