A Daily "Mens Clothing" and "Streetwear and Denim" Fit Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by F. Corbera, Mar 22, 2012.

1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

So, Dad jeans can come back and you might be wearing them in the future? Why wait?

I was just pointing out that not everything in SW&D is about this year.

This is funny in a way that you did not intend.*

(*My English stuff has have a swelled chest, a bit of drape, and shoulders padded only by what nature and an active life give me.)

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Reblogging your post from earlier in this thread to this later point in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I follow trends selectively. I am a dad, so I suppose that by definition, all of my jeans are dad jeans. Actually, trends in denim right now (mid rise, tapered, a lot of mid-blues,) are about as "dad jeans" as they have been in a while (of course, trends can have long tapers, and it's possibly for on trend to start and end while another just keeps on tailing, for whatever reason.) I think that dark denim has a long lifetime, for 2 reasons - 1) it's easier for designers to tell people "this will go as well with a blazer as with a sweatshirt, thus hitting both the ultra casual and the more dressed up trends with one; and 2) darker jeans with minimal treatments are just cheaper. It's a $1 wash with no loss as opposed to a $15 wash where every 10th pair doesn't pass QA/QC.

English stuff like you have would not work for me. I have a pretty thick chest, but my shoulders, though reasonably muscular, are sloped and narrow. A swelled chest and natural shoulders would definitely not look good. My English stuff (and Chinese stuff) all has a fair bit of structure through the shoulders. I think that you'd agree that what you do probably would work for most people. Maybe you are blessed by nature, and don't have to stuff your briefs either.

4. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

Parker, all the way. I like the clean look and the slim fit. This is something I should try, but without the stacking. The leg openings would have to be bigger for me, though.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I wear unpadded, but swelled, briefs. If you look closely, you can appreciate the little pleats and puckers in the seat seam.

Like with all well made things, these only get better with age too.

6. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

I agree with Fritzl. I do think Parker looks better,but there is nothing ingenious about his fit. It just looks better,also; I think it may have been ever better with dark 'sneakers'

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

FURO wins.
    Furo looks like he is either going somewhere interesting or is already there. Simple and robust and alive.
    Parker appears to be going to the corner store for milk and appears disoriented and disheveled (overly long pants) .
    :stirpot:

8. derrida26

derrida26 Senior member

parker's fit is infinitely more cool. furo is the guy that can't look relaxed even when trying to pull off a "relaxed" fit

9. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

Seems like people don't understand what the point of stacking is. It's not some sort cool streetwear in-crowd thing and it's not "pooling" like everyone says. Yes, it looks sloppy when pants with a large leg opening have an inseam that is too long. That's why people hem or cuff their straight or slim straight jeans.

With tapered or slim jeans, however, a generous amount of stacking can add visual heft to the ankle area. Imagine how ridiculous wearing a pair of flannel trousers would look If they were tapered down to the width of your ankles. That is what these slim jeans would look like without the stacking. Stacking allows tapered jeans to look like a straight cut while remaining slim.

Stacking is often claimed to be part of the SWD "anti-fit agenda" but it has a greater effect on the fit of jeans than people realize.

TL;DR stacking helps you not look like this guy:

[​IMG]

10. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

FC threads never fail to entertain.

I would post about which pictures I prefer, but I would have picked MC every time, so I think I am biased :laugh: (the first was no contest, the last was close though)

Edit: On second thought, while I think both pictures in 2 have problems, I might actually pick SWD. I hate short sleeve shirts, but I hate skin tight pants more.

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

M. Corbera, you need to start yet another mirror thread, but post it in a mainstream forum like Yahoo. That way we can have one thread were everyone hates both looks constantly...

More importantly, i think I finally understand your true aim here. A master-stroke, precursor to the 10th anniversary meet up. Ow what an epic battle of stare downs and fisticuffs it will be!

Can someone please live stream this event, I would be willing to pay standard Pay Per View prices...

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

A better thread would be Parker's MC hair vs. Parker's SW&D hair.

lefty

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

why? this looks great, imo. no stacking for me, please. dunno what TL;DR means? can somebody help me out, ty.

14. atila

atila Senior member

"too long; didn't read" aka sum it up

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

ah ok, ty