A Curated Best of (with extra curation!)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Mar 19, 2014.

1. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Okay, I vote that stitch get a second list of his 6-10.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

careful what you wish for.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd love for some ostensibly objective metric to be devised for integrating pre-thumb fits into the composite thread.

That being said, whenever I go back to the previous iterations of the WAYWRN, it's never quite the good old days everyone makes them out to be. Quality fits seem fewer and far between.

Did any of the reaalllly good dressers ever post regularly more than twice a week for a prolonged period of time? Pre-Spoo (Spoo came after the Golden Age, right?)

I'm not suggesting that they weren't better. Their best vs the current best (or the Northern Europeans, what little difference there is) would probably come out on top. Just that our memories are selective in what we recall, both because we do tend remember the superb more than the average as well as perhaps greater self-curation of fit posts.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

5. in stitches

impossible. sure, thumbs are a possibly a dumb way to say what fits are best, but at least you can cut a clear line that is not subjective about what goes in the compendium thread. no whining or fighting about why is this in and not that. pros and cons baby.

i came late to the game, and have not back read in a while, but afair, you are correct. there has always been weak fits and average fits as the majority, and the pros post a few times per week max. i think thats fine.

6. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I don't know that I've ever bought the line that things were always better in the good old days, however there's an accumulation effect that occurs. Most of the posts this thread has drawn from are from the last year. However, the forum has now been around for ten. The number of regular posters, at least in the time I've been here, has stayed relatively constant - though who those posters are changes. Whether or not the quality of the offerings has stayed the same is difficult to assess. A lot of photos pre-2010 were lost because WAYWRN part 1 was lost in some way, and even for other things, so many of the photos posted in earlier years are no longer available to us because of dead links.

The fairest assessment then - and probably most correct - is probably then simply to assume that the rate at which really good fits were produced has remained constant. There are also the side threads that have come up in that time - CBD and Whnay - where thumbs are far harder to come by because the evaluations were meant to be more stringent. In that case then, the selection of fits that this thread draws from is really less than ten percent of the total possible really-good-fits that are or may have been on the board. Big fish in a little pond.

This is not to speak ill of the data set from which things are being drawn. There are good posts in that thread. However, to go back to stitcher's ratings, let's consider taking all of the 9s and up in the 20+ thread and then assign them a decimal place to really get at things. Imagine then that we took the best fits from the entirety of the forum's history and did this. We're likely to have even more posts in that range than are in the 20+ thread now.

Then we repurposed this thread through that lens. The likelihood that anything already posted here would make it overall goes down significantly simply by virtue of the fact that it's now competing against far more of equal or better quality (by construction). This cumulative way of looking at the progress changes the context in which things are considered good. I have plenty of analogies for this, but probably the most fun is to say that these are the surviving tributes from the current hunger games, and that putting them against the others would be like having them compete against all of the previous winners simultaneously and in their prime.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

7. in stitches

way to nerd the thread to death, tits!

8. Claghorn

I've not yet read his post, but

a) it is impossible to nerd anything too much
    b) now I'm psyched to read whatever he said. Going to get a beer (srs, but I was getting one anyway)

9. in stitches

a.) i did not say, too much, i said, to death.

b.) put on a condom unless you wanna dirty your pants because the nerd level of that post will likely make you JIZZ IN YOUR PANTS*

*cue song!

10. Claghorn

That was not anywhere near as nerdy as I expected. It barely registers as nerdy. An excellent post though. Just not all together as nerdy as I'd been lead to believe.

11. in stitches

well you must be a super nerd then !

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

13. Claghorn

I never got the II Vicchio love. I mean. It's good. Just not astounding.

Also, has SF had a better soporific dresser than Pingson?

I have purchased textbooks for fun (srs)

14. in stitches

you are weird. and is there anyone who has not read the all star thread? its a fun thread.

also, re: "I never got the II Vicchio love. I mean. It's good. Just not astounding."

i feel that way about some other "greats" past and present, but im not a dick like you so im not going to start calling them out.

and to answer your other question, no.

15. Claghorn

Alright. Let's make this....confrontational. Of the old crowd, who was the best soporific dresser?

And in terms of honest-to-god-sprezz: Tira or Labelking?

edmorel has said he's going to come in here and lay down some hot fire. He's doing the opposite of everyone else. He's picking five fits he likes, and then pointing out the flaws in all the other ones.