• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Couple of New Martegani Patterns

chocoball

Reaction score
How and where do I get a pair to try on for size in Hong Kong?.?.??
confused.gif

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would they compare with Allen-Edmonds or Ferragamo when it comes to comfort

Well, comfort is a subjective thing, so I would probably be better served by allowing the customers of mine who have both A/E and Ferragamo to compare; if they see this. I carry Allen Edmonds at the shop, they are half my business, but I will say that the Martegani are an upgrade in quality of uppers, outsoles, and, IMO, construction. Allen Edmonds has a great insole, the best I've seen. Comfort is more often than not the result of fit over materials, so you really need to try to see. The Martegani shoes I do are certainly more elegant, without any sacrifice in fit or quality - quite a few of my A/E customers have purchased Martegani shoes this season. There is no obligation to try; I'll cover the return postage if you would like to see them, and decide they are not for you in fit, or otherwise.

How and where do I get a pair to try on for size in Hong Kong?.?.??

I'll let you know when I hear back from them. What do you wear comfortably now?

linux_pro

Reaction score
That sounds excellent. I should pick up a pair this week. I really loved those wingtips, and I love a good pair of wingtips in general. That's the problem with AE, they don't make wingtips (that I'm aware of), and while I do like their build, they are just ugly as hell, IMHO, and they look cheap to me. I have a pair of Ferragamo and Mezlan (lizards), both of which I wear more often than my AE, simply because they aren't so ugly, although the AE are as comfy as a pair of good trainers. If I picked up the Martegani and they were too "hard" when walking, I guess I could always put some insole inserts in them.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That sounds excellent. I should pick up a pair this week. I really loved those wingtips, and I love a good pair of wingtips in general. That's the problem with AE, they don't make wingtips (that I'm aware of), and while I do like their build, they are just ugly as hell, IMHO, and they look cheap to me.
Allen-Edmonds does make wingtips. I would agree with you, however, that they're lacking a bit of elegance.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, comfort is a subjective thing, so I would probably be better served by allowing the customers of mine who have both A/E and Ferragamo to compare; if they see this.
I have a single pair of both AEs and Marteganis (dark brown captoes with the "Iron" finish) in my business shoe rotation (about one wearing per week).  I've had the AEs for about 12 months and the Marteganis for about 3 months, and it always takes me a couple months to settle into a new pair of shoes no matter how good they are.  The Marteganis are breaking in nicely and I'm quite confident that they'll be just as comfortable as my AEs.  The last shape and finishing on the Marteganis is much nicer than the AEs, though.  And you should take Ron up on his offer to ship shoes to you for sizing purposes.

I ordered my pair before these latest changes were made.  The full leather socklining and a gold stamped heel seat would make my pair all the more appealing to me.

dan

linux_pro

Reaction score
Well, I guess they do. I never see them at Nordstrom's, which is where I bought shoes before finding this site. I don't understand the sizing thing and how that works. Could you explain that bit? How does that work? I would order the shoes, they would be shipped, and then I try them on to see how the fit, if they are too tight or whatever, and then send them back for fitting? Sorry if the questions are stupid. I will definitely be ordering a pair of the Marteganis. I also really liked these: http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=1203 Man, when my budget allows it, I think I might pick up a pair of those also. Then I can be like dah, and rotate my shoes. Heh heh.

chocoball

Reaction score
Rider, I have medium width feet (C/D) and take US9.5/UK8.5/EU43 in virtually every brand of shoe..... Gucci, Zegna, Church's, Harris, Santoni, Rossetti Flexa, Borgioli, etc..... I never seem to waver from those sizes much.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW Rider, the changes made to the website (somewhat) recently look good... I would suggest a few more updates though, like making all the thumbnails the same size, adding information for the suitings section (rather than just picture/price), etc.

I know it's a work in progress, a small operation, not your main source of sales, etc., but it does help with appearances.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the sizing thing and how that works. Could you explain that bit

Ok, no problem - if you could, please tell me what model/size you wear in A/E. With this information, as well as which Martegani model you like, I will be able to suggest size. If I am wrong, and you are not comfortable, there is no obligation on your part. PM me if you wish and we can take care of you.

Rider, I have medium width feet (C/D) and take US9.5/UK8.5/EU43 in virtually every brand of shoe..... Gucci, Zegna, Church's, Harris, Santoni, Rossetti Flexa, Borgioli

Borgioli - now we are getting somewhere. Could you please tell me the model number? If you have the box, you can give me all the numbers and I will know what last, and how the sizes run. If not, there is a 5 digit number inside the shoe that will also tell me what I need to know. Again, PM me, if you like, and I can translate things fine.

BTW Rider, the changes made to the website (somewhat) recently look good... I would suggest a few more updates though, like making all the thumbnails the same size, adding information for the suitings section (rather than just picture/price), etc.

I know...I am pretty new to doing anything with the computer besides email and such. It's taken awhile to get to posting pictures properly, and I'm still not happy with the appearence of the site. Not being a dedicated web seller, and being a one man operation as far as my shoe business is concerned, I often get side-tracked during the day. I've sort of been nominated to do the rest of the site as well, and I wish I were better at it. And, as you know from talking to me, I am concerned with the shoe business, as that is my game. Really, I am taking the pics for the other departments and waiting for someone to step up and properly describe the items in a way they should. I can tell you every little thing about my shoes, but not a whole lot about Brioni ties, for example.

Hopefully, within the next few weeks, I will have all the shoes posted in an organized manner. For example, I like the neutral background as opposed to fabric, and I like the way rights look at a slight angle. Also, now that the guy we hire to help has set up the logos and you can go directly to a page with all of a manufacturers shoes, I can use bigger pics, which I think look nice. I'm trying....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads