• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Couple Of Edward Green Oddities

pejsek

Reaction score
These are some of my favorite EG shoes, both private label work for other retailers. The first is essentially the Falkirk. This shoe was made for Nordstrom sometime back in the 1980s. I found the pair at an especially nasty thrift store for $5. For some reason EG likes to do this shoe in a jaunty, sporty way--often with two tones. It's a classic design and I think it looks much better in this wonderful antique shade. Last is the 201:

img0757bo9.jpg

img0759wv4.jpg

The second shoe is a double monk made for Paul Stuart, again back in the 1980s (showing a bit of age but still able to get around on its own). I found this at the Goodwill over ten years ago and I kind of lucked into it since at the time I had no idea of any EG connection. It's pretty much the Westminster with a cap-toe, medallion, and additional punching throughout the shoe. Perhaps I veer toward the baroque, but I find this design much nicer than the standard Westminster. Last here is the fabled 88:

img0754tj0.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Beautiful, and showing a more restrained shape than much of EGs current stuff, although with more medallion/brogue work.

I'm glad you've gotten the hang of this picture posting stuff. This needs to be a regular feature.
thumbs-up.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like them both very much.

In my attempt to become like aportnoy in all ways (be warned, Artisan Fan
devil.gif
)(joking
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
) I contacted Green last month with a special order inquiry for the Falkirk on the 82 last. They apparently are reviewing their MTO program. I don't know what that means.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both exquisite finds.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'll have to post some of my vintage EGs soon.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bravo! They are both very nice. I had thought that some of your Thrift Shop finds were from Fantasyland. Well, you've proven me wrong!
smile.gif

Please keep posting photos of your finds. BTW, I like these 2 EG's better than your fabled McAfee Bespokes.

Question: Since you are getting these shoes at Thrifts at absurdly low prices, do you buy them if they are a 1/2 size off?

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I contacted Green last month with a special order inquiry for the Falkirk on the 82 last. They apparently are reviewing their MTO program. I don't know what that means.

butbut.gif

Nice shoes, BTW, especially the first pair.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I like that Falkirk a lot.

I'll have to post some of my vintage EGs soon.
Please do.

Dang, you must be assembling the Library of Congress of fine shoes Andrew.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I contacted Green last month with a special order inquiry for the Falkirk on the 82 last.

RJ....I ordered Falkirk with bevelled waist and steel toe plate in dark oak on the 82 at the last Saks trunk show. They should be ready sometime in the next 8 weeks.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
RJ....I ordered Falkirk with bevelled waist and steel toe plate in dark oak on the 82 at the last Saks trunk show. They should be ready sometime in the next 8 weeks.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
bigstar[1].gif

Wait, when was the last trunk show?
plain.gif

I also asked for Top Drawer spec, since they supposedly may be reluanching that.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I like that Falkirk a lot.

Please do.

Dang, you must be assembling the Library of Congress of fine shoes Andrew.

I am doing my part to stimulate the US (and the EU) ecomony. I think the Freedom Medal is in order.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I have promised before, but I will try to get a full collection shot done soon.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wait, when was the last trunk show?
plain.gif

I also asked for Top Drawer spec, since they supposedly may be reluanching that.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

They were ordered at the show on May 4th, I believe. Hilary did confirm that the Top Drawer was to be relaunched and was happy to accept my requests.

At the same show, I also ordered the Kingsway with bevelled waist, steel toe plate on the 888 in dark burgundy. (Props to Medwards on that one)
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
At the same show, I also ordered the Kingsway with bevelled waist, steel toe plate on the 888 in dark burgundy. (Props to Medwards on that one)
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I have its ancestor, the Tudor, made for Poulsen Skone on the 32 last. It's a Cleverley design, although the Kingsway is probably a better RTW design as the Tudor has a lower vamp.

Did Hilary say anything else about Top Drawer? I haven't heard from her in weeks.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have its ancestor, the Tudor, made for Poulsen Skone on the 32 last. It's a Cleverley design, although the Kingsway is probably a better RTW design as the Tudor has a lower vamp.

Did Hilary say anything else about Top Drawer? I haven't heard from her in weeks.

Her last comments were that TD would be relaunched in the fall (just about this time) as to compete with the new John Lobb Prestiege offerings.

She has her work cut out for her.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads