• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A comparison of EG and Cleverly RTW Wholecuts

Jermyn

Reaction score
Having purchased wholecuts from both Edward Green and Cleverly in the past month, I would like to share pictures of the shoes and invite SF to share its opinions on them.

Firstly, a pair of Edward Green wholecuts on the 888 last (9.5D) in Chameleon.

IMG00123-20110110-1858.jpg

IMG00124-20110110-1858.jpg

IMG00126-20110110-1859.jpg

IMG00127-20110110-1900.jpg

And now the Cleverly wholecut in Black Calf, also 9.5D (designated as 5813 on the inner window, presumably the number of the last)

IMG00149-20110130-1929.jpg

IMG00150-20110130-1929.jpg

IMG00152-20110130-1930.jpg

And now a side by side comparison of the two:

IMG00154-20110130-1932.jpg

The Cleverly has, in my opinion, a sleeker and more elegant line (albeit at the expense of a little extra length).

The EG Chameleon leather is absolutely unique though and has drawn many favourable comments. I also prefer the medallion punching that EG uses.

I realise that Cleverly's house style, the chisel toe, has both fans and detractors whereas praise for the 888 tends to be more universal. However I find both to be equally attractive.

A comparison of the soles:

IMG00153-20110130-1931.jpg

Here, the differences are very pronounced. Cleverly has a far smaller heel and a narrower waist. Both are bevelled to a moderate degree.

Comfort-wise, both shoes are excellent (although I have yet to wear the Cleverly shoes outside the house). The arch support and lightness of these shoes makes them a pleasure to wear.

Of particular note however is the price difference between the two:

Edward Green £440 (reg £630)
Cleverly £225 (reg £395)

Here, Cleverly has the clear advantage.

What are SF's experiences in comparing these two makers?

BlackShoes

Reaction score
The leather used for the EG is fugly, though I prefer the medallion.

I wouldn't pretend to have an informed opinion about the make, though do you know who manufactures the Cleverly?

Merlino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
do you know who manufactures the Cleverly?
How 'bout Cleverley? P.S.: I like the EG's best, leather's great and the medallion is nicer. But I think it'd be better to compare similar colours, like black to black and brown to brown.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite sure those Cleverley's are rebadged C&J Handgrade.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Quite sure those Cleverley's are rebadged C&J Handgrade.

Normally I would concur, except I don't recall CJ ever using a window like that. And it's close to 337 shape but not quite.

Regardless, I much prefer the shape and appearance of the EGs

Jermyn

Reaction score
The Chameleon colour is certainly not for everyone, I find that paired with some brown corduroy trousers it works superbly.

Much though I would like to be able to compare wholecuts in the same colour, my shoe collection hasn't quite expanded to the point where I am able to justify buying near identical shoes in identical colours!

As far as £220 being a steal. I quite agree. Although an even bigger steal was to be had if you could manage to squeeze into a pair of uncollected bespoke shoes. All sale bespoke shoes were £450.

There was a man in the Cleverley store on Saturday buying all of the remaining sale stock (I'd watch eBay over the next couple of days), I imagine he was only permitted to do this as it was the last day of the sale and room had to be made for new stock.

I asked the gentleman running the shop, where the shoes were made and he told me that they were made upstairs. After further probing he revealed that some parts were done by hand in store and other parts were not.

I think it is generally accepted that Cleverley's RTW shoes are made in C&J factories (amongst other premises) but to Cleverley's own specifications as opposed to simply being a 're-badged' C&J.

Another interesting piece of information emerged when the name of Tony Gaziano was mentioned, "he is a thief a cheat and a liar and the thing is he'd probably be happy that I said that to you" said the gentleman running the store. This was said with several other people listening (I wouldn't have repeated this had it been said in confidence).

I know Tony used to work for Cleverely but had not heard that the split was anything other than amicable.

Does anybody know anything else about this?

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I'd made it to Cleverley in time to hear that micro-tirade on Saturday

I prefer the Cleverley's colour, medallion styling and last, but they're both fine styles. Moreover, the Chameleon's medallion better suits its colour than anything less simple

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At one time I regurgitated that EG uses a "dainty" heel. Now I see Cleverly clearly has them beat on this front.

Not a fan of chiseled wholecuts but to each his own.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
The real question is that since you are my size and I like them both, when are you going to sell them to me?

Spøö, trade some ties!

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Lets do it brah. You a 9.5?

Actually I might be getting some unworn Phillip IIs in dark brown museum calf.

Jermyn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
At one time I regurgitated that EG uses a "dainty" heel. Now I see Cleverly clearly has them beat on this front.

You're right, I was quite frankly shocked at how much more 'streamlined' Cleverley's offering is.
I'm wearing the Cleverleys at work today and it almost feels like I'm not wearing shoes at all.

As to the comment about the 'window' inside the shoe. I was told that this was originally a Cleverley concept used in their bespoke shoes only. It later emerged that "other companies" were using this as a gimmick and Cleverley decided to introduce the window on all of their RTW models in order to compete.

A kind of very docile arms race, if you will.

Spoo, I have not yet reached the point where I am selling shoes after less than 10 wears. I am sure that as I approach Internet Bigtimer status, this will change!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads