• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A comparison of bespoke jackets: Rubinacci, NSM, Manuel Martinez

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be useful/interesting to see a side by side comparison of three jackets I've had made in the last six months from three different makers. The Rubinacci is the lightest of the three, followed by the NSM, and finally the Manuel Martinez, which is a Minnis Lambswool. Most here are familiar with Rubinacci and Mina Adamo of NSM, probably fewer know Manuel Martinez. Manuel is based in Baton Rouge but travels frequently to New York to meet with clients. He is similar to Mina in that he is trained as a tailor, but most of the sewing is done offsite, in his case, in New York. He does the fittings and cuts the patterns himself. His house style leans toward more structured English, but he made my jacket shorter and softer per my request. I'm pleased with the work of all three though they each provide different experiences at different price points. They are, from most expensive to least: Rubinacci, MM, NSM. Sorry about the last color combination, but I didn't feel like changing my pants.
laugh.gif

Rubinacci
IMG_0964.jpg

Napoli Su Misura
IMG_0962.jpg

Manuel Martinez
IMG_0965.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the MM. Living in Baton Rouge, I have been thinking about using him. What do you know about his production? I have heard rumours about his business model, but would rather hear it from someone who experienced his work first hand.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
I like the MM. Living in Baton Rouge, I have been thinking about using him. What do you know about his production? I have heard rumours about his business model, but would rather hear it from someone who experienced his work first hand.

I'm not sure what you mean about his business model. I like him a lot, he's been really easy to work with, and fits my ideal anyway of what a tailor should be. He has great taste, tries to give you what you want while guiding you and helping to avoid mistakes. He turns things around quickly, or at least reliably, and he's very responsive. I'm no expert on sewing, but the sewing seems to be very good, with all the details you'd expect executed at a very high level. He has now made shirts, pants, and a jacket for me and I have been pleased with everything. As I mentioned, he takes the measurements, cuts the pattern and sews the basted garment, then has it finished in New York. I don't know the details of the outfit he uses to finish the garments as I didn't ask. I know a lot of people here obsess about that stuff, but as long as the quality of the garment is high, I don't care. His setup seems very similar to Mina's in terms of the division of labor and what he's bringing to the table.

As much as I've enjoyed working with Rubinacci and Mina, and will continue to do so, I can't overstate the advantage to being local for someone like me and for you. It's far easier to make adjustments and make changes, even if the final sewing is done elsewhere, when you're dealing with someone local.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
I'm not a fan of the overall silhouette (though it seems even Mina does some drape from time to time), but the Rubi is the best executed to my eyes. The collar sits tight, the quarters aren't splaying open. The pattern falls straight.

I wonder if that could've been fixed for the other two simply by tugging the jacket.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....a good Bespoke tailor in Baton Rouge.

I have been thinking, and there is one thing I really want that I might have to go bespoke to order. I just did not want to travel, but I will drive an hour.

Mike

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice coats all. The collar needs to be fixed on the NSM, but perhaps it simply needs a tug.

While all three are very good, I would rank them as follows on the basis of the photos shown: NSM, MM, Rubi.

Btw, is the MM fabric made from Minnis Lamswool? Great fabric.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rubinacci jacket is my favorite followed by MM. NSM is too short and collar doesn't fit well. I would just stick with MM for future garments given that it is local and very convenient.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Btw, is the MM fabric made from Minnis Lamswool? Great fabric.

Yes. I really like it but to be honest I have no idea what to wear with it.
laugh.gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Hmmmm....a good Bespoke tailor in Baton Rouge.

I have been thinking, and there is one thing I really want that I might have to go bespoke to order. I just did not want to travel, but I will drive an hour.

Mike

I could not agree more. Living about 5 minutes away from one's tailor would be incredibly convenient (well, that is dependent on the damn Baton Rouge traffic).

Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
I'm not sure what you mean about his business model. I like him a lot, he's been really easy to work with, and fits my ideal anyway of what a tailor should be. He has great taste, tries to give you what you want while guiding you and helping to avoid mistakes. He turns things around quickly, or at least reliably, and he's very responsive. I'm no expert on sewing, but the sewing seems to be very good, with all the details you'd expect executed at a very high level. He has now made shirts, pants, and a jacket for me and I have been pleased with everything. As I mentioned, he takes the measurements, cuts the pattern and sews the basted garment, then has it finished in New York. I don't know the details of the outfit he uses to finish the garments as I didn't ask. I know a lot of people here obsess about that stuff, but as long as the quality of the garment is high, I don't care. His setup seems very similar to Mina's in terms of the division of labor and what he's bringing to the table.

As much as I've enjoyed working with Rubinacci and Mina, and will continue to do so, I can't overstate the advantage to being local for someone like me and for you. It's far easier to make adjustments and make changes, even if the final sewing is done elsewhere, when you're dealing with someone local.

I guess what I meant is the % of the business that is done by him, and the % that is outsourced. Another men's store in town (I will not name names, but I will just say they are nearby...) said something about his garments being made in Canada, and him running more of a MTM business than a true bespoke. This I guess is one of the only reasons I have been hesitant to try him out. It is never good when you do not exactly know what is going on. He did seem to know his stuff though, and he was very helpful when I met with him. I have been debating between either him or Chan, but I may just give Manuel a shot after seeing this garment. I am thoroughly impressed.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All look pretty damn good. I like the cloth of the third and the fit of the first best - although one photo makes it hard to tell one way or another.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice stuff...Balance and proportions look pretty spot-on for all 3.

For some reason I especially like the way the sleeves of the NSM have been set slightly more than the others...Did you request a "hard" 3-roll-2 for the NSM and MM coats? One of my tailors executes a 3-roll-2 in this way, but I tend to prefer the gentler roll of the Rubinacci...

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my conversations with him, it seems like he's doing the most important parts: the consultation, measurements, cutting the pattern, and doing the basted fitting. I asked him if he cut the pattern and he said he did. I can only take him at his word that he is actually doing that. I thought he told me the last time I met with him that the sewing was done in NY, but I could be mistaken. I would guess that running a full on bespoke shop, with on site sewing of everything, would not be economically feasible in this country, or at least not in Baton Rouge. I don't have a lot of experience with tailors, but I would assume his model is pretty common in the US. I'd also say the difference between him and most MTM type set ups is that he is an actual tailor, so while he may not make as much on site himself, he knows cutting and sewing, and I think that experience alone would set him apart. I can see how some might be bothered by where the sewing is done, but as long as the fit and quality are consistent with his prices, it's not going to keep me up at night.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
Nice stuff...Balance and proportions look pretty spot-on for all 3.

For some reason I especially like the way the sleeves of the NSM have been set slightly more than the others...Did you request a "hard" 3-roll-2 for the NSM and MM coats? One of my tailors executes a 3-roll-2 in this way, but I tend to prefer the gentler roll of the Rubinacci...

I actually didn't request that, and I have the same preference as you. I knew there was something about the MM that was off to my eye, and it wasn't until I took these pictures this morning that I realized it was the hard roll that I didn't like. I've actually emailed Manuel about it to see if it can be adjusted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads