• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A [coming] new book on history of Savile Row

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I have his earlier book on the same topic. It's an interesting read regarding the history of the main houses on the Row, but it reads sort of like a press release for each of the tailoring firms that are covered with only minimal information about the in-house cutters, the house styles, etc. I would hope that this new book has a bit more of meat for someone like me who could use more practical information to guide my purchases.

andreyb2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
I have his earlier book on the same topic. It's an interesting read regarding the history of the main houses on the Row, but it reads sort of like a press release for each of the tailoring firms that are covered with only minimal information about the in-house cutters, the house styles, etc.

I agree with this assessment of Mr Sherwood's previous work. However, I find some of his articles written for "The Rake" magazine to be quite interesting. A piece on Hayward atelier is a delight.

Andrey

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
.........but it reads sort of like a press release for each of the tailoring firms that are covered with only minimal information about the in-house cutters, the house styles, etc.......

Well, that's what James Sherwood and Nick Foulkes have in common: they are both (writing) tarts for hire.

Now, a book about Savile Row that dishes the dirt and shows the rivalry between the different firms,
the dirty goings-on and the back-stabbing over the last two centuries, now, that would be worth getting.

(Or a book, warts-and-all, about the Northampton shoe industry.)

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Now, a book about Savile Row that dishes the dirt and shows the rivalry between the different firms,
the dirty goings-on and the back-stabbing over the last two centuries, now, that would be worth getting.

I would like a book like this on Internet clothing forvms and blogs.

Best if it is reproduced on an old mimeograph machine and stapled together.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a book about the history of the roofing tile. Not that this is clothes related....
spam[1].gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I'm currently working on a book about the history of the roofing tile.

Now, a book about roofing tiles, that dishes the dirt and shows the rivalry between the different firms,
the dirty goings-on and the back-stabbing over the last two millennia, now, that would be worth getting.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Best if it is reproduced on an old mimeograph machine and stapled together.
Ahhhhhh ... the aroma. It's been decades ... but still I can recall.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Ahhhhhh ... the aroma. It's been decades ... but still I can recall.
The aroma!!! You wanted to smell those whiteprint machines they used to have in drawing offices. Jesus...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
The aroma!!! You wanted to smell those whiteprint machines they used to have in drawing offices. Jesus...
It probably explains a lot ... why I can't resist fighting in CE ... why I can't remember a darn thing ... etc., etc., etc.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Well, that's what James Sherwood and Nick Foulkes have in common: they are both (writing) tarts for hire.

They both like freebies which is an understatement for being for hire...

I have seen Foulkes at Rubinacci's and he was going to lunch with Mariano...

I gave him Tony Gaziano's number...

When I met Mr X later ,he told me later that Foulkes is trying to get something for nothing or next to nothing....

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
[H]e told me later that [X] is trying to get something for nothing or next to nothing....
Even as an architect I am familiar with this appoach. I actually hand one potential client tell me, "If you design my house for free, I'll write an article about it and tell everyone you are the architect." All I could do was laugh ... pause shortly ... and offer an emphatic, "No."

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Even as an architect I am familiar with this appoach. I actually hand one potential client tell me, "If you design my house for free, I'll write an article about it and tell everyone you are the architect." All I could do was laugh ... pause shortly ... and offer an emphatic, "No."

It is very very common...

The same person was referring to Emma Willis as the best bespoke shirt maker in London...
laugh.gif

It is why we have to take some articles with a pinch of salt...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads