Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Chan roll-call

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Vintage Gent, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Can I still stay @ low 1k range if I go with the HS fabrics?

Maybe. Last time I priced the Crispaire, for example, it was in the mid $1200s, and that's about as cheap as H&S suiting fabrics go with Chan. I just received a few quotes on other H&S fabrics for two-piece suits, and here they are for comparison:

Snowy River: $1,451
    Cloudy Bay: $2,439
    Victory Flannels: $2,439

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Snowy River is a very nice lightweight worsted. I had Chan make me up a blazer from the Black Watch fabric in the Snowy River collection last year. I was hoping they would have the Snowy River Jacketings in their March tour. They had told me they would, but all they had were the suitings. Had they brought the jacketing fabric samples along, I very likely would have ordered something from that collection in preference the Porter & Harding Solway fabric I chose. I was somewhat annoyed to see they had brought the Snowy River Jacketings along on the July tour, when they did me no good!

3. Apthorpe

Apthorpe Member

Maybe. Last time I priced the Crispaire, for example, it was in the mid $1200s, and that's about as cheap as H&S suiting fabrics go with Chan. I just received a few quotes on other H&S fabrics for two-piece suits, and here they are for comparison:

Snowy River: $1,451
    Cloudy Bay: $2,439
    Victory Flannels: $2,439

Crispaire is currently the same as Snowy River.

1 suit and 1 shirt in the queue.

4. BRITINLA

BRITINLA Well-Known Member

OK. Here are photos of my Chans, from most recent to oldest.

Worsted/silk odd jacket in the Holland & Sherry Eutopia.

[​IMG]

Three piece in the Holland & Sherry Crispaire.

[​IMG]

Three piece in the Holland & Sherry John Cooper Vintage.

[​IMG]

DB in VBC worsted/mohair.

Pics were too large. So here's the link. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21694

Blazer in VBC worsted.

Link. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21805

DB in VBC worsted.

Link. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=12207

SB in the Charles Clayton super 150.

Link. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=11721

Can't find a pic of the first suit, after it was re-done. Edit: Here's the best I can find, not showing much of the suit, though:

[​IMG]

Very nice VG. Am I correct in assuming you requested a 3 roll 2.5 for the summer jacket and a 3 roll 2 for your first suit?

5. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Very nice VG. Am I correct in assuming you requested a 3 roll 2.5 for the summer jacket and a 3 roll 2 for your first suit?

Thanks. I did.

6. overlooked

overlooked Member

I've purchased the following since 2004:

4 suits
    5 odd jackets
    2 odd trousers
    21 shirts

I've lost weight over time so many of the early pieces don't fit terribly well now.

Thanks to everyone who recommended the company, it's been a godsend for this short, stocky guy.

I'm still waiting on the fourth suit, the company ran out of fabric so I have to wait until September when they're getting a restock. This is for the H. Lesser 9.5/10 ounce navy blue solid worsted.

7. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

Has anybody ordered an overcoat from them and is willing to post photos? I became quite interested today when I saw them. I ordered 6 more shirts. One of them is short sleeve casual shirt.

8. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

Has anybody ordered an overcoat from them and is willing to post photos? I became quite interested today when I saw them. I ordered 6 more shirts. One of them is short sleeve casual shirt.

[​IMG]

Overcoat is a Chan, suit is a Spencer Hart. Both are varying shades of brown. The overcoat is very well fitted, fits my Chan jackets underneath very precisely, a major perk of having suit + overcoat from the same folks. I'm such a WW Chan fanboy [​IMG]

9. Deipnosophist

Deipnosophist Senior member

Sell some more of your suits please [​IMG]

10. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

[​IMG] Overcoat is a Chan, suit is a Spencer Hart. Both are varying shades of brown. The overcoat is very well fitted, fits my Chan jackets underneath very precisely, a major perk of having suit + overcoat from the same folks. I'm such a WW Chan fanboy [​IMG]
    What's the process like? Do you go with a photo and ask them to emulate something? Your coat has piqued my interest.

11. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

What's the process like? Do you go with a photo and ask them to emulate something? Your coat has piqued my interest.

"I want a DB coat, make it old-school, keep it long, past the knees, hacking pockets, please, thanks."

12. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

"I want a DB coat, make it old-school, keep it long, past the knees, hacking pockets, please, thanks."

you mean a "ZOOT" suit?

13. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

yfyf: That looks fantastic. SuitingStyle: After 1 year, I'm still debating whether or not to get a Chan suit. I recently finsihed interviews and received an email from the partners letting me know I'd be able to join the accounting firm if I accepted the contract. I sent out an email to Chan inquiring about the price of their suit for an H&S fabric, this is what I received:
    The thing is that I can get an MTM from Holt's JP Tilford Samuelsohn or Coppley for around $1,200 and at a trunk show up to 25% off - works out to $1,000 CND VS $1,500 CND. (This is Vancouver - it is either Holt or Harry and Harry's uses the same Samuelsohn from what the sales manager at Holts said to me but HR didn't have Coppley). I'm not sure how the MTMs compare but I assume the Samuelsohn/Coppley would allow for the same flexibility as Chan minus the airflight ticket although it seems Coppley isn't fully canvased so I will check out Samuelsohn first.

14. rickblaine

rickblaine Active Member

1 suit (in progress)

15. thinman

thinman Senior member

Since 2005, I've ordered:

1 suit
    4 odd jackets
    5 shirts, with 2 more currently in the queue.

Without the forum, I would never have know about Chan.

yfyf, your overcoat, especially the fit, is terrific!