• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A challenging (and unique) question for you

JMorrow

Reaction score
Well, hello there. This is my first post here, and I'll admit, I’m a bit scared.

Because you see, I'm… unusual.

At 32 years old, I'm one of the oldest people in the world with Spinal Muscular Atrophy, a type of muscular dystrophy that almost exclusively affects children. While I have full sensation, I can't move anything but my lips and eyes. I have almost no muscle tone whatsoever, not to mention a bit of scoliosis, so the shape of my body is exceptionally odd. My stomach is twisted to the left, one shoulder is higher than the other, my chest cavity is deformed, my stomach pooches out (I can't hold it in), and on and on.

But I want to upgrade my wardrobe.

Over the last few years, I've gradually become one of the most popular bloggers in the world. Working online, using speech dictation software, I've built a multimillion dollar company with employees across the globe. I stay at home most of the time, and when I do venture out, I mostly go to restaurants or parks where no one knows me. So, most days, it doesn't particularly matter how I look.

Some days, however, it matters a great deal. Like when I'm being paid $10-25K for a speech. Or when I'm creating videos that will be seen by hundreds of thousands of people. On those days, I need to look like who I am: successful, brilliant, and powerful.

Right now, my wardrobe says precisely the opposite. It's cheap, horribly fitted, and not particularly stylish. Really, I look like most other people in wheelchairs. You would never guess I am who I am.

To this day, stores and restaurants give me discounts on things without even asking. I guess they think I'm poor. Many people who don't know me also assume I'm mentally marsupialed, speaking to my caregivers instead of me, or when they do speak to me, they speak slowly and loudly as I’m deaf or something.

Most of the time, I think it’s funny, and it gives me opportunities to mess with people. Sometimes, though, it’s a big problem. Like in the business scenario I mentioned above. Lately, I’ve also been thinking about dating, and let’s face it, I need all the help I can get.

Like anyone, my wardrobe affects how the world sees me, but in my case, I think it might play an even bigger part. People might be less prone to treat me like I’m mentally marsupialed if I’m wearing a $2000 suit.

So, for the past few weeks, I’ve been pondering what to do. I can afford to hire a wardrobe consultant to completely redo everything, and maybe I still will, but I haven’t the slightest clue who to hire, and frankly, I seem to make many people in the fashion community uncomfortable.

I’ve approached three local tailors over the past week, and all of them were so thunderstruck by my physical abnormalities and unique requirements (having clothes that look good sitting down) that they began stuttering and dropping things. Each made polite excuses about why they could not help me.

Sounds horrible, but really, I don’t blame them. I’m guessing making me look good is going to be quite a challenge, and if I were in their shoes, I’m not sure I would want to do it either. I need:

1. Clothes that are made for sitting down, meaning they are both comfortable and look good. Sounds like a simple thing, but I’m guessing it requires rethinking the way different parts of clothes are made.
2. A tailor who will come to my home for any sessions requiring me to change clothes (it’s quite an ordeal)
3. A tailor who believes I can and should be allowed to look good. In other words, they can see beyond the wheelchair.
4. A tailor who enjoys the challenge of all the above.

Where do I find someone like that?

I’m guessing sites like modern tailor and whatnot are out of the question. For one, I don’t have any clothes to base new ones on. For two, I’m not sure the standard measurements are going to work as expected. I could try it, I suppose, but with my limited knowledge of fashion, it seems pretty far-fetched that it could work.

My only other idea is to start sending a photo of me with a letter to a bunch of nearby different tailors. Dozens of them, probably. Maybe one of them would raise their hand and volunteer to help.

I live just outside Boca Raton, Florida, by the way. Fort Lauderdale and Miami are nearby.

Any other ideas?

Just so you know, if we get a useful discussion going here, I’m going to make a few other successful folks in wheelchairs aware of this thread. You’ll be helping more than just me.

Thank you. :)

Jon

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, you'll need to be willing to fly to where a lot of the good tailors are in the US. With a normal body type it usually takes 2-3 fittings, spaced weeks to months apart, to get a good fit. So this'll be a fairly sizable investment of your time. On the other hand, one of the biggest challenges in creating a well fitting suit is allowing for full range of motion--something which isn't going to be an issue in your case.

Outside of looking good sitting down, I'd spend a lot of time familiarizing yourself with fabrics. That may be the best signalling mechanism for you once you've arrived at a satisfactory fit.

@Despos @OTCtailor @David Reeves @jefferyd

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Jon,

I am no tailor, and no menswear expert - but I just wanted to post my kudos to you.

Your story is an inspirational one, and I sincerely hope you receive top-tier advice from those more knowledgeable than me.

If money is no object, and from what you have posted, it seems like this could be the case - I might suggest you contact any of the big name Savile Row tailors in London.

My logic is this:

- You need bespoke. This is clear.
- If you are sitting down, you probably want more structured shoulders in your jackets.
- Big name tailoring houses will go above and beyond to make you look your best, and will go the extra mile because of your disabilities.
- English customer service is generally less judgemental than American customer service (or, if it isn't, they hide it much better)
- They will rise to the challenge, and will see PR value in having you as a client. Their target market is wealthy individuals; most of whom, by the time they have attained their wealth, no longer look like James Bond - so their job is to get them to look their best, within the confines of that persons physical appearance.

While you will need a local tailor - that's something harder to organise - having your suits, shirts, pants, etc made for you will be the best bet, and will make your local tailor have an easier time. If the bespoke process was successful, you may only need a carer to help you get dressed, and have no need for the local tailor.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Alex

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Apologies to those in Claghorn's post - I had overlooked them - definitely try those linked there first.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, you'll need to be willing to fly to where a lot of the good tailors are in the US. With a normal body type it usually takes 2-3 fittings, spaced weeks to months apart, to get a good fit. So this'll be a fairly sizable investment of your time. On the other hand, one of the biggest challenges in creating a well fitting suit is allowing for full range of motion--something which isn't going to be an issue in your case.

Outside of looking good sitting down, I'd spend a lot of time familiarizing yourself with fabrics. That may be the best signalling mechanism for you once you've arrived at a satisfactory fit.

@Despos
@OTCtailor
@David Reeves
@jefferyd

Thank you for the recommendation Claghorn. This would not be anything new for me and of course as a high end maker you could expect the most professional service from myself.

I think the shrinking away from doing this kind of work is really through lack of skill, confidence and perhaps the limitations of MTM systems. We see endless threads on here about what is MTM and what is bespoke?, being able to make for any client, well that is a very good definition of Bespoke right there.

Thrifter

Reaction score
@JMorrow I'm not sure if it is off-topic for your personal blog but would you consider writing about your experience as you explore the bespoke? I'd be very interested in following your journey.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not entirely unique. There was a long story about dressing around physical disability on a clothing site not worth promoting here; and there's Stephen Hawking, who looks like an academic (probably close enough to the right outcome here). Actually, this situation is a little more difficult due to lack of pictures/not really knowing how bad things look now. Could some ready-to-wear items (not suits or jackets) be tailored to fit okay? How helpful are others in, for example, putting on dress shirts? Besides, a good haircut, sophisticated colors and patterns, collars, long pants, etc. would help. Shorts, sweatpants, sandals, and tee shirts all should be avoided, because they feed the mentally-challenged misconception. A full suit doesn't seem worthwhile, by the way, except maybe for speaking engagements. At least a tailored jacket would be needed for that and probably would not be as scary to a tailor as a suit. The AICI should list some local image consultants, though their skill likely would be hard to discern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads