• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Buenos Aires trip in pictures (clothing)

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Event 2: Boca Juniors semifinal match of Copa Libertadores against Palmeiras. I’m wearing a Boca jersey because ... duh. P.S. I’ve attended many important sporting events but there’s nothing like a home Boca game at the Bombonera. PPS This game was the reason for our trip.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice. I'm off to BA tonight.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Event 3: This is the second leg of the Polo triple crown called El Abierto de Hurlingham. I’d previously seen the third leg (Abierto Argentino in Palermo). Still missing El Abierto de Tortugas.
I’m wearing my oldest piece of bespoke wear from Despos. It’s a herringbone cashmere jacket that still fits great. I’m wearing a Polo stretch oxford (98% cotton and 2% elastic) which I cannot recommend more highl for travel. Not seen are my Rider cordovan chukka boots because this is Polo after all.

SZNettles

Reaction score
Seriously jealous for that boca game. Must have been crazy. My girlfriend and I want to go to Argentina and I will make my trip always in line with a big boca game. I hear the atmosphere is great.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cheers. so these boots are riding boots? You also mentioned chukkas. Is this something I should be looking at?

I'm attending a couple of conferences. I'm in BA for about 5 days, staying in Puerto Madero. Then I'm off to Bogota for another 4 to 5 days before coming back to BA to fly back to HK. I have a 16 hour layover at EZE on the 11th and am still wondering what to do about it!

Suggestions for food and some sightseeing would be much appreciated.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously jealous for that boca game. Must have been crazy. My girlfriend and I want to go to Argentina and I will make my trip always in line with a big boca game. I hear the atmosphere is great.
It is incredible. I’ve been to five games over the years and they’re all great so you don’t have to wait for a “big game” to capture the atmosphere. With that said, Boca’s archenemy dramatically advanced to the finals of Copa Libertadores (biggest club tournament in South America). Boca takes a 2-0 advantage into tonight’s game versus Palmeiras. If they don’t blow it, we’ll have a superclassico (RiBer versus Boca) in a Libertadores final for the fist time ever. This city is just gonna go absolutely nuts! Praying Boca plays smart tonight and gives me a finals in the Bombonera next week. Good luck.

SZNettles

Reaction score
It is incredible. I’ve been to five games over the years and they’re all great so you don’t have to wait for a “big game” to capture the atmosphere. With that said, Boca’s archenemy dramatically advanced to the finals of Copa Libertadores (biggest club tournament in South America). Boca takes a 2-0 advantage into tonight’s game versus Palmeiras. If they don’t blow it, we’ll have a superclassico (RiBer versus Boca) in a Libertadores final for the fist time ever. This city is just gonna go absolutely nuts! Praying Boca plays smart tonight and gives me a finals in the Bombonera next week. Good luck.
A boca v. River plate final would be absolute nuts. After watching last weeks game, boca should be able to play smart and not give up a 2 goal advantage.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers. so these boots are riding boots? You also mentioned chukkas. Is this something I should be looking at?

I'm attending a couple of conferences. I'm in BA for about 5 days, staying in Puerto Madero. Then I'm off to Bogota for another 4 to 5 days before coming back to BA to fly back to HK. I have a 16 hour layover at EZE on the 11th and am still wondering what to do about it!

Suggestions for food and some sightseeing would be much appreciated.
A polo match is divided into chukkas. And that is the origin of the name for the short riding boots worn by equestrians of all sorts. Americans also refer to them as paddock boots. The long boots are worn during the actual games. If you had more time, I’d recommend the place that manufactures many of the boots sold by the high end stores but it’s in the Mataderos neighborhood and well off the beaten path. If you’re looking for boots go to La Martina in Recoleta or Arandu just around the corner. You’ll pay more but it will be convenient and very good quality. The other Arandu store near Congresso may have a better selection so give that a peak. If you have a difficult foot to fit, you can go bespoke at Casa Fagliano (check out their website). They make the best boots in the world bar none. Also, give Casa de las Botas in Palermo a look. They’ll do semi-bespoke with a 10ish day turnaround. They’re better known for women’s dressage boots but if I were in the market for a pair of chukkas, I’d probably go there.

Puerto Madero is the new business center and caters to international businessmen. There are excellent parillas there with the most famous being Las Lillas. But you’ll never find a local anywhere near there. I’d grab a friend and go to La Brigada in San Telmo for a much better tourist/locals mix. If you want a heavier mix of locals relatively close to where you’ll be staying give Parilla Peña a try. If you want to try a great parilla in Palermo, I could recommend a ton. Just let me know.

As for sights, MALBA in Palermo is unique as it has the best South American modern art collection that I’ve seen. The Museum de Bellas Artes is nearby and worth your while but is more Euro-centric. There’s a Turner exhibit going on right now that I just saw in conjunction with Fisk in London. Take a guided tour of Teatro Colon. It’s the most opulent theatre that I’ve seen. My wife and I will be there on Tuesday for an opera.

And if you want to just get a feel for neighborhoods, just walk around San Telmo, or Recoleta, or Palermo. Get out of Puerto Madero to experience the real city. But there are cool food trucks lining the water in Puerto Madero. Any one will be fine. Order a choripan. It’s the national “sandwich.”

But saving the best for last, go to a soccer game. In descending order, go to Boca, RiBer, San Lorenzo, Independiente or Racing. You’ll love it even if you don’t love the sport. Landing Pad BA can set you up with tickets and transportation. Tell them I sent you. It Tangol does an excellent job also.

P.S. Did I mention that I was born in Bogota and have all of my non-nuclear family there?

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A boca v. River plate final would be absolute nuts. After watching last weeks game, boca should be able to play smart and not give up a 2 goal advantage.
From your mouth to God’s ears, brother.
But that’s probably what Gremio’s fans were thinking having won the first game at RiBer.

J o s h

Reaction score
From your mouth to God’s ears, brother.
But that’s probably what Gremio’s fans were thinking having won the first game at RiBer.

SZ, South American football isn't always smart!

Buen viaje. Pero... Dale River

#elmasgrande

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted visit Argentina, especially BA.
I am fluent in Spanish , having lived in Quito for
a few years decades ago. I am not a sports fan.
The last futbol game I attended was the Women's
World Cup at Stanford Stadium in the 90s.The most
recent SF Giants game was in 2007 from which I left early
to attend an Opera. Aside from the neighborhoods
mentioned, and Teatro Colon what "special" attractions
should I look for? I love traditional architecture and
highrise-free urban environments. Any suggestions?
Gracias !

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Event 4: High tea and cocktails at Alvear Palace. I’m wearing the Vox-designed Swiss Army suit by Steed made of Harrison’s Frontier suiting. I opted for the blazer buttons for this outing. Not wearing the suit trousers as that will come later. Instead wearing OTR B2 trousers in a light VBS flannel. A Kiton shirt and a bow tie from ???. The shoes are Vass black cap-toes.

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted visit Argentina, especially BA.
I am fluent in Spanish , having lived in Quito for
a few years decades ago. I am not a sports fan.
The last futbol game I attended was the Women's
World Cup at Stanford Stadium in the 90s.The most
recent SF Giants game was in 2007 from which I left early
to attend an Opera. Aside from the neighborhoods
mentioned, and Teatro Colon what "special" attractions
should I look for? I love traditional architecture and
highrise-free urban environments. Any suggestions?
Gracias !
I’ll have more for you later but if by “traditional” you mean colonial then BA is not the place. Your Quito and Lima and Bogota have much more to offer in that respect. The huge church in Quito with the nearby Jesuit wooden church are much, much better than anything here. But if you mean turn of the century Art Deco, that’s another story. While it’s not Budapest or Prague, there are excellent examples here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads