• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A brief survey to help with my final major project at college.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
That survey was full of errors.

I see a few of these "Help with my final year project" threads, containing crappy surveys, they all lead me to question what sort of rigorous academic standards are being applied to these courses.

danielmatthewsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
That survey was full of errors.

I see a few of these "Help with my final year project" threads, containing crappy surveys, they all lead me to question what sort of rigorous academic standards are being applied to these courses.

Any tips to improve it then?

Also bump + thanks to everyone who has taken part so far!

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by danielmatthewsmith
Any tips to improve it then?

Also bump + thanks to everyone who has taken part so far!

Can you afford my consultancy rate? If not, poast a picture of your shoes, I will help for free (Mathematics Msc, I also use stats in my Dphil, you want my help, just sayin').

danielmatthewsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
Can you afford my consultancy rate? If not, poast a picture of your shoes, I will help for free (Mathematics Msc, I also use stats in my Dphil, you want my help, just sayin').

Hah! You sound like one of those dicks who everyone loves, very Charlie Sheen-esque. I'll link you to the shoes i'm currently wearing but i cba takign a photo:

http://www.beatrixong.com/leigh/shoes/

SamPepys

Reaction score
As a statistician, I'm always glad to do a survey. However, this one made me cringe. Bad question design leads to bad answers leads to bad output.

ktrp

Reaction score
I take it I'm the first person prepared to spend between 200 and 500 pounds on shoes.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SamPepys
As a statistician, I'm always glad to do a survey. However, this one made me cringe. Bad question design leads to bad answers leads to bad output.
Yeah. Especially questions like #3. Spending 'a lot' means very different things to different people.

pgd3

Reaction score
Things to note.

You've advertised your survey on a website that is international.

As such there is no way I will be shopping at that center, so you lose any possible correlation between quality of clothes, brand, stores, and willingness to spend money on certain items.

Focusing your research group to people in the general geographical area would be more helpful.

Also Formal Vs. Casual wear.
I for one would view my "work/professional attire" in a different catagory than either casual or formal. Business Casual perhaps? Where in I'll wear slacks and a shirt and tie, with nice shoes to work. But no jackets, and the types of slacks are less costly than what I'd view as formal wear. I for one would spend less on very formal wear, more on professional, and less on casual but usually blend my professional clothes into casual wear outfits.

mrjames

Reaction score
here is my critique on the survey 1- Why is this important? Any what do you hope to gain from the answer- I like in the UK, i've heard of it, but i've never shopped there, and I probably have no intention to shop there. I only heard about it through style forum 2- Too vague, I like to buy quality, as do most of us here- but prior to going on Style forum I used to think that hugo boss was the pinnacle of quality and my local tailor could only produce rubbish. 3- Again it's vague. I once spent £300 on a shirt, £900 on a jacket, £600 on glasses- but I also would be begrudged at paying over the odds for something, I wouldn't buy £40 silk socks because I am a show off at heart and no one is ever going to say 'nice socks' 4- I have no casual wear, at least in comparison to the majority- plus what is casual wear? On here casual wear is a blazer with chinos and a tie, in my university formal wear is basically a shirt and jeans. I never dress 'casual' in the T shirt and jeans sense 5- No comment, hugely flawed question 6- Same again 7- £500 will buy you a pretty cheap watch or a very expensive pair of cufflinks, so again it's a sliding scale. I nearly laid down 1.5k for a watch the other day, but I scoffed when I was told that the ice cream at co-op was no longer on offer. I bought a hermes tie, because I know my friends will be impressed with hermes, they are unlikely to have heard of drakes- so the luxury is lost on them, this then raises the question of 'who am I trying to impress'? 8- No, and as said in the previous post it dissolves any hope of correlation people want to express their politics when it comes to justification for their high end purchases, give people the space to write it's a pretty bad survey- but I guess it's indicative of a student who doesn't know the culture of menswear. I doubt I could do a good survey for whatever it is you're studying you've come to the wrong place if you don't want to be nitpicked
tongue.gif
we're all OCD armchair experts on SF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads