• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A breath of sartorial excellence seen tonight

cuffthis

Reaction score
Tonight at Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery, we had a table of 6 people come in. The 5 gentlemen and one lady absolutely left me stunned with the beauty of their attire.

The lady, in her early to late sixties, had that elegant 1930's look to her and was very tastefully attired in a black velvet dress.

The gentlemen all had that casually elegant look to them. I first noticed the sartorial elegance of them when my wife, Meg, who was the hostess, asked me to help check their coats. The oldest gentleman removed his brown chesterfield top coat with ticket pocket. As I took his coat from him, I quickly noticed the quality of the covert cloth and the functional sleeve button holes. He was wearing an ancient Harris Tweed coat underneath his overcoat as well as a gorgeous tattersal shirt and I could see the slight hint of his ascot sticking out of the open collar.

The second gentleman, who appeared to be almost the same age, was wearing a beautiful DB Blue Blazer with a blue candy stripe spread collar shirt with a stunning macclesfield tie, knotted with a classic Windsor knot.

The third person, who appeared to be the son of the first gentleman, was wearing an obviously bespoke Norfolk jacket and a to-die-for houndstooth vest with beautiful rolled lapels. His tie had a perfect dimple in it along with that classic, raised arch and an impossibly small knot reminiscent of photos of Anthony Drexel Biddle.

The fourth person, the youngest, was wearing a single breasted blue blazer with ticket pocket, side vents and beautiful pick stitching, yellow oxford cloth buttondown and an elegant silk ascot with paisley motif.

The fifth person, of about 35 years of age, was wearing what appeared to be a hand me down Brooks Brothers tweed sport coat from the era when all BB coats were done with the very high 3 button rolled to 2 lapel and the two sleeve buttons spaced apart. He finished his look with a simple linen pocket square in a glen plaid pattern.

As I talked with this table during the course of the meal (as my wife do with all the people who dine with us), I couldn't help but have a big smile.

For those who live in NYC, this may be a common occurance. To me in sleepy little Wilmington, DE, this was a very, very pleasant treat. Elegance still exists, not just on Style Forum.

I wish I had brought my digital camera to work tonight.

We found out later that the oldest gentleman, with the brown Chesterfield overcoat, is a world famous artist who lives locally. Apparantly he has taught his family and friends the sartorial arts as well.

I glady took the 10% pocket square discount off their bill. They chuckled at this as I explained it, but if everyone came in dressed like this, customers could simply look around the dining room to witness elegance. Most nights the only sartorial elegance in the restaurant is found in the men's room, where 30+ Lawrence Fellows illustrations from 1930's Esquire are featured.

Tonight certainly helps to deal with the nights when many of the younger customers are hiply attired in the latest AmJack look, square toed shoes and all.

I wish nights like this occurred more often..................................
bigstar[1].gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom, I am so glad to hear this. Good to see some civility still exists!

Rock on...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuffthis
For those who live in NYC, this may be a common occurance.
Not common at all.

Thanks for your report.
smile.gif

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Heart-warming and inspirational!

Indeed!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
nice, you experienced first hand the "mythic sartorialists" and even got to speak with them for a bit. Perhaps due to your graciousness, they will be back with other friends in the future.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lovely story. Always nice to hear real-life examples of sartorial effort!

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Wonderful report. Ladies who are elegantly dressed and groomed always impress me with their style.

If I ever pass by Wilmington, I shall not fail to dine at your fine restaurant, well-dressed, of course!

Do handkerchiefs qualify as pocket squares?
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by cuffthis
Tonight at Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery, we had a table of 6 people come in. The 5 gentlemen and one lady absolutely left me stunned with the beauty of their attire.

The lady, in her early to late sixties, had that elegant 1930's look to her and was very tastefully attired in a black velvet dress.
...<xnip>...

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it! Great story; thanks for sharing.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that great story; hope to be able to come by in the spring or early summer this year.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics, please!
rimshot.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Was the meal on the house?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads