• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Boot for the Balkans

OffToGreeneland

Reaction score
Hi all. First post, though I regularly consult the site, particularly regarding shoes. I have a bit of a unique situation and I'd like the get the input of anyone with relevant knowledge/experience.

I'm currently New York based but I'm going to be spending several years in Kosovo starting next summer, and I want to buy a single pair of boots for my stay that will meet several different criteria. First, they need to be on the formal side, something that I can wear with slacks--though they need not be suit-worthy. Second, they need to be durable enough to endure a lot of walking on different surfaces, anything from cement and cobblestones to dirt roads and fields. Lastly, they need to be sturdy enough that when I inevitably step in mud or trek through the snow with them, they won't become so warped and tarnished as to be unsightly or unwearable. Style-wise, I prefer the cap-toe, minimal extra stitching, and a dark brown color.

I recognize that you can't have all these things, but I'd like to get some ideas on what the best options are for ticking as many boxes as possible. I have no problem spending $400-500 on boots that are going to hold up decently under these conditions.

I've been considering several options:

The ludlow from J. Crew looks nice, and the price is OK at $368, but I'm wary of being suckered into buying knock off Aldens. From what I've read, the leather is a little cheaper than the Aldens, and the construction is done in China rather than the US. Is this the whole difference? If anyone has owned these or any like it, how does the leather look after a few years? And I'd prefer to get lug soles or dainite soles, but it doesn't seem to be an option here.

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/TheDressBoot/PRDOVR~B0551/B0551.jsp

Likewise, the Kenton boots from J. Crew seem like a bargain if they're construction is decent, but that's a big "if". I'd be a happy camper at that price though. And the lug soles make it preferable to the Ludlows.

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/Kentonshoes/PRDOVR~C8869/C8869.jsp

I stopped in an Allen Edmonds store in NYC recently, and tried the First Avenue Dress boots, to which dainite soles can be added for an extra $40. The sales team was a little swamped there and they seemed skeptical of wearing these in anything like the conditions I mentioned. But I suspect they're averse to anything that sounds like it might damage the boot.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...s/SF1193.html?dwvar_SF1193_color=1193#start=6

These oak street trench boots look good and are right in my range at $426. Perhaps I'm being taken in by the name or the coloration (which I'm not crazy about), but these look like they can take a beating, and they're pretty elegant for that.

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/natural-captoe-trench-boot

And of course, I've looked at the Alden Cap Toe Cordovans, but I'd be scared to walk out of the house with these things. I think I'd cry if I stepped in a puddle.

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~20853/20853.jsp

Additionally, if anyone has any opinions on dainite vs leather vs lug soles for mountainous/rural terrain, I'd happily accept it. Thanks in advance. Happy tramping.

loanshark

Reaction score
You should consider Crockett & Jones or Alfred Sargent. Pediwear is one of several reputable sellers with an online presence.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads