• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Bespoke Polo Coat

jamaican

Reaction score
Beautiful coat Michael. Did you use DB size bottons? Just the thing you need for the sub-zero weather in the UK that we have been experiencing of late. I wonder what hat you would wear with it to "set it off" just right. Congratulatations. J

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Very nice.

Did you decide against a breast pocket? Or is that the traditional way to do a Polo?

I think either way is acceptable, though the top left button looks to be in the same place as the pocket would be. Even if a pocket could fit there it would look too crowded. It was definitely a good choice to leave out the breast pocket.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
I really like the 8x3 button stance and the lapels. Is 6x2 or 6x3 more traditional for a polo coat?

6x3 is more traditional. You don't see a whole lot of DB outerwear with non functional buttons on the front. They all work on peacoats/bridgecoats, same with trenchcoats, and same with at least the polo coats I've seen.

I'm in favor of that, actually. I don't like ornamental buttons much.

Oh, and in regards to pockets, for what it's worth, my polo coat doesn't have a breast pocket, nor does my other DB coat.

M. Alden

Reaction score
Very nice Michael. What made you go for a 8x3 configuration instead of the classic 6x2?
Thank you.

I have converted to the 6 x 3 (or 8 x 3) for its higher stance and better coverage in really foul weather. I like the versatility of the coat. Closing the top button and rolling up the lapels gives you great coverage in the chest and neck. Or you can roll it to the second button in good weather and it gives the coat great line. This is the first time I tried an 8 x 3 to recreate the vintage 30s look.

Did you decide against a breast pocket? Or is that the traditional way to do a Polo?
My impression is that the Polo coat is traditionally a 6 x 3 without breast pocket.

Did you use DB size bottons?
Yes. I found that on a sleek 6 x 2 coat the SB overcoat buttons (40') look fine but on the Polo/Ulster made with very thick cloth the larger DB sized button (45') is better.

Just the thing you need for the sub-zero weather in the UK that we have been experiencing of late.
I can vouch for that having been caught in heavy snow in Scotland recently. There was a thick cake of frozen ice all around the coat, but I was warm inside.

I wonder what hat you would wear with it to "set it off" just right.
The relaxed, easy going nature of this style of coat means that you can combine it with many different styles of hat or cap.

Cheers

Michael Alden

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful coat. Well done indeed.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The coat is beautiful, but it looks like conventional patch pockets and flaps and not
the unique Polo coat pocket, where the flap is integrated into the patch pocket.

Polocoat005.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I didn't know Polo did bespoke/MTM. I didn't think they actually had any clothing factories, to be honest.

facepalm.gif

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Absolutely fabulous, Michael. I'm desperately in need of a DB topcoat in camel. Well done!

Hear hear

Travesty

Reaction score
Beautiful, let's see it in the wild, Michael

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice Michael. Of course, when I see a post of yours ... I know all to well that it will be very nice.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
I didn't know Polo did bespoke/MTM. I didn't think they actually had any clothing factories, to be honest.

Nevertheless, that's an absolutely gorgeous coat! I love the way the patch pockets look with the light colored material.

BB, funniest unintentional comment I've seen in a looooong time.
lol8[1].gif

M. Alden

Reaction score
The coat is beautiful, but it looks like conventional patch pockets and flaps and not the unique Polo coat pocket, where the flap is integrated into the patch pocket.
Bengal,

Large patch pockets on overcoats already make a bit of a statement. I thought about using the "mailbox" patch pocket but with thick, heavy cloth they can be a bit cumbersome and bulky. The plain patches seemed quieter. I think the mailbox can work well with lighter, thinner overcoat cloth, a 500 gms cashmere for example.

Cheers

Michael Alden
www.thelondonlounge.net

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Alden
I thought about using the "mailbox" patch pocket.....

I do like the term "mailbox" for those pockets.
smile.gif
worship.gif
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I do like the term "mailbox" for those pockets.
smile.gif
worship.gif
smile.gif

I always heard them called "envelope pockets."

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nevertheless, that's an absolutely gorgeous coat! I love the way the patch pockets look with the light colored material.

Polo does MTM and there Polo coat is the one that I would want to emulate with the flap breast pocket.
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads