A Beginner's Guide to MC. Look here once before posting.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pvrhye, Mar 14, 2011.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

OP- thanks, you answered some questions i was to embarrased to ask [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

OP- thanks, you answered some questions i was to embarrased to ask [​IMG]

You can still wear them.

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

You can still wear them.

thats a relief thanks

5. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

This is just the kind of primer info that Is necessary when we n00bs show up.

Might I suggest also adding some info on ties. Perhaps also fabrics. The two not necessarilly together. Specifically perhaps different tie constructions (6, 7 fold, etc), knots (4 in hand, windsor, etc), exotic tie materials that may not have been seen (knit ties, cashmere, grenandine), I've seen a number of questions about bow ties since arriving. For fabrics, things like what "super 1xx" means, tweed, twill, all that stuff.

Not that this is necessarily things you need to go into, but those are questions I've found myself searching for. For some of this, there are disparate links scattered about that could be useful, rather than rehasing it. Hell, a list of links - like David Hober's guides, A Tailored Suit guides, etc, would be good and (hopefully) keep some folks who are less inclined to look at the top right of their screens from starting new threads.

I think this is all stuff for people who've been here a bit debate. I'm trying to keep it somewhat pruned. If it's too long, body will read it.

Some Terminology:
    Inseam (I) = The inseam is the distance from the crotch to the leg opening
    Outseam (O) = The outseam is the entire length of the jeans...measured from the top of the waist...down the side- all the way down to the leg opening
    Front Rise (FR) = The front rise is the distance from the crotch seam to the top of the waistband
    BackRise (BR) = The back rise is from the crotch seam to the top of waistband in the back
    Thigh (Th)= From the crotch seam to the edge of the leg
    A (Ankle) (cuff, leg opening)=
    Hips = Measure the hips is flat across the base of the zipper
    BoC: Bottom of Collar to end of jacket

Mind if I burglarize this wholesale? Gonna do it anyway actually.

6. Tano

Tano Senior member

yep, sure. I wish i had all this info before.

You can also add 'What to look for in a good shirt' (subjective):
    2ply yarn shirts
    Non fused collars and cuffs
    Single-needle stitching
    MOP buttons
    Pattern Matching at shoulders
    Thread count >=100

7. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Hah! You held out for a whole week, almost to the minute. And you devoted your 25,000th post to Andy Gilchrist! I'm sure Andy will be very proud. Now go post something useful in Manton's CBD thread. [​IMG]

8. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I think this is all stuff for people who've been here a bit debate. I'm trying to keep it somewhat pruned. If it's too long, body will read it.

Fair enough. Alternatively, I would say we should put this (in perhaps an expanded form with info pruned in detail from good topics where it's discussed) in the wiki, but I don't know how many folks think about the wiki.

9. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Hah! You held out for a whole week, almost to the minute. And you devoted your 25,000th post to Andy Gilchrist! I'm sure Andy will be very proud. Now go post something useful in Manton's CBD thread. [​IMG]
    It was an onomatopoeia before it was about Andy.
    Fair enough. Alternatively, I would say we should put this (in perhaps an expanded form with info pruned in detail from good topics where it's discussed) in the wiki, but I don't know how many folks think about the wiki.
    This isn't really meant to be a replacement for the wiki (which I still consider a worthwhile project.) When I get some more time I'll edit it a bit and root out all the typos. For the time being, I'm trying to keep it in the front 2 pages so the new folk can track it down. I thought about telling them to use the search function, but the search is only as good as the terms used. I hope after reading this they'll feel compelled to search some of the terms learned here.

10. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

11. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Can I suggest for the benefit of non-Americans (or those buying English shoes), you re-title Oxfords as something like 'Dress shoes'? In the UK an Oxford only refers to a Balmoral i.e. Derby/Blucher Oxford/Balmoral.

13. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Can I suggest for the benefit of non-Americans (or those buying English shoes), you re-title Oxfords as something like 'Dress shoes'? In the UK an Oxford only refers to a Balmoral i.e. Derby/Blucher Oxford/Balmoral.

I added a note about the terminology.

14. kellgy

kellgy Senior member

Good idea. Imo, you might add links to important threads on each topic, such as A Harris's "Shoes Explained" and tutee's "On Pants": http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ht=tutee+pants

I started reading this well informed thread (on pants) and noted the pictures are working due to domain violation issues. This is a real let down since I am trying to learn about this right now and my hopes have been shattered on the rocks of image blocking.

Drat!

15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I started reading this well informed thread (on pants) and noted the pictures are working due to domain violation issues. This is a real let down since I am trying to learn about this right now and my hopes have been shattered on the rocks of image blocking.

Drat!

If you're really after it, the previous solution mentioned has been to quote whatever post(s) you're reading, copy the URLs out, then paste them into a browser window.