• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A $17,000 suit? Really?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but I wonder if anyone can explain what kind of suit you get for $17K, and why it might be worth the money.

me tailor sometime make $20,000 bespoke suit.
he say it all hand work and good material.
$17,000 is nothing.

Other man here make $50,000 bespoke over coat,
no big deal,
it only a coat.
http://www.johnhcutler.com/the-coat-route-the-story-of-a-50000-bespoke-overcoat/

me tailor not like all hand sewn coat and will charge lot of money if man want it.
me tailor say all hand sewn coat is silly and not advise it ever.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Chris, I'm curious how much of your clientele comes from the internet? I recently had dinner with a tailor, and was surprised to learn that many of his new clients come by way of online forums and blogs. I wasn't expecting to hear that. I would have thought most of his clients would be like what they were 30-40 years ago - businessmen who simply need new clothes, or perhaps a few millionaires who just want to look good.

Since the above description sounds like the opposite of online flâneurs (myself included), I'm curious - do you get very many new clients because of the internet?

i would guess that 75%+ new customers find me via the internet. some are present readers of the forums, others find reviews and mentions on blogs, and forums. very rarely do i get tire kickers.maybe twice a month someone comes in and looks around and does not order, 80%+ people who call or email, make appointments. the ones who do not are usually looking for a lower priced garment.(or think i make t-shirts). the customers have done their research. Many customers are referred by tailors, or from friend or workplace associates. these customers usually still do some internet research.

to comment on the high fabric aspect of this thread. I have a very small percentage of customers looking for 2/200 fabric and "real" sea island cotton. and high end Linen. I am less expensive for these pricey fabrics as I often reduce my Mark-up on the fabric. My needle and lining/fusing does not change. I do use a more expensive button.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I saw 93% vicuña at the LP sale going for 80% off $26k for 4 yards. I was tempted but couldn't justify the cost. I suspect it would be best as a "gift", possibly to an oligarch or a member of the politburo.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This gent is a very elegant dresser and likes rare cloth and is very unpretentious.

Chris, I'm curious how much of your clientele comes from the internet? I recently had dinner with a tailor, and was surprised to learn that many of his new clients come by way of online forums and blogs. I wasn't expecting to hear that. I would have thought most of his clients would be like what they were 30-40 years ago - businessmen who simply need new clothes, or perhaps a few millionaires who just want to look good.

Since the above description sounds like the opposite of online flâneurs (myself included), I'm curious - do you get very many new clients because of the internet?

Internet is the go to for finding information about any service or product. Most of the calls come from men researching tailors by the internet. Very very few new internet clients actually participate on the forums or blogs, they use the internet only to glean information. Can only think of 5 or 6 clients that actually post on SF or other forums. Would say the internet has been overall a positive for tailors by providing exposure to a small trade that has been pretty much unknown to the general public.

Still get a good amount of new clients from word of mouth. Best new client story. This gentleman was in a meeting with an existing client and thought he was really well dressed but didn't feel comfortable asking him where he purchased his clothes. He called his assistant, received my name and called for an appointment.

More surprising is how many are willing to travel to have clothes made. Over half of what we are making at present is for clients who don't live in Chicago or Dallas.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
I have sold 2 Holland & Sherry Blue Sapphire Suits and 1 Dormeuil Jade this season and several Ambassadors. I am finding that my high-end clients are pushing the boundaries of luxury and exclusiveness. Gentlemen who were buying $1,500.00 suits are now buying $2,500.00 suits, ones that wear 5K suits are looking at 10K and so on.

fetez

Reaction score
Hi Guys! I have a Brioni suit with a "Vicuna Peru" label in it but nothing specific about the fabric. Does anybody know if Brioni uses these labels also for "simple" wool mixes like 97% S180 3% Vicuna etc.? Thanks a lot!

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Would say the internet has been overall a positive for tailors by providing exposure to a small trade that has been pretty much unknown to the general public.

I agree, it's the same with custom bag making.

what i found interesting in the article is not the 17k price tag, i can see that with good hand work, but that "men’s wear now outpacing that of women’s according to many in the industry" this is news to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads