1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, May 6, 2004.

1. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Does anybody else get skeeved out by the idea of used shoes?

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I could never buy used shoes - dead man's shoes don't go on my feet. I'll buy vintage clothing that looks like it was used by a *young* person, or at least a person during their youth (tshirts, track jackets, jeans) but anything that might have been taken out of some old man's closet after he died or was committed to a home - even if it is a Brioni suit - strikes me a macabre. Now, if I know the provenance of the piece (such as pieces used in movies), that's a different story.

4. kabert

kabert Senior member

What's the joke?  The leather uppers looks to be in fine shape.  The soles indicate some wear, but don't look to have ever been re-soled.  At first I thought that might be a hole in the soles, but upon examination, it's just a designation of the Crockett & Jones name in gold type.  If someone gets them for, say $55, seems like a good buy to me.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem buying used clothes or shoes.  If I find a perfect Oxxford blazer at a thrift shop for $45 or a gorgeous Brioni blazer for $160 on EBay, in my size, I'm not going to blink and in fact will get a jolt of glee for having found it.  Same goes for shoes -- I've bought multiple pairs of EG and Lobb shoes on EBay -- some new and some used -- and I frankly couldn't care less about who their prior owner was, as long as the shoes were well taken care of and the amount of wear is clearly/accurately indicated and represented by the EBay seller.  Concerns over who the prior owner was evaporate when the final EBay bid (mine) is, e.g., $78 for a pair of perfect, but slightly used, Lobb "Campus" loafers.  My wife, on the other hand, refused to buy shoes on EBay that aren't new.  To each his/her own, I guess.

5. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Maybe they're fakes? Full rubber heels seem unusual for quality shoe.

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I must be thick. I can't get the joke either.

I'd guess, the shoes are from the late 60s, early 70s. C & J might well have used rubber heels at that time. (Or the retailer specified them with the order.) Nobody would fake rubber heels with C & J embossed.

7. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Maybe it's the "SIMILAR CROCKETT & JONES SHOES RETAIL FOR $600.00+" part.