1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

90% of men's clothing is bought by women

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stevejobs, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Liberty Ship

Liberty Ship Senior member

This is something that always amuses me. I have pretty much decided that when I see a man who looks completely horrible or exceptionally good, I speculate he picked out his own clothes. When he looks mediocre, I assume his wife/mommy picked out his clothes.

I think that this has developed from watching couples come in to clothing stores when I am shopping there. As the wife drags the hapless/bored/disinterested/whipped husband from rack to rack you can watch the birth of a bland, matchy-matchy, overly co-ordinated ensemble which the husband agrees to so he can get back to the sofa and the big game.

On the extreme ends of this fashion "bell curve" we have men who know what they are doing and care about how they present themselves, and those who don't. But the women dominate the midsection.

2. thetieguy

thetieguy Senior member

90% of mine is not and I wish 90% of men would buy 100% of their wives clothes. Women dress horrible most of the time and would look better if we started buying their clothes for them.

3. John Ellis

John Ellis Senior member

This is something that always amuses me. I have pretty much decided that when I see a man who looks completely horrible or exceptionally good, I speculate he picked out his own clothes. When he looks mediocre, I assume his wife/mommy picked out his clothes.

I think that this has developed from watching couples come in to clothing stores when I am shopping there. As the wife drags the hapless/bored/disinterested/whipped husband from rack to rack you can watch the birth of a bland, matchy-matchy, overly co-ordinated ensemble which the husband agrees to so he can get back to the sofa and the big game.

On the extreme ends of this fashion "bell curve" we have men who know what they are doing and care about how they present themselves, and those who don't. But the women dominate the midsection.

A perfect description of how 60 at least of American males buy their clothes. Go to conventions or business conferences in middle America and the consequences are on full display. Exactly what I think. Who knows where the 20% slobs get their clothes from, we can immediately identify the 20% who do their own thing and make a reasonable job of it. Maybe my 20% is high, let's say 10-20%.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

I've read that most men clothing is bought by women...sounds right especially for middle aged men that are married and younger men that have their mothers shop for them ...around the middle school-elementary grade.

Only men that usually shop for themselves are the young bachelors or high school students....in short it makes sense

Not really. Who buys from a tailor likely isn't tracked, and many retail stores surely are not accounted for. There are statistics that men are buying more of their own clothing than they used to, which is consistent with longer bachelorhood and maybe also the ease of Internet shopping. One issue the original quote raises is whether men who buy their own clothing generally have fewer items (and probably more outdated, worn-out, and ill-fitting items) than those who let others do most of the work for them. Another issue is which clothing items (the 90% probably includes ties) a man is more likely to let someone buy on his behalf.

5. Ralph373

Ralph373 Member

Maybe 90% of men's clothing are chosen thinking of her,,, but defiantly not by her.

6. Chaya Cooper

Chaya Cooper New Member

The data doesn't support that view. According to Marshal Cohen the chief analyst of the NPD Group, the percentage has grown from only 25 percent of men's apparel being bought by men in 1985, to 65 percent of men's apparel being bought by men in 2012.

Sources:
    NY Times “Gay or Straight? Hard to Tell” http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/fashion/sundaystyles/gay-or-straight-hard-to-tell.html?_r=0
    NPD Group “The NPD Group Reports Men’s Fashion Goes More Casual” https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/...-group-reports-mens-fashion-goes-more-casual/