90% of men's clothing is bought by women

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stevejobs, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Sator

Sator Senior member

I actually buy her clothes as well. [​IMG]

I too buy all of my GFs clothes. She defaults to me for complete guidance in her wardrobe choices. I answer I have no idea about women's stuff - "sorry can't help" - but end up being forced to come up with things anyway. I even brought Lady - the women's version of Gentleman co-authored by Berhardt Roetzel to help me. Her friends and even her mum are wowed by the stuff I get her. I now even look carefully at how Lucille Ball is dressed in her TV shows for examples of well tailored women's suits and elegantly made dresses. I am quick to pour abject contempt on catwalk trash - and she listen!!![​IMG]

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

In other breaking news, 90% of statistics are made up by idiots who have no backing for their claims...
    I've heard this is true only 50% of the time.

3. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I too buy all of my GFs clothes. She defaults to me for complete guidance in her wardrobe choices. I answer I have no idea about women's stuff - "sorry can't help" - but end up being forced to come up with things anyway. I even brought Lady - the women's version of Gentleman co-authored by Berhardt Roetzel to help me. Her friends and even her mum are wowed by the stuff I get her. I now even look carefully at how Lucille Ball is dressed in her TV shows for examples of well tailored women's suits and elegantly made dresses. I am quick to pour abject contempt on catwalk trash - and she listen!!![​IMG]

Sator is awesome.

4. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

I can't speak on all women, but i have noticed from observation in my college days that girls of that age, even if "into fashion," are horrible in their eye for guy style.

5. WestIndianArchie

WestIndianArchie Senior member

+1 (almost) my gf will almost always ask my opinion before she makes a new purchase

Something i'd rather avoid, personally.[​IMG]

6. WestIndianArchie

I can't speak on all women, but i have noticed from observation in my college days that girls of that age, even if "into fashion," are horrible in their eye for guy style.

Kinda makes you wonder when they start complimenting you.

7. visionology

visionology Senior member

My father hasn't bought an article of clothing since the 1970s and if not for my mom would probably look like a bum and wouldn't care.

In fact I can't remember the last time he set foot in a store that wasn't Home Depot, Sears, or some random garden store.

We have to buy things for him and have my mom sneak them into the dresser because he gets upset if you buy anything. One year I tried to buy him some shoe trees and he threw a tantrum about spending money and he doesn't need them so I ended up returning them.

8. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

Kinda makes you wonder when they start complimenting you.

Appreciating artwork, performances or sports does not require mastery of the said matter. So their inability to make correct purchasing decisions should have little correlation to appreciation of fine men's clothing.

9. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Appreciating artwork, performances or sports does not require mastery of the said matter. So their inability to make correct purchasing decisions should have little correlation to appreciation of fine men's clothing.
    You know, that's a good point. However, I think it's more applicable to being complimented on your look as a whole rather than on one individual item i.e. "you're a great dresser" as opposed to "I like that tie".

10. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

You know, that's a good point. However, I think it's more applicable to being complimented on your look as a whole rather than on one individual item i.e. "you're a great dresser" as opposed to "I like that tie".

Comments such as "I like that tie" or "nice shoes" typically means nothing but a greeting and a conversation starter. It would be equivalent to, say, complimenting 'did you lose some weight' to a obese person, or saying 'i like your new hair style' to someone who just got a haircut.

It's not really because the tie is nice, but they have no other way to greet people without feeling awkward. It's the culture here in the States, rarely frank but usually filled with compliments.

11. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Comments such as "I like that tie" or "nice shoes" typically means nothing but a greeting and a conversation starter. It would be equivalent to, say, complimenting 'did you lose some weight' to a obese person, or saying 'i like your new hair style' to someone who just got a haircut.

It's not really because the tie is nice, but they have no other way to greet people without feeling awkward. It's the culture here in the States, rarely frank but usually filled with compliments.

What about "I like that tie" or "nice shoes" in the middle of conversion? Would that mean she wants to sleep with me?

12. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

What about "I like that tie" or "nice shoes" in the middle of conversion? Would that mean she wants to sleep with me?

If a store clerk says that, she really implies hurry the f*ck up and buy the god damn f*cking shoes so she can earn the commissions!

Otherwise, I like your tie.

13. WestIndianArchie

Prior to SF, yes.

Post SF, unclear.

14. jwarri5

jwarri5 Active Member

I've read that most men clothing is bought by women...sounds right especially for middle aged men that are married and younger men that have their mothers shop for them ...around the middle school-elementary grade.

Only men that usually shop for themselves are the young bachelors or high school students....in short it makes sense

15. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I have a few clients that ask me all the time....where does your wife get all of your clothes? LOL

I actually buy her clothes as well. [​IMG]

+1