• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9-ball

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
anyone play billiards? especially 9-ball?

for me, during my 'bad years' a long time ago, i used to go to this local billiards place near my home. it was a purist billiards club until in the later years it got bought by someone else and it just turned into a place to hang out by kids.
they had great tables: brunswick and simonis cloth and cuetech for house cues.
and they ran weekly tournaments both organization and open with money added. i used used to play in the tournaments there and at other local spots too.

i started get my interest in it again after watching some youtube on last year's Open 9-Ball Tournament which is the premier tournament in the US.

like this one

anyone else here play pool or have an interest?
i am also looking to buy a cue. i want to get back into it a little, not much, it can be consuming.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to play 9-ball and billiards quite a bit when I was in highschool and undergrad. Nowadays, I'm not that much into it. Once in a while, I'll play some drunken idiots at a bar. I do miss my old cue though. I forgot the name, but it was a pretty decent one. I bought it second hand for about $400. That was my battle cue, and it probably paid for itself after the first few games.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I played a lot of straight pool (race to 50, 100, etc.) in my undergrad days and shortly thereafter, but was never all that. Got away from the game for a while, but had a decent time running people off the bar table in Cancun last May. I would have thought that I would be smoother with the years, but I'm still streaky as hell.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I would only play for drinks and even then I made sure to buy a round every once in a while. Being stationed in S.C. for 4 yrs left me with little else to do than shoot pool and drink. If I get into it again I'll end up buying a Predator shaft for my Joss.

P.S. You can only get good at one if partaking in both at the same time. I'm an excellent drinker.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was the college 9 Ball champion of my undergrad years.

This wasn't hard since the tournaments used to have about 8 people
laugh.gif

This was at Rice U., Houston, Tx. in the 1970s.

I would say I was above average, but no one else was even average. I did gamble, mostly 8 Ball and 9 Ball. I also played rotation. Very little straight pool. 9 Ball is probably the best game today and a good test of skill.

I played 3 cushion billiards (which is a whole other world), but no one else did, and there were very few 3 cushion tables in Houston, back then.

You can find good deals on cues on Ebay and internet sites. But you have to know the market and what you are doing.

My favorite cues were made by Richie Lucasi. I had 3 but they're long gone.

My Dad taught me how to play pool and billiards in NYC in the 1960s. We played at Ames Billiards often, where "The Hustler", with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason was filmed. I wish I could say that I saw them but I did not. My dad was very good. I think his straight pool high run was about 80! Not pro level but good. He really did know some of the greats like Willie Mosconi.

I haven't played in about 7 years. Pool is definitely a game of repetition. If I play daily or 4 or 5 times a week, I could probably get back to 75% of my previous game. But I doubt I'll put in the time to do that.

Good Luck and get back into the game.

But don't let it cut into your Santoni time
laugh.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I was the college 9 Ball champion of my undergrad years.

This wasn't hard since the tournaments used to have about 8 people
laugh.gif

This was at Rice U., Houston, Tx. in the 1970s.

I would say I was above average, but no one else was even average. I did gamble, mostly 8 Ball and 9 Ball. I also played rotation. Very little straight pool. 9 Ball is probably the best game today and a good test of skill.

I played 3 cushion billiards (which is a whole other world), but no one else did, and there were very few 3 cushion tables in Houston, back then.

You can find good deals on cues on Ebay and internet sites. But you have to know the market and what you are doing.

My favorite cues were made by Richie Lucasi. I had 3 but they're long gone.

My Dad taught me how to play pool and billiards in NYC in the 1960s. We played at Ames Billiards often, where "The Hustler", with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason was filmed. I wish I could say that I saw them but I did not. My dad was very good. I think his straight pool high run was about 80! Not pro level but good. He really did know some of the greats like Willie Mosconi.

I haven't played in about 7 years. Pool is definitely a game of repetition. If I play daily or 4 or 5 times a week, I could probably get back to 75% of my previous game. But I doubt I'll put in the time to do that.

Good Luck and get back into the game.

But don't let it cut into your Santoni time
laugh.gif

hey man . that is great to hear. what happened to your cues? sold them for santonis? hehehehe.
i was sliglhtly above avg too. good enough for billiard locals to take notice, but bad enough for the semi-pros to take my money all the time.

at that time they had a league called USPPA, ( i think it is still around) with a scoring system from 0-1000 or something like that,
if you are over a 90, you are considered a club B player , if you are 130 , you are considered club A, over that and you are a semi-pro or something like that. B players in my book are really good players.
i never joined USPPA, but some people who knew me said i was a 60-70

im thinking about actualy going to vegas to check out their annual 9 ball tournament , think it would be fun and it would be great to meet sfers there , who knows. just an inkling.

nothing cuts into my santoni time . nothing
smile.gif

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played alot of snooker and 3 cushion in school ( always could get a table
laugh.gif
)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
I played alot of snooker and 3 cushion in school ( always could get a table
laugh.gif
)

I also grew up shooting snooker on 6' x 12' tables. Moving down to the smaller pool table was like shooting fish in a barrel.

For those who haven't seen it The Huslter is the best pool movies ever made and easily one of the best movies period.

Jackie Gleason was hugely underrated as a dramatic actor. His crushing of Newman was a tour de force.

lefty

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to play ever saturday night with some buddies. Real run down dive of a place but it was great. Never really busy, cheap beer and one fee to play all night. Plus it gave us a chance to get away from our wives/ girlfriends once in a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads