• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theoldadage

Reaction score
Are rubber soles really that bad? They will be useful in the rain...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd wear them as they are until they wear out.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd wear the shoes and enjoy them. They would be great to wear during wet weather. Alternatively, sell them on the B&S forum or eBay.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSN125
A while back I purchased a pair of John Lobb brown leather shoes with RUBBER soles. They were on sale, fit nicely, and for some reason at the time, i felt like rubber soles were ok. Now I have decided I hate the rubber soles. I have not worn the shoes once.

I called John Lobb in NYC and they said they can replace the rubber soles with a LEATHER sole for ~$400. I think I paid $260 or for the shoes to begin with. Any thoughts on the value of switching soles? Is there a good shoemaker that can replace the soles for me for considerably cheaper?

What would you do?

Yes, there are cobblers who can do it cheaper. Some will do it really badly, some could do it fine, but having someone else resole the shoes would mean that the John Lobb RTW factory would never take the shoes back for resoling or refurbishment after that. It depends if that matters to you; it may be forum groupthink that having the original factory refurbish something is akin to magic.

Chances are that in the US Lobb would simply provide a local cobbler subcotnractor with the appropriate Lobb leather sole and have them put it on. On the plus side, this might mean that their local source would do a dependably good job and the sole itself would be of good quality. Is that worth the extra money to you?

In the end, if you haven't worn them because you can't stand the soles, and it would mean that much to you to have the leather soles, it's up to you what you choose. If you have enough shoes you do like, why not keep the Lobbs with rubber soles in your closet and think about it again in a few months? Maybe you'll decide you like them with the rubber soles.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They will put them back on the original lasts and generally do their best to make them good as new.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this option. Assuming in a year or two after good wear, I decide to re-sole the shoes - can Lobb fix up the leather shoe part and make it look as good as new (consider if i wear them in wet weather...)? Otherwise a worn out shoes with a new leather sole, doesn't do me much good either.
Originally Posted by grimslade
They will put them back on the original lasts and generally do their best to make them good as new.
+1 Mind you ANY shoe needs maintaining, what ever sole or weather ...

goodlife

Reaction score
Otherwise a worn out shoes with a new leather sole, doesn't do me much good either.
Hopefully they will have character, not be worn out, by the first resoling. I you do decide to resole with leather, either now or later, you might consider double soles. You will get more wear for your money, and a shoe designed for rubber will probably look good with a double sole. I think there was a thread about this a while back. Here's that thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...t=double+soles and here is one it linked to about someone who did exactly what you are thinking about http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=83450

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a Danite sole then the thickness and visual aspect is to my mind pretty similar to a double leather sole. My choice in footwear would be severly restricted without Dainite soles, and am frustrated by the lack of choice in more formal black shoes, to the point that I'm thinking about buying double leather soled shoes and having them replaced with Dainite... I'm not keen on the look of heavier rubber soles on anything but country boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads