1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

85% Wool 15% Polyester Blend Sport Coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CollegeStyle, Mar 6, 2013.

1. CollegeStyle

CollegeStyle New Member

I am looking into getting a couple fairly inexpensive sport coats. Initially I was looking to get 100% wool, but I read that including a percentage of polyester under 20% can increase fabric strength and minimize wrinkling without greatly affecting look. I am planning on wearing them a lot so I thought it would be good to have a slightly stronger fabric. I know a larger percentage of polyester can make a jacket look cheap, shiny, and plasticy. Is it true that it is ok to have a lower percentage of polyester, like 15%, without ruining the look of the coat?

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

No, I can accept the lining's fabric being man-made, but not the body.
    You just get to find hard on sales, or save up a bit.

3. comrade

comrade Senior member

I am not sure that a small percentage of polyester is the "kiss of death".
    However, it is my impression that jackets which are made with this fabric are
    generally of lower quality. Not because they contain this fiber but because cheap
    clothing is largely where it is used. One of the first suits that I bought myself decades
    ago was sold to me by Roland Meledandri. It was an Ivy style tweed and conatined
    some polyester. An except of my post in SF, a few years ago, referring to him is below:

The late and sainted Roland Meledandri, a major influence in high-end menswear in the 70s
    till his untimely death, wore four button suits during the Ivy League style era in the late
    '50s -60s. At the time he worked at the pioneering clothiers, Calsual Aire and Men's Town
    and Country in Greenwich Village and later the East Side, where the merchandise pushed
    the "Ivy" envelope. He also sported a magnificent handle bar mustache. I had one of his
    tweed suits. It only had three buttons.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  4. CollegeStyle

CollegeStyle New Member

Thanks for the help, I'll keep looking for a 100% wool jacket. What are some recommended brands for modern blazers and sport coats?