• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$800 in NYC - what would you do?

synik

Reaction score
Hello. So I'm in NYC at the moment and basically have one day up my sleeve to find a suit.

I'm aware of the sales at Saks etc. so I will check that out but I was wondering what suggestions (designer etc) people would make for this budget and some good stores to check out?

Ironically, I'm after a more modern/UK style suit so I'm not going to bother with Brooks Brothers even tho the 2 for $1000 sounds great.

My budget is a little flexible as well but I'd like to keep it around there. I spotted some nice Boss shoes for $290 that I think I may have to splurge on.

All help is really appreciated (and I wish I posted this earlier!)

I'm actually heading to London as well, so I'd be interested to hear if you think I should just hang onto my cash - NYC strikes me as a more 'bang for buck' city for shopping, however.

synik

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not entirely sold. Methinks I can prob find something comprable for less but time is not on my side - tomorrow and Wed are the only days I can *really* do more shopping. Friday I will be busy getting ready to fly out (I have a super early Saturday flight) and Thursday everything is closed, obviously.

Bit of a bummer because I've got some more sight seeing to do. I do need a new suit tho, my old one has a tear in it (its been mended but defo time for a new one).

Thanks for that, why do you say it? Are they crap? Do you feel the same way about their suits?

why4009

Reaction score
First of all, try to avoid paying retail. If you read through the board you will find names of shoes that are pretty well respected that can be bought for a good price. Allen Edmonds are a good deal since they can often be bought below retail.

It sounds like you need a suit so focus on that. Maybe you should list out what you currently have in your wardrobe and then the experts (not I) can suggest what you should add. The economy is struggling, having some patience could pay off very well for you.

Good luck.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take all your e-friends out to dinner!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by synik
Yeah, I'm not entirely sold. Methinks I can prob find something comprable for less but time is not on my side - tomorrow and Wed are the only days I can *really* do more shopping. Friday I will be busy getting ready to fly out (I have a super early Saturday flight) and Thursday everything is closed, obviously.

Bit of a bummer because I've got some more sight seeing to do. I do need a new suit tho, my old one has a tear in it (its been mended but defo time for a new one).

Thanks for that, why do you say it? Are they crap? Do you feel the same way about their suits?

Their suits really aren't very bad, as long as you get them on sale. Boss isn't liked very well around here, but I feel as though they're a decent deal if you get them on sale.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Take all your e-friends out to dinner!

+1
smile.gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiLLscaLLion
My first suggestion is not to buy the Boss shoes.

+1

If you are heading to London visit Northampton. Northampton is famous for shoes and they sell seconds.

(Use the search here at SF with 'Northampton' and you will find information)

jeffersonmc

Reaction score
Jeffrey's is a must stop while in NYC. $800 probably won't get you far @ Jeffrey's, but any where else, Friday is your best bet to catch all the Black Friday sales before your leave. Good luck!
thumbs-up.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, before you think of designers or stores, think of what you need (if you actually need anything) A suit? Sweater? Dress pants? Denim? Etc.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
+1

If you are heading to London visit Northampton. Northampton is famous for shoes and they sell seconds.

(Use the search here at SF with 'Northampton' and you will find information)

As tempting as it may sound, you should only consider visiting Northampton if you got plenty of free time on your hands. After all, it´s easily sixty miles away from London, might be even more.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to check Century 21 and Filene's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads