1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

8 Button Front Flannel Purple Label Pinstripe Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Apr 26, 2006.

1. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

It really does work. I like it.

Wouldn't Steve Harvey territory be an orange SB 5-button jacket?

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Royal Tenenbaum? I believe his is a six button, which gets you this look without the ridiculousness.

[​IMG]

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I have a donna karan 8 button double breast that looks nearly identical to that one, sans the quality. These suits were real popular around '95-6 with everyone doing 6 or 8 button DBs.

*just remembered I have a 6 button charcoal flannel chalkstripe that I got in Seoul back in 96 that is lurking in the deep recesses of my closet, so count me in for having TWO of these cuts *D'OH*!

4. A Y

A Y Senior member

Sorry, I don't like this jacket, because the lapels are too short, too much shirt is covered up and the emphasis is on the vertical lines of the jacket with the 8 buttons in front. I can see a sportscaster wearing this for Sunday football, which doesn't help its case for me, either. Maybe it's good for shorter people? And I like DBs, too, but because DBs give you a more interesting set of lines to look at, with the longer diagonal lines of the crossing lapels blending into the vertical lines of the jacket. A 6-2 DB has my favorite balance of this effect, while a 6-1 or a lower 4-1 is like the opposite of this jacket: too much diagonal, not enough vertical. Here's an example of what I'm talking about (sorry about the tie): [​IMG] There's also a definite waist on this jacket that works with the physical features of the jacket (the 2nd button row), which makes it look more functional than the 8 buttons on the RLPL, but that's just my prejudice. --Andre

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I drew the Steve Harvey comparison as a joke, of course, but I think there's a grain of truth in it. I can't see what this suit accomplishes, except to step up the "look at me" factor of the already dramatic DB suit. It works well, for what it is, but that doesn't make it wearable.

Soph's art analogy is apt, I think, in that the wearer of this suit becomes an easel for the canvas. I'd rather avoid that.

6. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

My implication being that the aforeposted suit was hip in the same way that a faux tuxedo might be. That is, hip through a combination of utter ignorance of the rules (going back to the tux analogy, the black suit and long tie), a certain outre gaudiness (the silver long tie), and an affectation of formality/occaision (the spread collar.)

I wasn't suggesting that you ever said anything about tuxedos at all, I was just pointing out that the rationale for finding a suit like this one hip seems similar to that behind the Hollywood tux.

There's no ignorance of the rules here--it is RL, and as whoopee pointed out almost that exact cut was worn by Dorian Gray (movie was 1945 but set in the mid 1800s, IMMSMC [​IMG]). What's more, the aesthetic is quite far removed from the mafiesque faux tux you're suggesting.

I think V Man has got it--it's for a dude who's cocksure and in great shape. Has its place, just not for me.

Tom

7. j

j Senior member Admin

I'd wear it. Unbutton the bottom button and maybe the top one and it wouldn't look that weird at all.

8. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I'd wear it. Unbutton the bottom button and maybe the top one and it wouldn't look that weird at all.

I think that might work. At least the top one.

The pants look too slim cut for my taste, though.

9. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

It's different but not in a Steve Harvey sort of way. If anything, it's more stuffy than fashion-forward. Except for the button stance, it's a very traditional coat and reminds me a lot more of Dege 6x3 I saw than anything else.

[​IMG]

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's different but not in a Steve Harvey sort of way. If anything, it's more stuffy than fashion-forward. Except for the button stance, it's a very traditional coat and reminds me a lot more of Dege 6x3 I saw than anything else.

[​IMG]

Now that's handsome. And it achieves the same effect without the flashy nonsense. Just needs the bottom button undone.

11. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The Dege silhouette suits the coat better, too.

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

[​IMG]
    Despite myself, I like this cut. It seems to me, though that the top button in this photo may not be meant to be buttoned - look at the angle of the left (model's right) lapel. Also, I'm a stickler for the rule about not buttoning the bottom button. I suspect unbuttoning the top and bottom buttons would make this look fine.

13. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

[​IMG]
    The tie and pocket square are nausea-inducing on a record-breaking, hypno-toad level. Lovely jacket, though.

14. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Now that's handsome. And it achieves the same effect without the flashy nonsense. Just needs the bottom button undone.

I can't imagine why the didn't unbutton the bottom button - especially given how that button pulls the fabric creating an unsightly ripple.

15. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

I can't imagine why the didn't unbutton the bottom button - especially given how that button pulls the fabric creating an unsightly ripple.
    Don't know what the overall theme of the show was, but buttoning the bottom button (and top) maintains a very militaristic feel.

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

oh tom, what do you know about militaristic?

i dont mind it, wouldnt wear it (prefer the 6b bogart pic), and do also suspect that withouth RLPL on it, there may be some different feedback.

17. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Michael Irvin, too.

Oh wait- it's not gold or orange.

18. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I think it's great. I'd have the pockets stitched in, but otherwise it's a great, classic, and very unique style. I think this is the only kind of RTW DB I could get away with. The key to sitting, I suspect, is very long double vents. You leave the top two buttons done and simply unbutton the third...

19. Kai

Kai Senior member

DBs should be cut so that they can remain buttoned while allowing for comfortable sitting.

Absolutely true.

And, I think the 8 button DB suit that is the subject of this thread is somewhat ridiculous looking.

Ralph Lauren has a habit of "tweaking" the classics. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think he missed his mark on this tweak.