8 Button Front Flannel Purple Label Pinstripe Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

I have no idea where you could wear this other than socially at a club, but it is interesting.
    [​IMG]

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Reminds me of a similar coat worn in Dorian Gray 1945. To the modern sensibility, they look like straitjackets.

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

It's very severe. In a good way.

I think it would look amazing on a slim person who is in peak physical condition. There's a very rigid, formulated, military look about the suit.

I really like it, but it would be hard to pull off.

Definitely not a business suit, unless you own the corporation.

4. Cuff Link

Cuff Link Well-Known Member

How would one ever sit in that jacket? Aren't DB coats supposed to remain buttoned?

Cuff

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

It's very severe. In a good way.

I think it would look amazing on a slim person who is in peak physical condition. There's a very rigid, formulated, military look about the suit.

I really like it, but it would be hard to pull off.

Definitely not a business suit, unless you own the corporation.

----It's cool and hip, I think it could go smashing at a late night high end lounge. Other than that, it's appropriateness is seriously in question, but its hip.

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

----It's cool and hip, I think it could go smashing at a late night high end lounge. Other than that, it's appropriateness is seriously in question, but its hip.
    Is this in the same sense that wearing a black suit with a silver tie and a spread color shirt as a "tuxedo" is hip?

I can't help but wonder how different the reactions to this would be were it not introduced as RLPL.

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

If one is going for the military look, I say go all the way with a navy style frock coat. Nicer versions of what D&G have been turning out.

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

Is this in the same sense that wearing a black suit with a silver tie and a spread color shirt as a "tuxedo" is hip?

I can't help but wonder how different the reactions to this would be were it not introduced as RLPL.

---- No, I never said to wear a black suit with a silver tie, and "tuxedo". Sorry wrong guy.

I did say if one is to choose to wear a strong beaded white pinstripe on black (which I don't own) that a silver tie with a silver/white hued shirt may be a better look than a red tie/pocket square. I have no idea what you are referring to "a spread collar as a 'tuxedo' is hip. This suit, if is is to be worn at all, is strictly for ultra big city suited fashion lounges cafe's like a Moda or Victor Hotel late night club. I personally wouldn't wear it, but I can see some more adventerous individuals venturing out in it for this audience only. It's more an artistic suit, its obviosus as I've already stated not a practical suit.

9. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Yeah! But is it one of things that looks good on the mannequin, then you put it on and go "what the hell?..."

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I bet Steve Harvey has already placed his order.

11. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

How would one ever sit in that jacket? Aren't DB coats supposed to remain buttoned?
    Cuff

They are supposed to remain buttoned whilst one is standing, but may of course be unbuttoned when seated.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

---- No, I never said to wear a black suit with a silver tie, and "tuxedo". Sorry wrong guy.

I did say if one is to choose to wear a strong beaded white pinstripe on black (which I don't own) that a silver tie with a silver/white hued shirt may be a better look than a red tie/pocket square. I have no idea what you are referring to "a spread collar as a 'tuxedo' is hip. This suit, if is is to be worn at all, is strictly for ultra big city suited fashion lounges cafe's like a Moda or Victor Hotel late night club. I personally wouldn't wear it, but I can see some more adventerous individuals venturing out in it for this audience only.

My implication being that the aforeposted suit was hip in the same way that a faux tuxedo might be. That is, hip through a combination of utter ignorance of the rules (going back to the tux analogy, the black suit and long tie), a certain outre gaudiness (the silver long tie), and an affectation of formality/occaision (the spread collar.)

I wasn't suggesting that you ever said anything about tuxedos at all, I was just pointing out that the rationale for finding a suit like this one hip seems similar to that behind the Hollywood tux.

13. Soph

Soph Senior member

My implication being that the aforeposted suit was hip in the same way that a faux tuxedo might be. That is, hip through a combination of utter ignorance of the rules (going back to the tux analogy, the black suit and long tie), a certain outre gaudiness (the silver long tie), and an affectation of formality/occaision (the spread collar.)

I wasn't suggesting that you ever said anything about tuxedos at all, I was just pointing out that the rationale for finding a suit like this one hip seems similar to that behind the Hollywood tux.

--- I agree to a point, but I find art hip but I wouldn't wear it persay, this is an artistic suit and obviousy not meant to confine itself to a rule. I wouldn't go so far as to say any clothing not made for formal rules is gaudy/ignorant/hollywood or whatever else;. It strictly something to look at like a painting on a wall. As a side note formality, I have a Kiton one button peak lapel tuxedo as I dress according to the event/audience and hopefully good taste. In a trendy club, the rules are changed, and formality is against the law many times.

14. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

DBs should be cut so that they can remain buttoned while allowing for comfortable sitting.

15. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

DBs should be cut so that they can remain buttoned while allowing for comfortable sitting.

Really? I don't ever recall seeing a seated person in a buttoned DB, but then again, I don't see too many DBs either. Mainly in London, but there, many guys walk around with them unbuttoned too, so perhaps not the best place to look for examples of the proper wearing of DBs.

Learned something new...