• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'70s Style.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yves2up0.jpg

I believe Yves Saint Laurent has or had his suits tailored by Rome's Caraceni as well as Paris's Camps Deluca. His double-breasted suits are superbly cut with just the right amount of loucheness, similar to Agnelli's, which makes me think they are Caraceni.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is a seriously serious lapel.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
that is a seriously serious lapel.
My dinner jacket's lapels are almost that breadth. However, I have this mid-'80s Matsuda bolero double-breasted jacket with lapels like that.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'm sorry, '70s and style in the same sentence do not compute.
Please enter in a valid command: _

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I'm sorry, '70s and style in the same sentence do not compute. Please enter in a valid command: _
There was plenty of style in the '70s.
wa434335.jpg
halston.jpg
legros.jpg
donawp2.jpg
andy.jpg
ahelnew173_small.jpg
Dali.jpg
Also, the unconsciously stylish photographs of Guy Bourdin were taken in the '70s.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I can't say I like any of that.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
How many men, particularly in rock music, could wear that -- with a shawl collar, no less -- without either looking like a caricature of themselves or some low-rent lounge singer?

I remember the 70s quite distinctly. There are an equal number of abominations now as there were then. In retrospect, it seems that the 70s variety of hideous clothing had a more distinctive character, though that may just be the effect of nostalgia.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I can't say I like any of that.

No style?

The 80s, 90s, the present - sure.

The 70s were the last time men had something interesting to say, stylistically. Granted it was often not pretty, but the landscape today is boring. Outlandishness and flair were defeated by a stifling alliance of overly-democratic roughness, bourgeois obsession with understatement and taste, and the uniform of professionalism.

"Style" has become somewhat square.

pejsek

Reaction score
I had nearly completely forgotten about Ilie Nastase.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
yves2up0.jpg

I believe Yves Saint Laurent has or had his suits tailored by Rome's Caraceni as well as Paris's Camps Deluca. His double-breasted suits are superbly cut with just the right amount of loucheness, similar to Agnelli's, which makes me think they are Caraceni.

Labelking, do you have any more interesting pictures like this of Yves Saint Laurent?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Labelking, do you have any more interesting pictures like this of Yves Saint Laurent?
Here are just a few of the more I have:
ysl1.jpg
ysl2.jpg
ysl3.jpg
Look at the cut of those trousers. Yves Saint Laurent was a real style maven, much more preferable than Lagerfeld who went through fashion phases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 69 36.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 72 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 33 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads