1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

'70s Style.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Sep 20, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

I believe Yves Saint Laurent has or had his suits tailored by Rome's Caraceni as well as Paris's Camps Deluca. His double-breasted suits are superbly cut with just the right amount of loucheness, similar to Agnelli's, which makes me think they are Caraceni.

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

that is a seriously serious lapel.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

that is a seriously serious lapel.
    My dinner jacket's lapels are almost that breadth. However, I have this mid-'80s Matsuda bolero double-breasted jacket with lapels like that.

4. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I'm sorry, '70s and style in the same sentence do not compute.
    Please enter in a valid command: _

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'm sorry, '70s and style in the same sentence do not compute. Please enter in a valid command: _
    There was plenty of style in the '70s. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Also, the unconsciously stylish photographs of Guy Bourdin were taken in the '70s.

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

There was plenty of style in the '70s.

Bryan Ferry.

'Nuf said.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Bryan Ferry.

'Nuf said.

Ah, how can one forget:

[​IMG]

8. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I can't say I like any of that.

9. Nantucket Red

How many men, particularly in rock music, could wear that -- with a shawl collar, no less -- without either looking like a caricature of themselves or some low-rent lounge singer?

I remember the 70s quite distinctly. There are an equal number of abominations now as there were then. In retrospect, it seems that the 70s variety of hideous clothing had a more distinctive character, though that may just be the effect of nostalgia.

10. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

No style?

The 80s, 90s, the present - sure.

The 70s were the last time men had something interesting to say, stylistically. Granted it was often not pretty, but the landscape today is boring. Outlandishness and flair were defeated by a stifling alliance of overly-democratic roughness, bourgeois obsession with understatement and taste, and the uniform of professionalism.

"Style" has become somewhat square.

11. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I had nearly completely forgotten about Ilie Nastase.

12. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

[​IMG]

I believe Yves Saint Laurent has or had his suits tailored by Rome's Caraceni as well as Paris's Camps Deluca. His double-breasted suits are superbly cut with just the right amount of loucheness, similar to Agnelli's, which makes me think they are Caraceni.

Labelking, do you have any more interesting pictures like this of Yves Saint Laurent?

13. Nantucket Red

Liking it is beside the point.

Take notes.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Labelking, do you have any more interesting pictures like this of Yves Saint Laurent?
    Here are just a few of the more I have: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Look at the cut of those trousers. Yves Saint Laurent was a real style maven, much more preferable than Lagerfeld who went through fashion phases.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Another fashionable person of the '70s decade was Rudolf Nureyev: [​IMG] Group photo: [​IMG] [​IMG] French pop star, Antoine, and Dali

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]
    Possibly the one time where an attached wing collar can not only be condoned but put as an exemplar.

17. Nantucket Red

Another fashionable person of the '70s decade was Rudolf Nureyev:

I always admired Nureyev a great deal for his flamboyant but always tasteful style. He achieved a commanding presence even in photographs.

18. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Your opinion doesn't matter.
    Edited for clarity. [​IMG]

19. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Every decade has its style. It's up to the individual, to understand how to make what's current, suitable and wearable. At age 51, I've stopped caring too much about what's on the street, although it's fun to watch young people experiment. I've never gone after trends, but to a degree, all of us are affected by them.

So far as the 70's are concerned, menswear from that period may look a little bit tacky these days, but so does much of what's available at this moment, in some fine department stores. I won't wear trousers with a low rise, so I just wear my old ones . . . my sister certainly has no use for most of what's out in the stores, now. She wears her vintage Saint Laurent.

So far as women's wear, the 70'S included the Ballets Russes collection, from Yves Saint Laurent . . . his favorite collection, of all that he produced. It was slightly 'mad,' but some of what Saint Laurent showed during that historic presentation, became classic for all time. Shawls, boots, headwraps, vests worn over dropped waists, hair ornaments; coruscating color combinations have been tinkered with, ever since. The 'rich peasant' is a perverse, eternally relevant look whose elements, either piece by piece or as a whole, will always appeal to women.
    babygreenspots . . . I curated an exhibtion of vintage Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, garments . . . if you'd like to see my album, send me a private message. I'll send it to you.

20. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

[​IMG]

Isn't that a 60s photo from the Factory era?