• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

70's style powder blue tux

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
Are you going to help with the original question or judge? I clearly don't care about your opinion, so kindly help or exit.
You thought you'd get a different response? You thought guys were keeping their eyes out for a source for high-quality powder-blue tuxedoes? At a guess, you are looking at thrift stores, cheap-o novelty items or bespoke.

Considering the general populace's lackluster interest in adhering to prober black tie (hey, most rented tuxes are notch lapel!!) you could probably pull this off in the right crowd. But I'd say it'd have to be impecably tailored, so the novelty stuff is out ... so bespoke unless you strike it lucky in the thrift stores.
What shoe choice though? Normal black tuxedo shoes?

White bucks.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you've got to be pretty outgoing at these parties and sustain it, like, you got to be sort of a somewhat life of a party in a few circles at these things if you know what i mean.

cuz if youre not, you'll perhaps turn a few heads, get a few chuckles, and will be left standing in a ridiculous suit for the rest of the party and will get old within minutes fast. basically, youre attitude and personality will have to upkeep and keep the gag running.

... Rodney ... Dangerfield!
bounce2.gif

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you've got to be pretty outgoing at these parties and sustain it, like, you got to be sort of a somewhat life of a party in a few circles at these things if you know what i mean.

cuz if youre not, you'll perhaps turn a few heads, get a few chuckles, and will be left standing in a ridiculous suit for the rest of the party and will get old within minutes fast. basically, youre attitude and personality will have to upkeep and keep the gag running.

I am a pretty outgoing guy and the people who attend these events are party of my social circle for the most part, which is why I think this is doable.

to Tarmac re. "No way. Not hilarious enough. Get Bruno Magli Burnished Emerald Blue Chelsea Wingtips with the Racer Sole. on amazon"

Link to what these shoes look like?

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
You thought you'd get a different response? You thought guys were keeping their eyes out for a source for high-quality powder-blue tuxedoes? At a guess, you are looking at thrift stores, cheap-o novelty items or bespoke.

Considering the general populace's lackluster interest in adhering to prober black tie (hey, most rented tuxes are notch lapel!!) you could probably pull this off in the right crowd. But I'd say it'd have to be impecably tailored, so the novelty stuff is out ... so bespoke unless you strike it lucky in the thrift stores.

White bucks.

Would I be a bad person for wasting $8-900 on a custom made blue tux given the financial crisis?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would I be a bad person for wasting $8-900 on a custom made blue tux given the financial crisis?

No, just a dumb one.

Can you afford it? If so, go ahead and stimulate the economy. Then post pics, lots of them.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only if you are having a financial crisis.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Only if you are having a financial crisis.
I can afford it, but I would like to avoid conspicuous, wasteful consumption so as not to look like a jerk. I suppose I could always tell people I found it at a thrift store and it was a lucky pickup.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can afford it, but I would like to avoid conspicuous, wasteful consumption so as not to look like a jerk. I suppose I could always tell people I found it at a thrift store and it was a lucky pickup.

You're going to lie about something you're willing to spend nearly a grand on? Obviously you don't need and don't really want this thing.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
You're going to lie about something you're willing to spend nearly a grand on? Obviously you don't need and don't really want this thing.

It's not lying, just sparing people's feelings. When people are losing everything it doesn't feel right to mention that I wasted a grand on a lark. What does it matter if they think it came from a thrift store so long as it looks good?

videocrew

Reaction score
I have never, not once in my life I don't think, been asked "hey, nice __________, how much did that run you?" Even those are the kind of people you hang out with, you might actually be able to get by with a powder blue tux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics