• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

700$ Canali shoes falling apart on first day of use?

nickryukoz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some help from this community online as I didn't know where else to turn.
Can someone give some advice on what to do in this situation?

I just bought at pair of Canali shoes that cost around $700 online from Farfetch, and after wearing them for just a couple of hours the bottom of the shoes skin started peeling and exposes the material underneath.
Any Italian shoe expert, anyone with experience with Canali shoes please tell me what is going on. I have reached out to Farfetch customer support and Canali.

Attachments

• canali shoes fucked up.jpg
    canali shoes fucked up.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 182

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some help from this community online as I didn't know where else to turn.

I just bought at pair of Canali shoes that cost around $700 online from Farfetch, and after wearing them for just a couple of hours the bottom of the shoes skin started peeling and exposes the material underneath.
Any Italian shoe expert, anyone with experience with Canali shoes please tell me what is going on. I have reached out to Farfetch customer support and Canali.

Did you get them wet? You do realize as you wear leather soled shoes the color is going to come off and expose the leather, right? I agree the way the finish is peeling looks poor, but I don't know anything about the brand personally. I don't see stitching on the bottom, but I can't tell from the pic if they're closed channel or just a glued on sole.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of the brand before either - yes coloring wears on leather soles but it doesn't peel. No quality shoe should ever look like that. Your only recourse is to deal with the customer service of the 2 companies - you need a refund and I would never advise buying that brand again. QC is one thing - a botched stitch or even scarring on the leather. But whatever cheap process they have for applying whatever that coating is on the soles isn't a quality process.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also looked at that Farfetch site - the only Canali shoes they have listed are tennis shoes. Don't really see much in a google search on the brand. How was it you came to choose those shoes? Were they discounted?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canali is a once-somewhat-vaunted name in Italian RTW.

They have seen significant degeneration over the last twenty years as they have transitioned from a family run company to a schlocky purveyor of mass market faux-high end crap.

Heavily invested in the Chinese marketplace. Can find their stuff at like Nordstrom Rack at the like with fair regularity.

Farfetch is a horrible ripoff in general. I would suggest not shopping there. Their prices usually aren't even particularly good.

If you need to use an aggregator, I would suggest Mr. Porter or The Rake.

In general I would also counsel against Italian "fashion shoes" unless you really want blingy fashion shoes. For 700 you could have bought mainline C+J direct from C+J (or less from pediwear) and you would have a quality product.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure reaching out to Canali will do much good as it’s highly unlikely they are in anyway involved in the actual manufacturing.

The shoe is not falling apart. The applied color layer is. The integrity of the soles have not been compromised, at least from the pics provided.

Nevertheless ugly, but not fatal.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No quality shoe should EVER look like that. Leather sole colours do rub away from abrasion with the street surface, but this is extreme.

I would take these shoes back immediately. You got ripped off for 700 dollars.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real concern here is that those sold for $700!

I’m not familiar with Farfetch. Is this is supposed to be a discounted price?

Gerry

Reaction score
What would bother me is how quickly this happened. I have seen something similar with my shoes, the color does wear off the soles and but typically starts in the middle of the sole and works out slowly and edges of Heel, but it takes going out in wet conditions pretty regularly for that type of wear to become apparent, were you out in particularly wet weather. Also it looks like your soles and heels werecovered with something akin to gold leaf not dye. I would ask for and expect a refund, $700 is no joke. Below is pic of wear of my shoes after several outings in the wet.

Attachments

• Alden Bal.JPG
    Alden Bal.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 323

jts287

Reaction score
...Farfetch is a horrible ripoff in general. I would suggest not shopping there. Their prices usually aren't even particularly good.

If you need to use an aggregator, I would suggest Mr. Porter or The Rake...

Mr. Porter is probably the most expensive place to buy clothes, even when considering dept. stores. There are deals to be had on Farfetch, imo.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Porter is probably the most expensive place to buy clothes, even when considering dept. stores. There are deals to be had on Farfetch, imo.

Mr. Porter and Farfetch aren't even really operating the same way. MP is an ecommerce retailer that is buying, holding, and selling merchandise. FF is a marketplace that is charging the brands and boutiques a service fee.

The trickle down of that is that A) MP has brands they want to curate while FF does not because the brand doesn't want to give up a sales commission to FF. (Drakes of London seems to fit this category). And from what I've seen (granted I don't have tracked data to corroborate on every sale), MP goods go on sale in a way they control and go deeper.

I would also argue that MP is more Sartorial while FF is more Designer. Make your own choices about which you value - imo most of the most famous designer label stuff is trash.

As an example of the above: Drakes, Rubinnaci, Turnbull and Asser, Corgi, Pantharella, Deacon and Francis, Floris. All being carried by MP but not FF.

jts287

Reaction score
Mr. Porter and Farfetch aren't even really operating the same way. MP is an ecommerce retailer that is buying, holding, and selling merchandise. FF is a marketplace that is charging the brands and boutiques a service fee.

The trickle down of that is that A) MP has brands they want to curate while FF does not because the brand doesn't want to give up a sales commission to FF. (Drakes of London seems to fit this category). And from what I've seen (granted I don't have tracked data to corroborate on every sale), MP goods go on sale in a way they control and go deeper.

I would also argue that MP is more Sartorial while FF is more Designer. Make your own choices about which you value - imo most of the most famous designer label stuff is trash.

As an example of the above: Drakes, Rubinnaci, Turnbull and Asser, Corgi, Pantharella, Deacon and Francis, Floris. All being carried by MP but not FF.

Oh agreed, I've only bought a few things from Farfetch and I believe the most recent came from a boutique in Portugal. It seems like a good way for smallish, independent shops to shed inventory.

Personally, there's zero impetus to shop on MP when the prices are no different than saks.com or from the makers' sites. Yoox, on the other hand...

nickryukoz

Reaction score

Thanks for the replies everyone. I got in touch with Canali directly and this is what they had to say:

Farfetch is saying a return is not possible since I wore them once.
Any further advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200220-230638_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200220-230638_Gmail.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 316

Bespoke Barrister

Reaction score
I hate to go advise this, but contact your credit card company and complain that you were sold defective merchandise and the retailer will not accept a return. How else could you figure out if the shoes were defective without wearing them?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A crappy shoe is not necessarily a defective shoe. The shoe is not defective. A perfect turd is still a turd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads