1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

7 spending tips from Frugal Billionaires

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holstein Bilter, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

A billionaire should surely spend as they please, however wouldn't it be a better investment to purchase well made garments? One would think the inherent value of quality, aesthetics, and longevity would outweigh inferior, cheaper pieces.

It could be that the time required to research sartorial endeavors (or the money required to have someone do it for you) does not entice them enough to move it up on their list of priorities. While my priorities have not netted me a billion dollars, I do find it a bit disheartening to find the advocacy of such frugality in an area of one's life that so drastically impacts the way the entire world perceives you on a daily basis.

2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Not a surprise. On a related note the cat that wrote The Millionaire Next Door reports that the average millionaire's car costs about $31,000 while the average deca-millionaire's car costs $38,000. That means all them BMWs and Benzes...people likely pretending to be rich.

So it's not a leap to imagine the average millionaire and billionaire doesn't spend a lot of money on clothes.

IIRC most of the BMWs sold in Europe are 320D. It's basically an economy company car. The pricing is set so it gets a full tax write off. It uses almost no fuel (The latest version is almost 70mpg combined. Even higher highway) If you keep it the normal 1 to 2 years it's only a couple of oil changes at most for service. The trade in value is fairly high.

So it's a pretty simple buy for the company accountants. Audi makes a similar car. So does Mercedes.

3. CMD.EXE

CMD.EXE Senior member

The only time you really see people dress in expensive clothing is when everyone in the company is well paid, ie finance, law, and other professional services.

The owner of say, a cookie factory, is a millionaire but the average employee wears jeans and a t-shirt. A polo shirt, khakis, and loafers are enough to establish his position in the company.

4. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

What we nobodies fail to understand is that wealthy people can afford to dress like crap, while working class folks usually cannot if they have any desire to ascend their economic status. If you want to be a bus boy for the rest of your life, dress like one....

5. laufer

laufer Senior member

What we nobodies fail to understand is that wealthy people can afford to dress like crap, while working class folks usually cannot if they have any desire to ascend their economic status. If you want to be a bus boy for the rest of your life, dress like one....

+1

Word of reason finally. Imagine trying to make it on Wall Street in suits made by JC Penney.

6. laufer

laufer Senior member

Well, happy Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you. She is not paintbrushed. I like Au Naturel.

7. PoundSand

PoundSand Well-Known Member

IIRC most of the BMWs sold in Europe are 320D. It's basically an economy company car. The pricing is set so it gets a full tax write off. It uses almost no fuel (The latest version is almost 70mpg combined. Even higher highway) If you keep it the normal 1 to 2 years it's only a couple of oil changes at most for service. The trade in value is fairly high.

it's almost 70mpg imperial, for those who don't know- about 57mpg in american gallons. obviously still good. ;D

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

This is a great thread to learn it's like to be a billionaire, and these seven tips are things that you can put into practice in your own life to be on the way to becoming a billionaire yourself.

Good read.

[​IMG]

- B

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've actually met a half dozen or so billionaires and all them buy nice clothes. Unpresentative sample, I am sure.

10. voxsartoria

To be completely fair, dressing well seems to peak at the $250M in inherited money point, but only one of those guys posts here.

- B

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

To be completely fair, dressing well seems to peak at the $250M in inherited money point, but only one of those guys posts here.

- B

He is Matt??

12. forex

forex Senior member

He is Matt??

My money is on Vox[​IMG]

13. voxsartoria

He is Matt??

No.

[​IMG]

Rhodium ingots in the the portable closet come to more than that.

- B

14. voxsartoria

My money is on Vox[​IMG]

No. I do not believe in money.

Poo and I gave away our inherited dough. Put on your thinking caps, people.

- B

15. SkinnyGoomba

Well I'm sure whoever it is will turn up to post in this thread eventually. [​IMG] You know, for the spending tips.

16. voxsartoria

Well I'm sure whoever it is will turn up to post in this thread eventually. [​IMG]

This thread is about billionaires. I'm talking $250Millionaire, where you still have to dress well to hail a cab or afford a porter at the aiport.

- B

17. SkinnyGoomba

18. forex

forex Senior member

Vox,you are like a gossip girl, keep dossier and tab on everyone.

19. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

what is that thing on the floor behind iammatt?

20. SkinnyGoomba

what is that thing on the floor behind iammatt?

Extra large pasta strainer, two of them actually.