• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"7 Medical Myths Even Doctors Believe"

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
the ****?

It's been a well established tenant of neo-natal medicine for like... decades... that breastfeeding is the optimal way to raise an infant.

Doctor's offices are inundated with pamphlets and other advertising **** from formula companies, they have a ridiculous amount of money and can sway the weak minded! You'd be amazed at how many doctors think that breast feeding is "weird" and that formula is just as healthy.

Also, milk is not good for your bones.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Doctor's offices are inundated with pamphlets and other advertising **** from formula companies, they have a ridiculous amount of money and can sway the weak minded! You'd be amazed at how many doctors think that breast feeding is "weird" and that formula is just as healthy.

Where are you getting this information?

You also do realize that prescribing meds isn't the sum total of what doctors do, right?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You also do realize that prescribing meds isn't the sum total of what doctors do, right?

It ain't?

Shoot, then why pay all that money for all that schooling?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
It ain't?

Shoot, then why pay all that money for all that schooling?

Doctors examine, perform any number of procedures including surgery, and have many ways of treating patients without prescribing meds. Many of the medications they prescribe have been in existence for decades and are not new fangled things pushed by any Rx rep.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Another one is that antibiotics are negatively impacted by drinking alcohol. Army doctors wanted to keep soldiers with VD out of the brothels until they had completed their course of antibiotics so they would not reinfect the prostitutes and thus infect other soldiers, so they told them no drinking, and most doctors still say you should not drink while you are on antibiotics.

tinfoil.gif
tinfoil.gif
tinfoil.gif

Alcohol can decrease the effectiveness of some antibiotics e.g. doxycycline.

You can also get negative reactions from certain specific antibiotics such as metronidazole i.e. Flagyl which creates an effect similar to the anti-alcohol drug Antabuse causing severe nausea and vomiting.

Finally, there can be some depression of your immune system while drinking (although I'm not sure if this is the case with just one or two and I'm inclined to think that it isn't) and if you're already fighting off an infection, you don't really want that.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
tinfoil.gif
tinfoil.gif
tinfoil.gif

Alcohol can decrease the effectiveness of some antibiotics e.g. doxycycline.

You can also get negative reactions from certain specific antibiotics such as metronidazole i.e. Flagyl which creates an effect similar to the anti-alcohol drug Antabuse causing severe nausea and vomiting.

Finally, there can be some depression of your immune system while drinking (although I'm not sure if this is the case with just one or two and I'm inclined to think that it isn't) and if you're already fighting off an infection, you don't really want that.

What the **** jumbie?? Why are you citing science man!!! You're just in the pocket of some slick drug rep who brings you Quiznos for lunch every thursday.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're just in the pocket of some slick drug rep who brings you Quiznos for lunch every thursday.

As of 2009, those MFers can't give us pens any more and we only get Subway.
frown.gif

I knew I should have gone to dental school.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i always wondered about the advice not to drink sodas or sparkling water because the carbonic acid creates an acidic environment in your stomach inducive to creating cancer from what i hear.

i dont believe it because our stomachs already contain HCL which has a very low pH in the first place but im not sure of all the dynamics and context that goes into that in the stomach to really know if the above is a myth or not.

I think it's correct that the acids in sodas have a negligible effect on stomach pH, since it's already very low (even though Coke contains a small amount of phosphoric acid, it also has a minimal effect). The sugar in sodas probably causes your stomach to drop a load of acid into your stomach to begin digestion, though.

I'm more concerned about the effect of sodas on my teeth. Surprisingly, the worst for promoting tooth decay are artificial lemonades and iced teas. I don't understand why.

Disclaimer: I'm a professional chemist , not a medical doctor or biologist, and have no special insights into what happens in the stomach, mine or anyone else's.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178

More importantly, where do you live Hamish? This doesn't jibe with anything I've ever seen or heard from doctors.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
More importantly, where do you live Hamish? This doesn't jibe with anything I've ever seen or heard from doctors.

I think a little of what Hamish was saying is over the top, but they do get a lot of free material (pamphlets, formula samples, etc) from formula companies and a lot of doctor breastfeeding knowledge isn't that great.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I think a little of what Hamish was saying is over the top, but they do get a lot of free material (pamphlets, formula samples, etc) from formula companies and a lot of doctor breastfeeding knowledge isn't that great.

You're basing this on what exactly? I mean, I'm not quite a doctor yet and I was taught a shitload about breastfeeding.

I've also never seen a doctor tell a woman to use formula rather than breast milk unless there is a medical reason for it e.g. she is HIV+.

Breast feeding is encouraged in my experience. One of the main reasons is, as already mentioned, passive immunity and there are others as well such as it can help the mother lose some of the weight she gained during pregnancy, there is evidence that children who are breast fed are more intelligent and less picky eaters, and so on.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've met a lot of pediatricians, and I've never heard one say that formula is better.

Astan

Reaction score
My dad is a doctor and he told me the 8 glasses thing is BS and that you should drink as much as you are thristy. After all too much water can lead to low sodium and even water poisoning which can cause death.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads