• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7 fold tie worth it

ogduncan

Reaction score
Is it worth it to buy a 7 fold tie. Can you see the difference do they tie better or is it just to be able to know you have the best money can buy.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, a 7-fold tie is a luxury. Luxury by defintion (or at least my definition), is very nice stuff that one does not need.

A 7-fold tie, by nature of being thicker, will knot a bigger/fatter knot. some like it, some don't. Some people wear expensive stuff just so they can "know" that they have expensive stuff. Notice I did not equate expensive with "best". I figure, if it's your money, I don't care if you burn it, flush it down the toilet, light a cigar with it, or buy a 7-fold tie.

If it's my money, I would not spend it on a 7-fold. Most market ready 7-folds are
4" across the front blade, which is too wide for me.

Oh, and if you are buying a 7-fold to impress people, keep in mind that very, very few people can tell a 7-fold that is being worn, unless you tell them this a a tie made with a whole piece of silk and cost $$$$, and in that case making the person a douche-bag.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy something just because it's this or that. I will first look at a tie for pattern, then quality of the silk. You can find very nice hefty ties that are not 7-fold or not any of the brands that are known here. If the price is right, and I love the pattern and feel of the silk, I'll buy the tie (I will only avoid a particular brand if it's gotten bad reviews, i.e. that brand is known to fall apart easily, etc.).

It being 7 fold is secondary. A 7 fold has more workmanship in it and does not come off an assembly line like most ties do, so if that is worth paying a premium for, that is a personal choice, and a luxury that you should indulge in if it makes you happy and it's within your means.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
It is a luxury but if you are like me and wear a tie only a few days a week then it can be worth it, if only for special occasions. I have about a dozen Kiton 7 folds and they knot and feel very nice.

I would suggest looking for Massimo Bizzochi for tasteful ties that are well made but less expensive than a 7 fold $125-140. Talbott makes a nice tie for a bit less a lot of their patterns are too bold for my tastes.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sevenfold ties can come either lined or unlined, and this affects their thickness. A lined sevenfold will be quite thick and tie a thick knot. An unlined sevenfold may be thinner than a regularly-constructed tie with a wool lining. The appeal of sevenfolds is the more artisanal nature of their construction--a sort of purity or link with past tie-making techniques. To many this is important, as it's not just the outward appearance of something that is important to these people. The same could be said about buying hand-made shoes like Vass or Saint Crispin as opposed to machine-made (like EG or C&J), in that to 99.99% of observers the latter will look just as nice as the hand-made--in precisely the same way that a conventionally-constructed tie can look just as good as a sevenfold. I agree with others who say that one is better off choosing a tie for its (a) color, (b) pattern, (c) quality of silk, and (d) quality of construction than for its mode of construction (sevenfold, threefold, fivefold, conventional).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dislike the lined 7-fold ties like Kiton and Borrelli not because they are not nicely made and from lovely silk, but because I think the idea of taking relatively heavy silk, giving it a reasonably thick lining, tipping it and then folding it six times makes a tie that appears almost burdensome and a knot that cannot help but be too bulbous.

Many, perhaps most, of my ties are 7-fold, but they are of the unlined variety so they make a knot that is often smaller than a standard tie and have a nice drape to them. I find them to be more interesting than the other styles, but like many interesting things, they are often quite imperfect and never crisp, so that should be kept in mind as well.

I second the Bizzocchi ties. I think they are quite nice even if I do not really like woven silks in general.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
A 7-fold tie, by nature of being thicker, will knot a bigger/fatter knot. some like it, some don't.

A standard three fold with a hefty lining will generally be thicker than the average seven fold (which normally has an interlining of medium thickness).

Seven folds do tend to make a perfect dimple which I like.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Matt and I tend to like the same fabrics and then take them in opposite directions.

I think unlined seven folds make crappy neckties for a variety of reasons that I won't re-hash here. Most of my ties are bespoke double sixfolds with a light lining. They tie a mid-sized knot that fits tab collars as well as cutaways, they don't wrinkle and they drape beautifully.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ogduncan
Is it worth it to buy a 7 fold tie. Can you see the difference do they tie better or is it just to be able to know you have the best money can buy.

I can tell and see the difference when I am wearing one, an unlined seven fold is my fav. I have lined sevens and mto six folds (lined as well), but nothing looks and ties as nice as a quality made unlined seven to me.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Many, perhaps most, of my ties are 7-fold, but they are of the unlined variety so they make a knot that is often smaller than a standard tie and have a nice drape to them.
Unlined ties are flimsy.
devil.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Unlined ties are flimsy.
devil.gif

have you ever seen one? also, I am on record many times as liking ties that others would consider flimsy. I do not like a baseball beneath my chin.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
have you ever seen one?

also, I am on record many times as liking ties that others would consider flimsy. I do not like a baseball beneath my chin.

I've seen several Talbotts but admittedly they might not represent the breed best.

I'm just giving you grief. I like the unlined ones as well however the double fourfold Kitons match a spread collar shirt beautifully.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen several Talbotts but admittedly they might not represent the breed best.

Talbott seven's, which are unlined, are far from flimsy. They will have more body than the standard Bizzochi ties you recommended. I can understand if Matt doesn't like the Talbott's if he prefers a thinner tie knot actually.

Btw Matt, what sevens do you like? AM?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
They will have more body than the standard Bizzochi ties you recommended.
I politely differ. The Bizzocchi ties are more substantial. I did not actually say the Talbotts were flimsy however and I was just giving Matt some friendly grief.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I politely differ. The Bizzocchi ties are more substantial. I did not actually say the Talbotts were flimsy however and I was just giving Matt some friendly grief.
I have a drawer full of ties 5 feet away, the Talbott's are about twice as thick as two recent Bizzochi ties I have. Maybe I have some pics to share as an example... Edit: All RT seven fold here (from older waywt photos) Look at the size of teh knot and roll of the dimples, tons of body. I can actually see Matt not liking these they are so thick.
waywt021.jpg
waywt011-2.jpg
waywt005-7.jpg
waywt004-6.jpg
waywt005-10.jpg
Here is a Bizzochi, not as thick
waywt006.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads