• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

6th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Jan 2nd we should start discussing the annual shaming of the miscreants who signed up and failed to deliver. Plus their banning from next years Thriftmas exchange. I think the proper method is Hans and Doc reach out privately and ensure that everybody has at least shipped. Anyone who hasn't should be publicly humiliated and perhaps even flogged.

shame-gif-1465520937.gif

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think Jan 2nd we should start discussing the annual shaming of the miscreants who signed up and failed to deliver. Plus their banning from next years Thriftmas exchange. I think the proper method is Hans and Doc reach out privately and ensure that everybody has at least shipped. Anyone who hasn't should be publicly humiliated and perhaps even flogged.

View attachment 898160

I wish I could predict those that are going to drop the ball. It seems as though we have one per year, sometimes active members that just drop off. This year, it seems like a good number had to ship a bit late, so I'm hopeful that most, if not all, will receive something soon. I sent a few PMs to people that will be expecting things, so we'll see more gifts come through.

If someone doesn't receive something by 1 January, I'm happy to turn over the username and allow them to get in touch!

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When should we contact our recipient and spoil the surprise? I shipped mine Priority on December 4th and it still hasn't arrived.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When should we contact our recipient and spoil the surprise? I shipped mine Priority on December 4th and it still hasn't arrived.

I'd say it's up to you. If you sent it domestically, I'd definitely be worried. Internationally, and I wouldn't be too worried yet, but that's just me.

I'm one that hasn't received something, but I'm not concerned. They're still catching up on packages, and I see all of the temporary drivers in rented vehicles at DHL. I'm sure other places are like Austria in that it was a holiday through the 26th and therefore no mail.

If you're concerned, or tracking shows a potential problem, feel free to reach out to your guy.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
shaming those that didn't post seems to be ok this year. as is complaining daily until yours arrives.

never was appropriate in previous years.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Seriously, does every of your posts have to be harping on your dislike of @SpooPoker ?

I was referring to previous years when such things were frowned on.
we waited patiently. and when i didn't get mine? i was burned for making a fuss about it.
to this day, i still don't know who didn't send me. the hosts told me that it would be wrong to give user names of senders.
(which i now understand and agree, it's unethical. and defeats the purpose of a Secret Santa. )
and was told that complaining was bad form. ( i at least waited)

should things be different this year?

i really don't care if it's Spoo, and it's not just him. i think it's rude to somehow shame your sender before knowing what happened. or while your items could be in transit.

This is supposed to be about sharing gifts, not calling for the shaming of senders before the end of the year. some people didn't send until even a week ago. What if someone was shamed as a no-show, but was in hospital? or had some other issue, and was unable to defend their good name?

i still grimace when i imagine a sender seeing their Thriftmasee complain daily about their box not arriving yet. and the sender, who had hoped to make somebody happy.
waiting patiently feeling bummed out..:confused2:

but if you want to make this about Spoo,(and my supposed dislike of him) for thumbs? be my guest.

Last edited:

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great box of thoughtful goodies arrived from @Fueco yesterday!

20171228_072300~3.jpg

Shirts from Barbera and J.Crew (Irish linen!) that will see a lot of use here, Christmas tunes courtesy of AE, and the fall 1997 Patagonia catalog with sticker. Mike, you probably don't know this, but that was the year I went extra nuts with Patagonia; the catalog is open to the page showing the snapT, synchilla jacket AND Glissade jacket that I owned. Great trip down memory lane!

Fueco will also be making a donation to a children's charity, something I appreciate most of all.

Thank you sir and a Merry Thriftmas and Happy New Year to all!

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was referring to previous years when such things were frowned on.
we waited patiently. and when i didn't get mine? i was burned for making a fuss about it.
to this day, i still don't know who didn't send me. the hosts told me that it would be wrong to give user names of senders.
(which i now understand and agree, it's unethical. and defeats the purpose of a Secret Santa. )
and was told that complaining was bad form. ( i at least waited)

should things be different this year?

i really don't care if it's Spoo, and it's not just him. i think it's rude to somehow shame your sender before knowing what happened. or while your items could be in transit.

This is supposed to be about sharing gifts, not calling for the shaming of senders before the end of the year. some people didn't send until even a week ago. What if someone was shamed as a no-show, but was in hospital? or had some other issue, and was unable to defend their good name?

i still grimace when i imagine a sender seeing their Thriftmasee complain daily about their box not arriving yet. and the sender, who had hoped to make somebody happy.
waiting patiently feeling bummed out..:confused2:

but if you want to make this about Spoo,(and my supposed dislike of him) for thumbs? be my guest.

I believe everyone is having a bit of fun with it, not trying to be malicious. In fact, I interpret it to be excited to receive a gift, not anger & resentment at those that sent it.

RE: Your missing gift in 2013.

For starters, I'm willing to give out usernames for no-show gifts, but not personal information (name/address). It's been in the gift exchange description for years. Here it is from the year in question (2013):

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 14.24.15.png

You never reached out to me to resolve it, I reached out to you. In fact, I have a two page PM chat with multiple people that wanted to send you gifts to make up for your lack of gift. Barrelntrigger then said he was going to bring you extra gifts (which he did) the next time you met.

One of the last attempts at communication I had with you about it was that I had asked for permission to pass along your address to people. You never responded.

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 15.13.44.png

Finally, you weren't "burned for making a fuss about it." At the time you mentioned the gift, you were upset about another, separate incident that you had misunderstood. It was a contest, I believe, and you argued with several people about that. It was NOT that you said you hadn't received a gift, it was entirely unrelated.

In fact, I don't think anyone had a negative word to say about you not receiving your gift and, instead, most felt bad.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** now I feel super bad about my gift not arriving.

Shame away, I’ll be the first to shame myself! But ***** sake, it’s not my fault I have had to pay twice to shipping to America, replace one item due to damage and international postage at Christmas doesn’t run smoothly.

Shame me all you want, but I’ve covered the cost of entry to another member and down the above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads