1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

6th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Oct 22, 2017.

1. HansderHund

HansderHund Distinguished Member

If you participated in this year's gift exchange, this thread is a great place to show off your gifts and offer a quick "thanks" to your gift exchange partner!

Here is last year's thread:
    5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling

Last year's donation to The Ronald McDonald House:

1000.jpeg

2. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

This year I'm happy to just participate, but wouldn’t mind some cashmere. I’m happy with jumpers, ties, sport coats etc :smarmy:

Of course purp & Kiton are mandatory.

3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Distinguished Member

My first time. While I've always been a bit of a classic menswear type, I'm retired now, so I don't need suits, ties, business shirts etc. We are coming into summer here, so warm weather stuff would be good. Happy to just be part of the seasonal goodwill really, and to help a worthwhile cause.

My measurements are in my profile.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017

4. stevenkmason

stevenkmason Senior Member

I'm very excited to participate this year.

I'm a big guy so can definitely be tough to find something for. I would appreciate any type of gift and really the efoort and thought that goes into it.

I'm a size 46XL in anything tailored. XLT or XXLT in casual shirts, depending on the fit. 38/40x34 in pants. Can wear anything from a 14E-16D in shoes.

Engineered Garments is my favorite brand and describes my style well. Anything workwear/western style. Woolrich, Pendleton, etc. I also wear tailored jackets occasionally. I don't really ever wear ties.

I'm a hobbyist bootmaker and would love any leatherworking tools if anyone stumbles across them haha.

Once again I'm excited to just to participate and will appreciate anything!

EDIT: I'm gonna have a child in the medium term future so any baby shoes/special clothes would be badass.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017

5. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Senior Member

Just registered and excited to participate!

For the wish list: not much I really need. I've been looking for an authentic bleeding Madras long sleeve shirt in size medium for a while, but that's about it. But honestly, I'd be happy with someone making a donation to a charity focused on education for youth at risk.

All the best!

6. illeagle

illeagle Senior Member

This will be my first time participating. Should be fun!

I'll be happy with whatever I get, but a few notes to help out.

• I like any cool outerwear -- especially military styling or utilitarian (also this kind of styling for casual/street wear).
    • As far as styling of non-casual wear... the Cucinelli aesthetic is my kind of thing. OTR Isaia & Eton fit me perfectly to give an idea of sizing.
    • Fit-wise: dress shoes & boots US 10.5-11D or 10.5E, casual/athletic US 11-12, chest size 46-48, OTR dress shirt size 17-36, waist 40, inseam 32
    • I'm a bit of an audio enthusiast -- educational/interesting books, equipment, whatever it may be... I would enjoy.
    • If there's anything I'm looking for clothes-wise: down vest, cognac/walnut double monk strap plain toe whole cuts or boots, classic Persol eyeglasses (54-~17-145), *cough*Eames lounge*cough*
    • Also, I don't really need clothes as it is, so really anything cool you come across is cool with me. Oh yeah, and IPA's, barrel-aged dark beers, and whisky from near you.
    And please don't think I expect any of this stuff or be determined to look for any particular designer as this info is just to help out.

I might add more to this before names are drawn.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017

7. Dirt

Dirt Distinguished Member

excited to participate again this year. Last year was a blast.

For myself, only the finest and most expensive items will do so please gift to me accordingly.

8. Purplelabel

Will a jar of dirt do?

9. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior Member

10. Dirt

Dirt Distinguished Member

That depends...does Hermes make dirt?

11. Purplelabel

Makes me laugh everytime.

I’d probably still buy it! :laugh:

12. Bahljs

Bahljs Distinguished Member

Always happy to participate. Past few years were great.

-Ties (neat patterns, solids, reps)
    -Vintage sneakers (US 7-7.5)
    -Brown Monk Strap dress shoes (US 6.5 - 7)
    -Anything vintage, any category, any brand in a M/L.
    -Anything Iasia, Loro, all the usual. Just for fun works, too.
    -Profile also has my interests from last year's gift exchange
    -This is generic, I know, but not much fits me OTR.
    -I'm happy with whatever!

I can't wait to see who I get and what this year brings for everyone else.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

13. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior Member

Jar of Dirt sounds like a mixtape brooding teenage me would have made. Strictly the best Alice in Chains cuts.

Anyway most of my clothes don't fit anymore and I can use literally whatever. I tend to wear mostly Ivy-ish "classic American sportswear", workwear, and Japanese reinterpretations of both, but I'm open to trying new things (preemptive TWSS).

15.5-34 dress shirt
    M casual shirt (occasionally L in Japanese brands)
    38-40 jacket (depending on shoulder width)
    32-34 pants waist (depending on rise), 32 inseam
    11-11.5 shoe
    accessories? sure!

on the off chance a Chicago guy pulls me, t-shirts or anything related to Second City/Annoyance/iO or general improv comedy stuff would be amazing.

14. HansderHund

HansderHund Distinguished Member

To whomever may receive me:
    I'm fine with anything, really. It's probably harder to shop for someone that says "anything" than someone with really specific items. In this case, here's a short list to help. PLEASE don't feel obligated to find special brands or multiple pieces. Have fun with it and anything outside of this list is perfectly fine!

Non-clothing:
    I love a great pine scented candle. Really like them. The best ones smell somewhat authentic. TJ/K Maxx has great seasonal candles on the cheap. I almost added "pine-scented candles" twice on accident. That's how much I like them.

Books. I have "Dressing the Man," Ralph Lauren, "A History of Men's Fashion," "The Suit," and about 5-10 others. Books about vintage Polo or Adidas are something I'm missing. Any of the vintage Versace look-books from the '90s. Any other book that you think is interesting.

Chick-fil-A Sauce
    Seriously, I love it. They sell large containers of it for catering at their restaurants.

I have an Airedale Terrier, so I pick up everything related to them (statues, prints, etc.)

Old Christmas decorations

Children's clothing. Seriously, you can substitute any gift for myself for things for my boys. I have two kids under 2 and they're on an opposite size schedule (i.e. my youngest can currently fit the summer hand-me-downs from my older son).

Old Mercedes stuff (keychains, photos, etc.)

Coffee. I don't really drink and booze is heavy to ship.

Clothing:
    I wear ties often. I wear a variety of colors, patterns, and textures. I don't wear geometrics really.

Jeans: I'm a "normal" denim guy. Love RRL, but anything similar would be my thing.

I wear a suit 3-5 days a week. If it's not a suit, it's odd jacket/pants. I could always use something for after work and weekends.

I use scarves/gloves/hats. I like Drakes (who doesn't), Johnstons of Elgin, or anything else for that matter. In scarves, ties and pocket squares, one of my favorite fabric combinations is silk/wool.

I can get away with wearing "loud" patterns.

Shoes are heavy to ship, but I could always use a nice (small) pair of drivers for the summer.

Edited to add:
    I sell stuff. If you're not confident about anything, send me stuff to sell. I'm always happy with that as well.

I hope that helps, but I may add things in another post.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017

15. matty long legs

matty long legs Distinguished Member

I'm pretty darn picky but I'll try to make it easy:

Local to you vegan snacks and beer. F/W scarves. Donation to the Richmond SPCA or Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.