• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

60s era fashion coffee table book

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend in San Diego had this great book and the name escapes me but it was essentially a coffee table book by a japanese artist who traveled to Ivy League schools in the mid to late 60s to shoot the fashion.

The really fantastic thing about it, aside from some stunning work, is that the clothing is so absolutely timeless, a large portion of them could have been off the street yesterday. The looks could easily be inserted into WAYWT and no one would catch it.

The book was called "chasing ivy"...."watching ivy" something like that.

Anyone know what the hell I am rambling aboot? where 2 kop?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
where 2 kop?

ebay, if you have a couple hundred bucks lying around.

If you google 'yearbooks' or 'annuals' or 'campus papers' basically anything collegiate, your query should return some sites with decent scans of the yearbooks/newspapers from various colleges. I am not sure how much of the Ivy League is represented, but I looked through several University of Oklahoma yearbooks from the 20's up the 70's a while back.

also, local libraries tend to have college yearbooks on hand or microfilms of them too.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow that does look interesting. Looks like there's one going on ebay right now, but the price is steep.

There's also this thread here with more info & scans.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
Take Ivy: http://acontinuouslean.com/2008/05/19/take-ivy/
+rep that was quick. I don't think I saw the dude dressed like Gilligan. Sounds like the book is fairly rare. He's a photographer and has tons of books but he didn't make it sound like it was some big deal book. Also it's not related but it's been bugging me for weeks and I forgot to mention it: Lolbook...why would humans use animal baby talk similar to "lolcat" speak? The whole joke as it spawned from the original macros on 4chan and SA was that animals as we see them, speak in baby talk/pigeon english. the joke is lost when juxtapozed with humans. I love the idea, it's just....off. The "lolcat/caturday" speech ruins it. Just constructive crit, not trying to be an ass.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
ebay, if you have a couple hundred bucks lying around.

If you google 'yearbooks' or 'annuals' or 'campus papers' basically anything collegiate, your query should return some sites with decent scans of the yearbooks/newspapers from various colleges. I am not sure how much of the Ivy League is represented, but I looked through several University of Oklahoma yearbooks a while back.

Was the "******/hick/bag of dicks" aesthetic in place back then? [/UT alum]

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
the joke is lost when juxtapozed with humans.

since when were hipsters human?

public.jpg

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry... uhh, what?

I don't speak idiot, i mean texan.

My apologies, should I roll my message into a husk and mail it hoping it doesn't get lost traversing the dusty wasteland between us?

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
since when were hipsters human?

public.jpg

Touche.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
mazda: texas is full of texans it isn't cool, as a matter of fact its awful. If all of the texans in texas ceased to exist texas might be a decent place... but texas is full of texans

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mazda: texas is full of texans it isn't cool, as a matter of fact its awful. If all of the texans in texas ceased to exist texas might be a decent place... but texas is full of assholes,idiots,and former presidents therefore making it only slightly more interesting than say Alabama and Mississippi.

Well Texas is the Reason...

and I expected much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads