• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"60% Cardboard, 40% ***** Meat"

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Man that is so disgusting. Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored with ***** pork and powdered seasoning, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing neighborhood:

Beijing steamed buns include cardboard

"What's in the recipe?" the reporter asks. "Six to four," the man says.

"You mean 60 percent cardboard? What is the other 40 percent?" asks the reporter. "***** meat," the man replies.

The bun maker and his assistants then give a demonstration on how the product is made.

Squares of cardboard picked from the ground are first soaked to a pulp in a plastic basin of caustic soda "” a chemical base commonly used in manufacturing paper and soap "” then chopped into tiny morsels with a cleaver. ***** pork and powdered seasoning are stirred in.

Soon, steaming servings of the buns appear on the screen. The reporter takes a bite.

"This baozi filling is kind of tough. Not much taste," he says. "Can other people taste the difference?"

"Most people can't. It fools the average person," the maker says. "I don't eat them myself."
And here's a Japanese TV report on it.

Man, I eat these steamed pork buns at least once a week before, never knew they have a "secret ingredient" in it.
frown.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man...that's fucked up.
plain.gif

An aside, though, those steamed buns look pretty damn tasty. I'll have to stop by my local shop this weekend for a couple. Yumm!!!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just cellulose. Methylcellulose is used as an emulsifier in a lot of food, including ice cream. And caustic soda is just lye, used in the preparation of all sorts of food.

60% seems awfully high for filler, but it's healthier for you than eating 100% ***** meat.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
It's just cellulose. Methylcellulose is used as an emulsifier in a lot of food, including ice cream. And caustic soda is just lye, used in the preparation of all sorts of food.

60% seems awfully high for filler, but it's healthier for you than eating 100% ***** meat.

Awesome! Give me a dozen of that steam buns.
thumbs-up.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this on the news the day I landed in Tokyo. All I can say is that I nearly ran out of the door of my Condo to grab some nikuman. hahahaha

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everyone seems concerned about the cardboard content. Personally, I'd be much more worried about the identity of the "***** meat".

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Everyone seems concerned about the cardboard content. Personally, I'd be much more worried about the identity of the "***** meat".

lol8[1].gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4

I'm guessing it is from the rats I posted above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads