• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

6 pack thread! reposted yes!

Impulse155

Reaction score
im sure u all remember my thread! well im back. For a little bit of a recollection, last year i weighed in at 208 lbs. Wanted to lost a little(alot actually 30-40 by the summer) i ended at 170s and now im mainting a low 170 high 160 lb diet. Well there was another part of my diet tho. I wanted to get a 6 pack. That part didnt go planned however i did go from having the get to have a couple of cans
smile.gif
. So heres the thing. i have access to a gym 2 days a week, i love to eat fruit, vegetables once and a while. I rarely drink soda, water, green tea iced tea, and milk are all i really drink with the occasional coffee, and soda (parties) Im 16. I have access to a treadmill every single day. And i MIGHT be able to get acess to my bros bowflex once and a while (2 times a week TOPS prolly, might be able to work sumthin with him) At the gym i usually will work out arms one day, chest another with a bit of abs on both days, along with cardio. So, any input, things to incorportate, workout plans etc. AND THE ONLY DAYS I CAN GO TO THE GYM IS FRI. and SAT. hopefully going to get more cardio tho since soccer season is starting
smile.gif

Ott

Reaction score
squats, deadlifts, and diet. Mostly diet- most people could have a 6 pack if they lower their body fat enough.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't make a six pack in the gym. You make it in the kitchen. Start cutting.

Impulse155

Reaction score
yea im trying, i fell into the prey of the valentines chocolate tho ;\\ lol

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you don't have what it takes to get a 6pack.

Impulse155

Reaction score
thanks ******?

minhi

Reaction score
it may seem harsh but knucks is right, to get visible 6 pack abs your body fat needs to be really low, and the only way to get there is to develop the discipline to watch what you eat--and that means everything.

now maybe you just had one piece of chocolate, which i think is fine, but really you have to look at all your calories and not cheat. so that means no soda at all, not some soda sometimes etc. I point out soda because i think it's completely worthless calories, i can let chocolate slide by because it's a treat for some people, but again just a small amount.

I've been working out for about a year, with a high focus on my abs, and while they are stronger, and i can feel them, it doesn't show since my body fat is still in the 15% range (according to my inaccurate tanita, but it gives me a relative number to track). Right now i'm focusing on weight work since it's so cold. Once it warms up i'll switch back to cardio work and refocus my diet to get my body fat down. I think my BF will need to be well under 10% (again relative to my tanita scale) to 'show' well. And before everyone jumps on me, i don't know what my BF really will be, this is the only number i have to work with!

But as everyone says, it's more about crafting a serious diet (the right foods, not less food) and doing some work (but not that much) in the gym, but again read up on some nutrition books at barnes & noble or the library.

Impulse155

Reaction score
yea when i said soda i meant MAYBE once a month twice tops (1 cup) and for the chocolate, last time ive had candy and stuff b4 valentines day was @ christmas/new years. I think i have what it takes, its just a matter of me getting enough knowledge and workout plans etc.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you asked our opinions -

It doesn't matter. Why do you want a "6-pack." Just be healthy. Exercise should be about body health, not what your body looks like. You can be healthy and not have a 6 pack. I like your desire to lose weight, to lower your body fat and to be healthy. But don't get so narcisistic as to care about how defined your 6 pack is or how big your biceps are or anything like that. When you're 75, you'll wonder why you wasted so much time obsessing over it. And if it's girls you care about, a girl who likes you more because you can bench 200 instead of 185 isn't someone you want to be with in the first place.

~ my tuppence

Ott

Reaction score
even if you're only exercising for aesthetic reasons, a six pack is a ****** goal. Would you rather be 150lbs and emaciated, or would you rather be 180 with some muscle and a bit of fat?

No one really gives a **** about your body fat %, within reason.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be happy enough that I lost 30 lbs if I was you. That's an incredible accomplishment.

You keep saying you are eating a couple of bad things, and when people tell you try try cutting those things, you get very defensive. Well believe it or not, that's the right answer. Work harder at eating better, otherwise you have no chance.

Also the friday saturday gym thing is not going to work. You already said you party, that means 1/2 or more of those workouts are gonna get canceled because of parties. And once a week is not enough to build on anything anyway. Stick to running and minor calisthenics at home, and work on your food.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd rather be putting up 405 for reps than have a 6pack

Valgar

Reaction score
Start doing squats and deadlifts. You can easily work your triceps and chest on the same day. 2 days a week really isn't enough though.

As Arethusa already mentioned, getting a 6 pack is about your diet. I know I linked to several sites in the former thread on that.

Impulse155

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I would be happy enough that I lost 30 lbs if I was you. That's an incredible accomplishment.

You keep saying you are eating a couple of bad things, and when people tell you try try cutting those things, you get very defensive. Well believe it or not, that's the right answer. Work harder at eating better, otherwise you have no chance.

Also the friday saturday gym thing is not going to work. You already said you party, that means 1/2 or more of those workouts are gonna get canceled because of parties. And once a week is not enough to build on anything anyway. Stick to running and minor calisthenics at home, and work on your food.

Only reason why i was being defensive is b/c i dont like when people go "Theres no hope for you" and dont explain why, or try to help. I have never missed a day @ the gym ever since i started working at the Y. (I excersize for the 1/2 hour breaks i got,1-2 of these and about 45 mins after on both days) Ill start doing the deadlifts and like i think i said b4, i wont beh having the snacks nor the soda for the next 40 days so hopefully thatll help and break a habit of eating them at all.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point that is trying to get through is that the six pack look results much more from a lack of fat covering the ab muscles. You can be in great shape with very well developed muscles in the ab area. However, if there is the slightest bit of fat, the definition will not show the same. As someone else wrote, start cutting, if you feel that doing that would be healthy for you. It is certainly debateable whether it is healthy.

Congrats on the weight loss and achieving that goal. If I were you, I'd be more interested in gaining more strength within a moderate/normal "zone type" diet. Look at some of the workouts and forum comments at CrossFit.com for some good pointers and direction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads