• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

6' 5" tall, Wide Shoulders, Skinny/Athletic - Best Polo That's Not Skin Tight?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been searching and lurking for quite some time, and now making a move on buying clothes that fit my body properly. I'm a unique size, so I've never had clothes that truly fit right. I have broad shoulders, but am otherwise pretty thin. I've attached a few of the scarce pictures I could find of me on facebook. All within the last 12 months, expect for the mini-golf one. That was four years ago. Forgive the hair. Here's the thing. I've never liked the skin-tight shirts (or pants/jeans). I stay far away from anything remotely close to skinny jeans, but I'm excited about clothes that complement my body style. That said, I've never worn a polo shirt that I've looked good in. I'm willing to get the shirts that I buy altered, so that being said, what is the best brand and fit I should be looking for with my body type? Thanks guys, -Evan Edit; It seems to me that I have a really long neck, so anything that could make it look more normal and proportional, the better.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
>38.5" chest >33.5" waist >18.5" shoulders >implying you are skinny and have broad shoulders my face:
1281433056668s.jpg

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fycus
>38.5" chest
>33.5" waist
>implying you are skinny and have broad shoulders

my face:
1281433056668s.jpg

Not following you.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't that skinny and your shoulders aren't crazy broad. If you are looking for a more formal shirt, go with Brooks Brothers Extra Slimfit in size large. Also, Polo slimfit size large and jcrew's new slimfit's size large will work as well. All shirts will be blousy at the bottom, so take them to a tailor and get them better fitted. For chinos, the 484 comes in a relatively slim fit and a decent inseam. Levis 511 and 514 chinos are also good and come in 34 inseams for the most part.

Jeans, stick with 514 or 511 (sized up) if you are trying to be cheap. Jcrew does a nice jean in the 484 leg that can be had for under $100 bones and even cheaper if on sale. Levi's matchstick is also a nice fit which is somewhere in between the 511 and 514. APC New Standard is the basic slim straight raw denim. Also, 3sixteen does a nice raw denim at a fair price and Nudies are often on sale.

Best t-shirts are the pocket tees from Brooks Brothers 346 outlet line. They fit perfect and don't loose shape after wearing. I think they are around $15 on sale. Other nice tees are the jcrew jaspe tees but they shrink up a little boxy after a hot dry.

Flight Bird

Reaction score
These pictures of him are hilarious, someone please x-post to a chan

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes you are tall and slim. But you are not an anomaly when it comes to sizing. I can't speak knowledgeably when it comes to helping you find clothes that fit you for several reasons, two of which are 1) You have been with your body longer than anyone else and 2) I am short and slim.

But if you truly are finding it difficult to find shirts that fit you well, try out a made to measure shirt(this forum is full of threads about several MTM options). Start by trying out all the extra slim fit shirts out there and tweak the measurements of these shirts to your liking.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Yes you are tall and slim. But you are not an anomaly when it comes to sizing. I can't speak knowledgeably when it comes to helping you find clothes that fit you for several reasons, two of which are 1) You have been with your body longer than anyone else and 2) I am short and slim.

But if you truly are finding it difficult to find shirts that fit you well, try out a made to measure shirt(this forum is full of threads about several MTM options). Start by trying out all the extra slim fit shirts out there and tweak the measurements of these shirts to your liking.

What about for polo shirts, specifically?

-Evan

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
are you clay aiken?

also, uh, j crew, target, banana republic, how can we tell what fits you? american apparel will fit slim but they are apparently going out of business or something

Ahheck01

Reaction score
The issue I have with OTR shirts is that, if they're wide enough on the shoulders, they're waaaay to wide around the stomach. They're also almost always too short, too. Finding a good fitting, quality polo would be wonderful, I just don't know where to start looking given my excessive height for OTR polo's.

-Evan

unexpected

Reaction score
Dude, I'm 6'4", slightly bigger than you (34" waist, 42" chest, 19.5" shoulders). I've had luck with the Ralph Lauren custom-fit polos (get size large) and J.Crew (size mediums).

Also, Banana Republic makes M/T (medium TALL) polos that'll fit you just fine.

Remember if you want to avoid shrinking, dry clean your polos.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flight Bird
These pictures of him are hilarious, someone please x-post to a chan

yes just what we need more forced meme attempts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads